“Best in dells”

Glacier Canyon Lodge
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My family of 4 purchased another families wyndham timeshare via Craigslist for 4 nights at this resort, we paid $130 per night for a deluxe 1 br suite. We have stayed in the wilderness part of the resort before so we already knew that we liked the property, but I have to say the glacier canyon lodge area of the resort is exceptional, mainly due to the suite.

The 1 br had a huge king bedroom with a in room 2 person jacuzzi tub, tv and vanity. The main bathroom was huge with a stand up shower, sink and vanity, toilet and a washer and dryer. The main area had a full kitchen with modern appliances and utensils and a full dining room in addition to a bar style island with stools, the living room had a leather couch with pullout queen bed a good size flat screen tv and gas fireplace, and doors to the patio.

All the furnishings and linens were in excellent shape and were of good quality, it was extremely comfortable, and great to have a room that we can have the comforts of home and the ability to cook meals.

As for the resort, you won't find a better one if you have kids in the 6-15 age group, it really has something for everyone, however older kids may like a faster environment like Olympus or Noah's ark, and it may be a bit overwhelming for toddlers

Regardless I would recommend the resort and specifically the glacier canyon side to anyone

I almost forgot, sorrento's pizza is onsite, my favorite pizza in the world!

4  Thank derloc12

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I opted for our family to stay at the Glacier Canyon Resort after realizing the outdoor pool right outside the hotel was more geared towards the kids in our family (5 1/2 and 4). It was the perfect fit for us and the weather was great so it worked out. The kids didn't have to walk far to get to the water park, go karts or mini-golf that was all approriate for their age level (they couldn't drive the go karts and both were an extra fee). That being said, I don't know if I would stay here in the winter b/c it is a bit of hike from the actual Wilderness and there isn't an indoor waterpark. They have a skywalk and a line that picks people up but I would like the convience in the winter time of being closer to the waterparks. I would have to balance that with the chaos and noise though since the hotel would be packed on a weekend in the winter. If you have older kids that can handle the walk they probably won't care but if you have younger kids who are tired from being in the water but don't like strollers this is a big deal!

We had the cheapest room possible. Our bed wasn't the greatest, definetly needed to be replaced. Also, they had a fun pass but none of it could be used at Glacier Canyon. Thank god we didn't pay for it. So pay attention to what you are buying and what you will be doing. We didn't get the full kitchen but they did have a big enough fridge to hold beverages and snacks, not much room for much else however. The waterpark closed at 8 so no problems getting the kids to bed.

Overall it was exactly the experience I anticipated. Lots of water fun!

Reviewed 17 August 2012 via mobile

I love this place and will be back. This year for vacation we stayed in a 2 bedroom condo at Glacier Canyon Lodge instead of a room at the Wilderness Hotel. The room was beautiful!!! It was the perfect size for a family of 5. I loved having a full kitchen and plenty of places to eat. The fireplace was nice too. We had a room facing the waterpark and all of us enjoyed watching the fun below while having rest time.

My 23 month old had a blast this year. There are so many water areas for little ones. My 11 year old loved the wave pool. I think he would've stayed there 24/7 if possible. The wave pool is all enclosed so even if the weather is bad you can still utilize it.

The hotel is HUGE, so be prepared for lots of walking. There are shuttles to take you around the hotel but plan on waiting. Sometimes the shuttle is full and you have to wait for them to come back around.

I wish Glacier Canyon had more activities on that side but all in all, it's a great hotel with tons to do. We will be back.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Robin W
Reviewed 16 August 2012

There are 3 parts to the Wilderness that are all connected they are the Wilderness Wild West,New Frontier and Glacier Canyon.For outdoor swimming Glacier Canyon has "LostWorld" that is the best for adults and older kids. For indoor there is Wild Water Dome that has a wave pool and Klondike Kavern that are next to each other. There are a total of 3 outdoor and 3 indoor pool areas. To walk from one area to another you go to the second floor and you can go from one end of the resort to the other. If you don't wan't to walk there are shuttle bus's that run about every 15 min as well as golf cart shuttles

Room Tip: 2nd floor is the only way to get around indoors
Reviewed 15 August 2012

We just returned from a 2 night stay in a 1 bedroom premier condo @ GCL. This is our 3rd stay in the Dells & we decided we're not even going to try another waterpark resort after our stay here! Our condo was very spacious and my 10 yr old son loved the Murphy bed/sleeping setup in the living room. The kitchen contained the minimum amount of cookware to get by but had no kitchen towels, washcloths or paper towels. Moms - bring your own foil, ziplocs and paper towels! Pillows are small - if you have space in your car, bring your own! Our building location (1) was perfect for access to our outdoor water park and was right by the footpath to walk to Klondike Kavern & the Wild Water Dome. Indoor walkway access was right there also but the footpath is quicker (figured this out on our last day of course). We checked out every waterpark with the exception of the options at Wilderness on the Lake. Our outdoor park was our favorite and we loved the wave pool at the Wild Water Dome. Again be forewarned - that water goes to a 6 ft depth & the waves and crowd made it hard for me to swim out the deeper end. I HIGHLY recommend you don't let your kids go anywhere that deep without an adult or a tube, period! For thrill rides, we loved the 2 new slides at Lost Canyon (GCL's outdoor water park), Halley's Comet Racers (GCL) & the Hurricane at Klondike Kavern. We didn't use much in the way of dining or extra activities so I can't share any tips there. The food & beverage is fairly pricey which is why we made full use of our kitchen area. This is not an inexpensive resort; I'll be interested to see what prices are offered in the off season for a return trip this winter. BUT, you get what you pay for and you certainly will not run out of water areas to play in or other entertainment options! It was well worth the cost.

3  Thank WN3986
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed in a two bedroom deluxe villa and it was very nice. There is a murphy bed in the living room and a curtain that goes in between the living room with the bed and the kitchen area, so it's really not so bad to sleep there. We thought the room was very clean. I do agree that the walls are pretty thin, or else there was a very large person running around above us. However, I have a white noise app for my phone and that did the trick. It is also difficult to maintain the same temp between the main room and the bedrooms with the doors shut.

The waterparks were also very nice. There were so many. The place is absolutely huge, but I don't think it's something to complain about. You don't have to go everywhere! We did turned around a few times though. Saturday was a nice day and it was kind of difficult to get a tube for the lazy river, but we eventually did. Sunday was much better since many people had checked out. So I'd recommend avoiding the weekend if you can. The wave pool was really intense.

The staff I interacted with were pretty nice and spoke English. Lifeguards seemed pretty standard to me. I'd say our main qualms were the prices of drinks and lack of night life at the resort. I stayed here with a group of 3 other people in our early 30s with a baby and a baby sitter (grandma). We would have liked something to do at night without having to drive or take a taxi, but the bar was dead and 4 drinks were like $35. So I guess most people hang out in their room. The bartender said we could take the shuttle to Monk's and walk to Marley's but we didn't feel that adventurous. I'd highly recommend bringing your own drinks (don't tell anyone but you can probably sneak them in the waterpark). We didn't eat there, assuming it would be mediocre/poor resort food. We had a regular size fridge so bringing food was fine and I remember hearing there were grills around there.

We are already planning on coming back next year and making sure we get there earlier in the day to enjoy it longer and trying to find the room for less on priceline or something. It's nice that they allow you to come into the waterpark at 11 am although check in is not till 4. Our room was ready when we got there at 2 which we appreciated. This room was a great set up for 5 people and a baby, since we had a living room to hang out in and two bathrooms. Much better than getting separate hotel rooms.

1  Thank Lirpa P
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Don't plan on getting a full nights sleep here. Crying kid next door at 1am sounded like they where in the same room with us! And kids up above us sounded like they where gonna come right threw the ceiling! Water parks where a blast, but life guards looked like there where asleep! Won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Get a top corner room!
1  Thank sarahrip