“Great Family Vaca”

Ranked #15 of 74 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Bloomington, Illinois
“Great Family Vaca”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Visited Glacier Canyon in June this year with my family. Booked the 3 bedroom family suite. We had a great time. Spent most our days at the waterparks. Really nice to just walk about your door and have just about everything you need right on the property. We only left the resort one night! Condo was well taken care of, had everything we needed to eat most our meals there, saving some vaca bucks. Made some invaluable memories with the family. Will definitely return!

Stayed June 2014

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
new york
Reviewed 5 August 2014

from check in to check out we had a great family vacation. We purchased fun passes and it is much cheaper to do it that way than to pay for each attraction individually. the staff here was very accommodating. the pools, indoor and out were so much fun. there is a lazy river, wave pools, bumper boats and it's all inclusive. We played mini golf, one was 3D. did a rope course, inside go cars and outside ones. there is a zip line and much more to do with the fun passes. worth the money to get a pass for each family member that is over 10.
the only negative I can think of is not the resorts fault, its noise in the hallway, like running kids, sometimes I didn't know if it was our hallway or upstairs.

the room/kitchen was wonderful, we had most meals in the room and then went right back to the activities. there is a bit of walking from one activity to another so make sure you plan your activities according to where you are going to be.
we had housekeeping come in and change/make the beds, provide new towels, coffee, paper towels and toilet paper
I would come back again.

chicago
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This place is a mixed bag. The waterparks are great and a fun activity for kids of all ages. There is plenty to keep everyone busy and happy for 2+ days. The accommodations and customer service, however, leave something significant to be desired. We were in unit 2030-32, which is a 3 bedroom unit in glacier canyon. It's well laid out and has lots of space--for us, enough for 5 adults and 6 kids. It seems fairly new so the bathrooms and kitchen are nice. But there were a number of significant problems. First, the amount of noise above us was absolutely unreal. The first time I called, at 9 pm, I was told that they will enforce quiet time at 10 pm. Great. So when the noise persisted past 10 pm (and we're talking incessant keep-you-from-sleeping noise-- like they were bouncing balls or jumping or had a very large number of people walking back and forth, back and forth. It was so bad that I went upstairs to see if we were directly underneath a flight of stairs or common area), and I called back, I expected something to be done. If they did anything about it, it was completely ineffectual. At 230 am, when we were STILL awake from the noise, the wilderness inched pretty low on my list of places to return. This isn't to mention the loud noise from the elevator, water pipes banging overnight, and the fact that we were on a basement level with a patio in the middle of the bushes, despite the fact that all other units of our category appeared to have superior outdoor areas. And then ... on our second night/morning, the power went out. No air conditioning. No lights. No white noise machine to drown out the noise. I have a 3 month old and a two-year-old. We need air conditioning -- not to mention lights -- and we were paying $800 per night to have those basic amenities. More minor things but nonetheless annoying included that there was a kitchen but no paper towels or napkins, and we never had housekeeping of any sort. No garbage changed out. No beds made. None of it.

Now. At any normal hotel where you are paying this amount of money, I would expect some sort of remuneration for the inconvenience -- or at least a heartfelt apology and some attention to fixing the issue in the future. We received exactly the opposite. At check out, I spoke with Joshua Jones, who is the supervisor at Glacier Canyon. He is, by far, one of the worst-behaved hotel managers I have interacted with. I explained to him what our issues were. After every sentence, he mockingly said, "I'm really sorry you're unhappy." Remember those games you played as a 10-year-old where you just repeated everything the other person said, ad naseum? Like that but almost more irritating. As in: "We didn't have any housekeeping." "I'm really sorry you're unhappy." "The power was out for a large chunk of time." "I'm really sorry you're unhappy." "The noise above us kept us from sleeping for almost an entire night." "I'm really sorry you're unhappy." Are you kidding me? At one point, he went so far as to say, "oh so you're not going to come back again"? Uh. Well. That's certainly not the way to encourage repeat customers. Instead of dealing with the actual problems, and providing some incentive for us to return next year, he provided us with yet ANOTHER negative experience. Management is supposed to swoop in and figure out how to solve problems like these. Yet this man had no interest in trying to figure out how to solve these problems, or how to make or keep us happy, which speaks to the fact that there is no hope of the problems being remedied any time soon.

In short: Go to the waterparks. They're fun. But stay elsewhere.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank adk
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We rented our condo at Glacier Canyon through VRBO.com. No problems there, and much cheaper than booking through the lodge directly.

The waterparks at the Wilderness are great for families, especially for those with young kids. Lots of options for the 7 and under set, but I think enough to keep teenagers entertained as well. Spoke with a few moms of teenagers, and all seemed happy!

Lots to do indoor and outdoor. Easy access to nearby restaurants, and plenty that deliver to your room. The setting is surprisingly peaceful considering the number of people that are here.

It is wonderful to have an in-room washer/dryer. It makes packing for 5 kids, much easier! It would be nice, however if the machines were a tad bigger, we joke that its like doing laundry in a teacup. My machine at home (the largest-capacity noncommercial machine available) could do in one load what the machine in this condo does in 4 loads, but it's better than nothing!!!

Also, we did have a problem with the washing machine and they had maintenance staff at our condo within 20 minutes of my call to the desk, and the machine fixed within an hour. So, kudos to the Wilderness on that one!

Overall, the condo is clean and comfy. Beds are firm, but not too firm, and pillows are good too! I've seen places that are cleaner, but only a few. So, all, in all, a great place to spend a week with family!

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are convenient, but come at the cost of privacy. If you are on the ground floor...
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We spent 4 days at this resort with a party of 6. Therefore we chose the 3 BR rooms, which actually are two rooms connected. Probably one Room would have been enough as the living room as a queen size bed on the wall, but we still decided to go for the 3 BR option as this would give us 2 and 1/2 bathrooms.
The Wilderness Area is huge and it might have taken us 15-20 minute walk from our room to some watermarks. Probably staying at the Wilderness Hotel would have been more convenient.
The watermarks are amazing. We enjoyed a lot at Klondike Kavern, New Frontier and Lake Wilderness. Glacier Canyon has probably the most simple Waterpark but the Cosmic Drop is a must be for any teen or adult. The free fall is a brave thrilling breathtaking experience.
We had almost all our meals prepared in room thanks to the kitchen, that allowed us more flexibility with the kind of food and no need to walk a lot. Wilderness Hotel has practically the only restaurant and the rest is oread out as small fast food option, which we don´t wanted.
The other attractions are cool for the kids too like 2 karts, 3 mini golf courses and some arcades.
Checking out was easy without the need to go to the reception again. And customer service excellent as we forgot something in the room and they first contacted me to confirm if they could mail it to us, never seen that, awesome.
I guess we need to come back again next summer. Kids have lots of fun.

Room Tip: 2 BR can easily hold 6 persons. Wilderness Resort keeps you closer to the majority of the good water...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I enjoyed my stay recently with my family at the Glacier Canyon Lodge. The resort has a number of activities that will keep the kids happy and we all enjoyed the water parks located throughout. Food at the resort was ok..about what I would expect for the location, but the nice part is if you don't want to eat at the resort there are plenty of options nearby that are good.

Service wise, I wasn't very impressed. From the moment I checked in, I didn't get the sense the staff would be to helpful. The girl at the front desk tried to pawn me off on a coworker and then when she did check me in she didn't want to take the time explaining the various waivers I was asked to sign. I was also very disappointed there wasn't daily housekeeping service despite the price we were paying for the room. Having two young kids, the room can get pretty crazy! Granted, the water park prices were included as part of those costs, but you would think that a top resort would at least give you the option to include daily housekeeping service without asking for additional money. Just something to consider.

Some of the rooms have fully kitchens, which is something I found very valuable! They have plenty of dishes, pots, pans, etc. There is also a grocery store nearby so you can stock up on food if you want to have something in the room and avoid eating out every meal.

The water parks are entertaining and there are plenty of options. From water slides, wave pools, lazy rivers, etc. It does get a bit crowded on weekend and lines can get long, but that's something you would expect in the summer. The good part is you can move around and try different water parks to get some variety.

All in all, the family had fun and if you are in the area, it's worth looking into the resort. Just be aware of some aspects that may impact your stay.

1 Thank txtraveler97
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was our 4th year back at GCL. Love having the lodging on site of the waterparks. We usually get the 2 BR room which has a King bed in one BR, a queen in the other with a single bunk overhead. The family room??? has a murphy bed which is much more comfortable than a pull out and much easier to setup and breakdown. Rooms are always clean, the basic necessities are ready including dishwasher detergent and dish soap, dish towels, plates, etc so that you can eat in and save $$$ which is important for a family. I would recommend you bring your own skillet if you are like us and want to cook pancakes or french toast, etc. Much easier and quicker than using frying pan. The waterpark admission is limited to guests of the hotel which helps with overcrowding. It can still get busy and in fact, if wanting an umbrella table at the pools, get there early. Our family of 4 and in laws always enjoy staying here and will continue to use them year after year.

Room Tip: As this is a family hotel with a water park, if you can get a top floor, you will not hear as many k...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family