“Fun for the Entire Family” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Glacier Canyon Lodge

Glacier Canyon Lodge
Ranked #13 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Fun for the Entire Family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

I have many reasons to give this an excellent review. We stayed in a two bedroom deluxe with a three boys (2, 4, 13) and a nine year old girl. I have all boys so bringing the little girl next door to help offset the testosterone is a must for me! The room is a little more pricey then other rooms, but you can afford this if you eat in. There is a full kitchen with everything you need. We brought all the drinks, crockpot meals, and lunches. Crockpot meals are a must because no one wants to cook on vacation, but anyone with small children knows what a horrific experience trying to eat in a resturant can be!!!! Ok, so enough my family and how we budget. Here is why I gave this an excellent rating;
Lots of waterparks with easy access. Its free to hop around to different areas of this resort and schedules are posted every where in the hotel. If its too hot or cold you can pick an indoor play area.
Parking is always available
The staff goes above and beyond- like when I accidentally put my son's FAVORITE blankie in with the towels. I called the front desk and they sent an army down to search through all the towels to find the blankie and returned it before a bedtime meltdown!
The room was spotless clean when we arrived.
Maintenance is available at all times- when you think your fridge is leaking, but its really one of your frozen crock pot meals..it happens
There is a shop if you need any emergency items. For example waterproof sunscreen for babies seems safe till my accident prone 2 year old got it in his eyes and his eyes swelled shut.
We also loved Glacier Canyon because its close to many attractions!
The kids loved the knucklehead indoor amusement park, Riverside and Great Northern Railway, and the legendary deer park.

Room Tip: If you get a standard room, I would caution you not to get one in a walkway. Some of the waterparks...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank BrianneB3

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
GRINNELL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

GCL....great place great stay. All the other reviews cover the pro's. Space and room to stretch out. Place to cook. Full fridge. murphy bed was a nice perk. One con...Lower the big screen TV in the living room. Hurt my neck to try and look up at it. Try to stay non=peak off times. Was busy crazy....animal house weekend when we were there. We have stayed at the Wilderness probably 15 times over the past ten years. It is our favorite location in the dells. This was our first go at the GCL. We will be back...just off peak - non weekend.

Room Tip: stay on 2nd floor...easy access to skywalk. Or stay 3rd floor and you will not have to deal with n...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank IowaKclan
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

Stayed in the Glacier Lodge-not Wyndham side. We stayed in the 2 bedroom with Kitchen. It was perfect. The front desk, not so much. We arrived early, around 11:30, and I was told the the room was not ready, they'd call as soon as it was done. OK, I understand. They gave me our wristbands for the water park. However, I got hot outside at 2:00 PM, and sat in the corridor on the floor the room was on drinking a coke waiting for our room to get cleaned. No one came. No cleaning was done between 2:00 and 3:00 PM when I was finally notified my room was ready. So how long was that room actually ready? Dozens of other people on that floor brought their suitcases into their already clean rooms while I was sitting there. Just tell me it won't be done until check-in time. Personal pet peeve.

The water parks were very nice. Easy access to three of the parks, shuttle to others. Clean, well kept up, plenty of room, lots of tubes. Only downside is the preoccupation with the towels. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

3 Thank Ghostwheel
NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Glacier canyon was simply awesome from the second we pulled up. Yes, it is big, huge in fact. Yes, there is a lot of walking. But,I am the average out of shape American and my family including a 6 and 8 year old had no problem getting to all the different spots in the property. No one pool was ever over crowded. We were there midweek before labor day weekend, and it did get more crowded on Friday night, but still, as long as you know what you are getting into, I totally disagree with any negative reviews.
Check-in took less than 5 minutes and the front desk girls were very friendly. The coupon book we got from the Wyndham desk took 1 minute and when we said we weren't interested in the tour they said thank you and we never heard from them again. The room was clean and comfortable(basic 2 queen room.) we visited all of the waterparks and each had different features. The entire property connects along the second floor. Very simple, want to go from building to building, go to floor 2 and walk..and there absolutely are signs everywhere. The reviews that say this property is difficult to find your way around are totally just not true. People just need to read the signs!
The pools and property are clean, the public areas spotless. Considering how many people are there, and the number of water parks, the place is very clean and well maintained.
I found the lifeguards to be attentive, and I disagree with the complaints about the lifeguards in other reviews. But, some people feel they don't need to watch their kids, and the lifeguards are not a babysitting service. Lifeguards or not people sould watchntheirkids in a water park.
We did choose to eat off the property mostly just because we like to check out the local cuisine. We did have poolside lunch which was typical burger/ hotdog poolside stuff.
Really wisconsin dells as a whole was great, and glacier canyon was excellent. My whole family loved it, and we will make the long trek from ny again. Thanks to Wisconsin dells and glacier canyon for a great vacation.

Room Tip: For a quieter room ask for a floor other then 2, which is the main corridor connecting the buildings...
2 Thank doclorenzo
Brandon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

My family of 4 purchased another families wyndham timeshare via Craigslist for 4 nights at this resort, we paid $130 per night for a deluxe 1 br suite. We have stayed in the wilderness part of the resort before so we already knew that we liked the property, but I have to say the glacier canyon lodge area of the resort is exceptional, mainly due to the suite.

The 1 br had a huge king bedroom with a in room 2 person jacuzzi tub, tv and vanity. The main bathroom was huge with a stand up shower, sink and vanity, toilet and a washer and dryer. The main area had a full kitchen with modern appliances and utensils and a full dining room in addition to a bar style island with stools, the living room had a leather couch with pullout queen bed a good size flat screen tv and gas fireplace, and doors to the patio.

All the furnishings and linens were in excellent shape and were of good quality, it was extremely comfortable, and great to have a room that we can have the comforts of home and the ability to cook meals.

As for the resort, you won't find a better one if you have kids in the 6-15 age group, it really has something for everyone, however older kids may like a faster environment like Olympus or Noah's ark, and it may be a bit overwhelming for toddlers

Regardless I would recommend the resort and specifically the glacier canyon side to anyone

I almost forgot, sorrento's pizza is onsite, my favorite pizza in the world!

4 Thank derloc12
Green Bay, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

I opted for our family to stay at the Glacier Canyon Resort after realizing the outdoor pool right outside the hotel was more geared towards the kids in our family (5 1/2 and 4). It was the perfect fit for us and the weather was great so it worked out. The kids didn't have to walk far to get to the water park, go karts or mini-golf that was all approriate for their age level (they couldn't drive the go karts and both were an extra fee). That being said, I don't know if I would stay here in the winter b/c it is a bit of hike from the actual Wilderness and there isn't an indoor waterpark. They have a skywalk and a line that picks people up but I would like the convience in the winter time of being closer to the waterparks. I would have to balance that with the chaos and noise though since the hotel would be packed on a weekend in the winter. If you have older kids that can handle the walk they probably won't care but if you have younger kids who are tired from being in the water but don't like strollers this is a big deal!

We had the cheapest room possible. Our bed wasn't the greatest, definetly needed to be replaced. Also, they had a fun pass but none of it could be used at Glacier Canyon. Thank god we didn't pay for it. So pay attention to what you are buying and what you will be doing. We didn't get the full kitchen but they did have a big enough fridge to hold beverages and snacks, not much room for much else however. The waterpark closed at 8 so no problems getting the kids to bed.

Overall it was exactly the experience I anticipated. Lots of water fun!

Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012 via mobile

I love this place and will be back. This year for vacation we stayed in a 2 bedroom condo at Glacier Canyon Lodge instead of a room at the Wilderness Hotel. The room was beautiful!!! It was the perfect size for a family of 5. I loved having a full kitchen and plenty of places to eat. The fireplace was nice too. We had a room facing the waterpark and all of us enjoyed watching the fun below while having rest time.

My 23 month old had a blast this year. There are so many water areas for little ones. My 11 year old loved the wave pool. I think he would've stayed there 24/7 if possible. The wave pool is all enclosed so even if the weather is bad you can still utilize it.

The hotel is HUGE, so be prepared for lots of walking. There are shuttles to take you around the hotel but plan on waiting. Sometimes the shuttle is full and you have to wait for them to come back around.

I wish Glacier Canyon had more activities on that side but all in all, it's a great hotel with tons to do. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2012