“Our grandchildren love it - and so do we”

Glacier Canyon Lodge
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, United States
“Our grandchildren love it - and so do we”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We've stayed at Glacier Canyon previously, both alone and with our grandchildren. This year we took the 4 yr. old for 2 nights and the following week took the 9 & 6 yr. old girls for 5 nights. We routinely go out for both breakfast and dinner, but have lunch in our suite. Just love the 2 bedroom suites with the 2nd bedroom containing a queen bed and a lofted bunk bed! We enjoy all of the waterparks on the property and appreciate that only registered guests can use the facilities - keeps the crowds a little smaller. My 2 older granddaughters asked to go to the Polka Dot pottery shop and had a wonderful time. They also thoroughly enjoyed the ropes course - with my husband required to go with the 6 yr. old because she was too short to go alone. Having now stayed at Glacier Canyon a number of times, we receive terrific "deals" each spring for upcoming summer stays - definitely a bonus for a return customer.

Room Tip: Enjoy rooms on a higher floor overlooking one of the water parks.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We did a mini family trip with grandchildren 6,8, and 9. It was great for that. The unit we had was well set up with most things need to a stay. Now for the management. We came in on a Weekend which of course was there busy time. Stood in line for 15 minutes for check in to find out we had stood in the wrong line we were to be in the owners line. Got to the room and all seemed to be fine except the whirlpool did not work. Now if you want to go to bed early forget it as there was constant children running up and down halls and yelling and streaming. But we are in a children's playground.

Room Tip: we rented a time share from a private person so a choice was not an option but it was an okay locati...
Hanover, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed at Glacier Canyon Lodge for three nights the week before Labor Day with our family of four. We rented a two bedroom condo that was very spacious. We chose to cook all of our meals in rather than go out to dinner. The cooking utensils they provided were somewhat limited but we were able to make it work. Our kids, ages 11 and 9, preferred the New Frontier water park the most. The day we left the weather was a little overcast and we did not have to wait in line for any of the slides. The only negative is that the floors could use a major cleaning. Our socks and feet were soiled even after running the vacuum that was provided for our room.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Duluth, MN
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed at Glacier Canyon Lodge, part of the Wilderness Resort the weekend after labor day. This was an excellent time to go because the crowds were greatly reduced and we pretty much had the run of the resort and the city! We rented a two bedroom condo for four nights (average price of about $150/night). The room was very large and had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a full kitchen, dining room and living room. We found the accommodations clean and in good shape. Housekeeping staff always did a very good job, although they only exchange towels and remove trash unless you choose to pay extra. If you stay 5 nights they will do a full clean automatically. For most people it's not a big deal to make your bed each day. The resort also boasts three indoor waterparks and several arcade areas with indoor mini golf and a ropes course. This is a fantastic place to take both adults and kids. Be aware however that the resort is very large and will require walking to the indoor water parks and other amusement areas...there is a shuttle bus if mobility is an issue. Also be aware that there are Wyndam vacation properties as a part of the resort so you will see sales staff in the lobby area near the check-in counter. It's best to check in at the front desk and them promptly make your way out. Unless you are genuinely interested in purchasing into the vacation properties do not engage them in conversation (or their lure of gift cards, etc...). Also be aware that this is a family resort, so there will be kids running around. During the daytime you will likely hear loud footsteps from the floor above...this usually quiets down by 9 pm. I highly recommend this resort, especially if you want a room with a lot of space or extra amenities.

Room Tip: A higher floor means less noise from above, especially kids running around.
1 Thank deepbluetraveler
Evanston, IL
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We just returned from a 4 day/ 5 night stay at the Glacier Canyon Lodge. At first I liked the place. The condo was comfortable (although they do not do housecleaning unless you stay for 5 nights which can get uncomfortable when you go as a family).

We went after Labor Day and so the property was pretty quiet and nice during the week. By Wednesday, more people started coming and by Thursday it was very busy. I can see why this would be an unpleasant place to stay during the height of summer. It is a very large property that offers a bus service/ water taxi to take you around. However, when it started to get crowded, the wait times for the bus went up and the busses were crowded and not always air conditioned.

The water parks too were overrun. Do not try to ask the lifeguards or coffee shop staff any questions. Most seem to come from other countries and do not speak English. One young man who served as a lifeguard snapped at me to "take it" when I asked if a certain chair was his life guard chair. Nice!

But the piece de resistance came on our last night when a bridal party awoke my 2-year old slumbering daughter at 3 am and me. I called the hotel and they did *try* to identify the issue and couldn't. I called back 15 minutes later and the young woman manning the desk said "Oh it's probably the bridal party near your room. Do you want me to have security put a stop to it?" Um yes, that sure would be nice! She did, but the party continued banging drawers around for another hour and we did not get back to sleep until 4:30 a.m.!

When I called in the a.m. to complain and ask for a refund for the night, some extremely unprofessional young woman at the desk (I'm guessing it was "Brienne" but cannot be positive) told me that it was my fault that security didn't immediately identify the noise because I (in my sleep-induced state) could not identify precisely where the noise was coming from. Um I'm unfamiliar with your resort and awoken from dead sleep. So sorry to be unhelpful Brianne!"
She practically laughed at me for asking for my money back. When I told her that the first time I called during the night, staff could have id'd the bridal party as the noise source since the woman who answered the phone obviously knew about it, she told me that there was NO WAY the bridal party could have been responsible for the noise since they were "all the way on the other side of the hotel."

Meanwhile when we took a walk later, we saw the big "bridal party" signs on the doors very near to our hotel room.

Ok, so she wouldn't refund our money for the previous night. So I asked for a late checkout since my 2-year old daughter would certainly be spent and require a morning nap. Again she was horrible and told me that there were people waiting for our room and the best she could do was allow us to check out one hour later at noon. Gee thanks! I told her that check in time was at 4 p.m. and I found it odd that someone would be waiting for our room already at 10 a.m. She seemed a bit caught but still continued the lie. Very very unprofessional.

My daughter was a mess the next morning due to lack of sleep the night before and she crashed at 11 a.m. I called the front desk and asked again to check out at 1 p.m. Grudgingly they agreed. But at 1 p.m. on the dot, a team of probably 10 cleaning staff started surrounding our door and haranguing us to get out. We were going as fast as we could quickly feeding our daughter. All would have been fine if we had been able to sleep through the night before.

We ended up leaving at 1:20 with a staff of angry cleaning people surrounding us. It was horrible.

Just one other thing. I had rented a movie one night and only watched probably 20 minutes of it before being too tired to continue it. It was $15 (believe that?!). I was able to pause it for 24 hours but I had to start watching it before 9:52 p.m. the following evening. At 10 p.m. the following evening, I still had not been able to watch the movie for various reasons. I called the front desk to ask them to reset it (any skin of their back, um no). The unprofessional rude girl who answered the phone said "I can't reset it. You were able to watch 25 minutes of it". She could have easily been nice and reset it. No reason why she couldn't but poor training. Gee, one more reason to NEVER come to this place again

The place is big and the staff are not well trained or professional. I would try to find another place to stay at avoid Glacier Canyon Lodge if you can.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on a higher floor if you do choose to go here, but it won't help much. This place is...
3 Thank emilyjj
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I thought this place was clean until my 2 year old laid down on the bed and I saw the bottom of his feet. They were black! Then I looked at mine. Black. The carpet was so dirty that it made our feet actually turn black. They sent someone to vacuum. Still our feet turned black. They said they could transfer us to a different room but couldn't guarantee it wouldn't be the same. Gross. Will not go back. They obviously do not take care of or properly clean the rooms.

1 Thank KCV5
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The resort smells clean and new, our 2 B,R, deluxe room was very comfy and roomy. The décor throughout keeps with the woodsy northern feel. Restaurant felt like a chain, but prices were reasonable for breakfast. All in all our family had a fun visit, my granddaughter loved the water parks, though on Saturday the noise volume was ear-splitting and she kept her hands over her ears! Sunday was calmer. I would not go again on a summer Saturday.
I do have a couple of complaints: we arrived tired and cranky and had to stand in line for a "coupon book" (time share pitch) to even get an answer to the simple question: " how do we get to the water park?" Other staff in the lobby area would not divulge this information. Guests should be warned ahead that the sheer size of this place requires a lot of walking or a lot of waiting for shuttle buses.

Room Tip: If you are a group, consider booking a 2-bedroom unit instead of 2 separate hotel rooms. It was che...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family