“Great Family Getaway!”

Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Family Getaway!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed in a 2nd Floor room overlooking the Lost World Waterpark for a long weekend at peak time (Saturday - Monday) and the room was sufficient and clean and a good size, with a couch and small sitting area, as well as a fridge.

Let me start out by saying that you first must come to grips with the size of the property. At first arrival, it was overwhelming, and being that we checked in on a Saturday at the peak of the peak season, the place was PACKED. The check-in process was quick and easy, all questions were answered, and we were on our way.

It was our first time traveling with our 10 month old and she loved it all. We spent each day at one of the many waterparks on property and the evenings out and about in the Wisconsin Dells.

A couple of tiny "things", if I must, is the fact that if you do not get to the waterpark that you are going to be spending your time at early, there is little chance you will be able to secure a table, or even a chair for that matter. There are people literally lined up at 8:30am, waiting to rush in and put there towels down to reserve tables and chairs. While I understand that it happens everywhere, it is annoying, when you move to another waterpark at 12:30pm and can't find somewhere to even sit down, because someone has two crumpled up towels on the top of a table to "reserve" it...but hey, what are you going to do? Elevators are also few and far between, especially if you are using a stroller, and depending on how crowded the parking lots are (and if you can situate where you park), but again, not much you can do about it.

One more thing I must point out is the customer service at the hotel. It was excellent. We read some reviews that were less than stellar, but we had several great encounters. We forgot to bring dish soap to wash out our daughter's bottles, and called down to the operator to ask where we could purchase a bottle. They said they had it covered and had a bottle to our room within the hour. I also needed a bottle opener, and someone in a Wilderness shirt spotted me wandering the halls trying to figure out where a gift shop was. He was able to grab me one and and pass it off in seconds. Third, in addition to the shuttle buses that bus you from the complex to the waterparks, there are also a handful of golf carts that will pick you up randomly while you are walking and take you where you need to go. I thought that was an excellent touch, as I would rather walk then wait on the shuttle bus schedule, but I was definitely not going to pass up a quick ride. Nicely done.

Overall it was a great trip and we look forward to visiting the Wilderness Resorts again.

Room Tip: If you want a table or a beach chair, head to the waterparks early or later. The middle of the day i...
1 Thank SteveVH4

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
waterloo
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

beautful place. done right. lots of water parks. its only for guests so the lines for the slides were short. we didint have to wait more then a few minutes for any slide. for the price we were spending i was expecting a lot and we got it and more. no problems

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Orangeville, Illinois
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed at the Glacier Canyon Lodge in a double queen room. I was traveling with my two sons (ages 5 and 8). The room was perfect and in a good location for us. We were on level one which was right across from the Lost World outdoor waterpark. We were able to grab a good parking space because we were there during the week. I can imagine that it gets pretty full during the weekends. We never had any noise issues during our stay. There was a microwave and nice size refrigerator in our room. It was large enough to store a case of water, leftover pizza, and snacks for the kids. The room size was just perfect for us.

There is a lot of walking involved but we got used to it quickly. My only complaint in the waterparks is that it is impossible to find seating if you get there late morning. The indoor waterparks were not as crowded but nothing is more annoying than seeing empty chairs with just a pair of sunglasses "saving it". All we needed was one chair. Come on people, you don't need to save 4 chairs for your family if you are all in the water. The food in the waterparks is mediocre. We did order Klondike Pizza one night and had it delivered to our room. That was really good and came in about 45 minutes. The buffet was ok but service was not as so good.

There is a lot to do in all the waterparks, The kids enjoyed all the slides and raft rides that they could. Some of the lines seemed pretty long but went at a decent pace. The water was very warm and clean. There also seemed to be plenty of tubes available for the lazy river and tube rides. Our favorite park was Lake Wilderness. The landscaping at all the waterparks is beautiful. They really take care of the grounds.

The go carts are reasonably priced and the kids loved the outdoor and indoor ones. Later in the evening they enjoyed playing in the Timberland play area. There should be more seating available for parents though. It got pretty crowded.

You could basically stay at the resort and not have to leave. There was milk and other grocery items in the store. We enjoyed our stay so much and can't wait to visit again! There was a lot of things we ran out of time to do!

Room Tip: You can check in early and enjoy the waterparks before your room is ready. They will give you room...
Saint Paul Park, Minnesota
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Glacier Canyon Lodge. The room is a great size. We were there with our two 20 something adult children. Our room had a nice full sized kitchen with a breakfast bar, dinning room table. A living area with couch, 2 chairs, electric fireplace, nice size flat screen TV with a DVD player and a Murphy bed, 2 bedrooms and a bath and a half. The facility is located right next to the Lost World waterpark. The housekeeping service was (just towels and trash) were very good

Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Visited Glacier Canyon in June this year with my family. Booked the 3 bedroom family suite. We had a great time. Spent most our days at the waterparks. Really nice to just walk about your door and have just about everything you need right on the property. We only left the resort one night! Condo was well taken care of, had everything we needed to eat most our meals there, saving some vaca bucks. Made some invaluable memories with the family. Will definitely return!

Stayed June 2014
new york
Reviewed 5 August 2014

from check in to check out we had a great family vacation. We purchased fun passes and it is much cheaper to do it that way than to pay for each attraction individually. the staff here was very accommodating. the pools, indoor and out were so much fun. there is a lazy river, wave pools, bumper boats and it's all inclusive. We played mini golf, one was 3D. did a rope course, inside go cars and outside ones. there is a zip line and much more to do with the fun passes. worth the money to get a pass for each family member that is over 10.
the only negative I can think of is not the resorts fault, its noise in the hallway, like running kids, sometimes I didn't know if it was our hallway or upstairs.

the room/kitchen was wonderful, we had most meals in the room and then went right back to the activities. there is a bit of walking from one activity to another so make sure you plan your activities according to where you are going to be.
we had housekeeping come in and change/make the beds, provide new towels, coffee, paper towels and toilet paper
I would come back again.

chicago
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This place is a mixed bag. The waterparks are great and a fun activity for kids of all ages. There is plenty to keep everyone busy and happy for 2+ days. The accommodations and customer service, however, leave something significant to be desired. We were in unit 2030-32, which is a 3 bedroom unit in glacier canyon. It's well laid out and has lots of space--for us, enough for 5 adults and 6 kids. It seems fairly new so the bathrooms and kitchen are nice. But there were a number of significant problems. First, the amount of noise above us was absolutely unreal. The first time I called, at 9 pm, I was told that they will enforce quiet time at 10 pm. Great. So when the noise persisted past 10 pm (and we're talking incessant keep-you-from-sleeping noise-- like they were bouncing balls or jumping or had a very large number of people walking back and forth, back and forth. It was so bad that I went upstairs to see if we were directly underneath a flight of stairs or common area), and I called back, I expected something to be done. If they did anything about it, it was completely ineffectual. At 230 am, when we were STILL awake from the noise, the wilderness inched pretty low on my list of places to return. This isn't to mention the loud noise from the elevator, water pipes banging overnight, and the fact that we were on a basement level with a patio in the middle of the bushes, despite the fact that all other units of our category appeared to have superior outdoor areas. And then ... on our second night/morning, the power went out. No air conditioning. No lights. No white noise machine to drown out the noise. I have a 3 month old and a two-year-old. We need air conditioning -- not to mention lights -- and we were paying $800 per night to have those basic amenities. More minor things but nonetheless annoying included that there was a kitchen but no paper towels or napkins, and we never had housekeeping of any sort. No garbage changed out. No beds made. None of it.

Now. At any normal hotel where you are paying this amount of money, I would expect some sort of remuneration for the inconvenience -- or at least a heartfelt apology and some attention to fixing the issue in the future. We received exactly the opposite. At check out, I spoke with Joshua Jones, who is the supervisor at Glacier Canyon. He is, by far, one of the worst-behaved hotel managers I have interacted with. I explained to him what our issues were. After every sentence, he mockingly said, "I'm really sorry you're unhappy." Remember those games you played as a 10-year-old where you just repeated everything the other person said, ad naseum? Like that but almost more irritating. As in: "We didn't have any housekeeping." "I'm really sorry you're unhappy." "The power was out for a large chunk of time." "I'm really sorry you're unhappy." "The noise above us kept us from sleeping for almost an entire night." "I'm really sorry you're unhappy." Are you kidding me? At one point, he went so far as to say, "oh so you're not going to come back again"? Uh. Well. That's certainly not the way to encourage repeat customers. Instead of dealing with the actual problems, and providing some incentive for us to return next year, he provided us with yet ANOTHER negative experience. Management is supposed to swoop in and figure out how to solve problems like these. Yet this man had no interest in trying to figure out how to solve these problems, or how to make or keep us happy, which speaks to the fact that there is no hope of the problems being remedied any time soon.

In short: Go to the waterparks. They're fun. But stay elsewhere.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family