“Good, Not Great”

Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago, Illinois
“Good, Not Great”
Reviewed 21 July 2010

We stayed in the Glacier Canyon Lodge for two nights. We chose it for the water park access for our two year old grandson. He definitely had a great time at the Glacier Canyon water park. The room was nice, but it could have been a bit cleaner. It clearly needed more thorough dusting, but compared to the connected Wilderness Resort hotel rooms, it seemed to be the best. I would recommend it if you want easy access to the waterparks in the Wilderness Resort, especially the one connected with the Glacier Canyon Lodge.

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Minnesota
Reviewed 16 July 2010

We just returned from a 4 night stay at Glacier Canyon Lodge (Wyndham side). After staying at numerous hotels/resorts in the Dells we have finally found the perfect summer destination. The rooms at the resort are fantastic. It is so nice having a full kitchen to prepare your own meals as well as a washer and dryer to do laundry. Everything was very clean upon arrival.

My biggest concern coming to this resort was the distance between water parks. It was a non issue and kind of enjoyable. They offer a shuttle service for those who don't like the walk. They also had golf carts hauling people around.

We really liked the numerous waterparks the resort offered. One would think it would be a hassle going from park to park but that is not the case. If one is super busy then you can move on to the next one. The water temperature was perfect in both the indoor and outdoor pools. I would have liked the parks to stay open a little later then they did.

We will be going back next summer. We might even give it a try this winter

Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 14 July 2010

Was there for 4 nights with wife and two daughters (8&10). Got a 1 bedroom timeshare off ebay over the 4th of July weekend. Had an awesome time. Was nervous going in regarding the 'walk' from park to park and noise. Heard no noise whatsoever from any neighbors or kids in the hallway. It is a walk from Glacier Canyon to the waterparks in the wilderness but we found it nothing to really complain about. It's all indoors or you can walk outside, either way it was a nice way to burn off breakfeast in the mornings as well as let the kids run off some energy. Everything in our room was in perfect working order, had no complaints. We took advantage of having a kitchen by eating our meals in. We had a good time at all the waterparks. We took our own drinks, you'll see signs saying not allowed but never saw anyone enforce that. Things are pricey as one would expect at any resort but I didn't find it outrageous.

You do get sent to another office after checking in to get a parking pass and get hit up to take a timeshare tour but a couple NO's took care of that, no big deal.

Greenfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Dirty, fingernail clippings on the floor, rude loud staff, not helpful.
towels were so thin you could see through them
With all the other veues in the Dells I would never stay here again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank lobo55
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We usually stay at the Kalahari for a quick getaway every summer but chose this property for a change this time because our daughter had just been at Kalahari in June. There were things I liked better about it (quieter and prettier than Kalahari) and things I didn't (very spread out, room was smaller and no convenient lobby to just pop down to for something you might need).
Pros- The lodge has a very nice waterpark and there are others up at the hotel. We found shuttles easy to get. The drivers would stop and ask if people wanted a ride.
This place was fairly quiet.
I found the scenery very pretty in a woodsy way. It reminded me of trips to Disney's Wilderness Lodge .
Cons- We stayed in a 2 queen/sleeper lock out. The room and bathroom were very small compared to a similiar room at Kalahari. The placement of the sofa sleeper is right next to one of the queen beds which makes it difficult to get out of bed with out climbing over someone. I've never seen so many beds crammed into such a small space before.
Cleanliness- both the hotel lobby , its restrooms and the patio off our room were not as clean as I expected although the room itself was.
Housekeeping- I had to call because our room was stocked with 6 bath towels but only 2 hand towels and 2 washcloths for 4 people. On the pro side the requested items were delivered within 10 or so minutes.
Timeshare- oh please! I do not need to see the concierge for coupons which is a pretense to be scouted out as a timeshare prospect. @@ Luckily I have no trouble saying a polite firm no in a way that doesn't invite a follow up.
Little stuff- how does the bartender at the waterpark bar not have a corkscrew?
I'd recommend this hotel as a change of pace to the Kalahari especially if the price is lower at the time.

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Got a 5day/4night time share off Ebay for a 2 bedroom condo. Have to say that the condo was a great layout, clean and one of the most noiseless resorts I've ever been in. I'm unsure if the condos next to us were empty but I never heard anyone. Our party was 3 adults and one child 11 and the condo could have slept two to three more easily. Unlike other resort "condos" I've been in in the past this does have a full kitchen with cookware, normal refrigerator, electric oven/stove, dishwasher with dishes and cookware. We ate in most of the time we were there.

Location wise it wasn't difficult to leave the resort and go to downtown Wisconsin Dells or the other area attractions by car. If you without a car, nothing is within walking distance from the resort other than the Horse Stable. The Ducks Tour does leave from outside the lobby though.

The main reason that we decided to stay here was the waterparks. There are 6 of them. The one closest to us was Lost World and even though they had the best Lazy River(it has two different levels and a slide), it only has one slide and on busy days there is a long wait for mats.

Even though they boost 6 waterparks most have only one or two slides and the rest is either large children features, shallow pools or wave pools. If you combined them all into one you would have one hell of a water park but we found ourselves jumping from one to the other most of the trip. Highlights were the wave pool at the Water Dome and the Hurricane at Klondike Kavern.. Lines were long for all the slides.

The shuttle service from the resorts to the parks was OK but slow during peek times. However you can walk indoor from all the resort to the parks.

Now time for the bad stuff, We arrived at the around 4:15pm and the condo was not ready till around 5. Most of the staff, especially in the waterparks does not speak English. In fact my sister went to the First Aid station at one park and asked if they had Inhalers because she was having trouble breathing and had left her's back at the condo and the lady handed her a band aid. She asked again and demonstrated what she needed and the reply was a shrug, and pointing to the band aids. Most of the staff's communication level was hand jesters and blowing whistles. Even in posts where the staff should have English as a first langue like bar tending and clerk, they didn't. Most of the staff seemed to be high school or college age also. The worst was the Field's Steak house. Not only was the food not up to the level of the fine dining pricing but the waiter we had was pare with the service we had at the Pancake House. In fact the service was better at the Pancake house. When we complained, there was no attempt by the management to make the situation right and you got the vibe they didn't understand why weren't happy. I would suggest skipping it. Also since everything closes at 9pm it's like they roll up the sidewalks at 9:30pm and prices for everything on resort made Disney prices look damn cheap.

There is free wifi offered by AT&T. However it was the slowest hotel wifi I've experienced to date. In the morning if you were lucky you got 0.5 mb dowloads(at 7:45am - download 0.25 / upload - 0.01 on speedtest.com) and since everything was closed after 9pm you could barely get google's home page to load. My Sprint 3g was much faster. It was like a time warp to a 1997 dial up connection.

Overall the experience was good but the service was so under trained that you felt like you were on your own. There were the daily phone calls trying to sell you a time share but weren't as bad as I have experienced in the past. Still as a guest of the owner we shouldn't have been contacted at all.

2 Thank davobeats
Chicago
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We rented a 2 bedroom deluxe condo timeshare from a Wyndham owner at the Glacier Canyon Lodge. The condo was immaculate and had a well stocked kitchen. Food is very expensive so we cooked almost every night - It really helped stay within budget. The master bedroom had a king size bed with a jacuzzi tub and the second bedroom had 2 full size beds. Flat panels TV in each room - The beds were hard as a rock! That would probably be my biggest complaint. The washer/dryer was nice so we could throw in our wet clothes when we got back from the water park. I think that there is something for everyone at this resort. Some of the adults without kids liked the complimentary shuttle to the Ho-Chunk Casino. Waterparks were awesome!! Our 2 and 4 year old boys had the time of their life! A little crowded but not as bad as I would think for 4th of July weekend. I read complaints about the shuttle bus taking too long to get around the resort but we never waited more than 5 minutes. Also heard complaints about the noise but other than the kids above us running from time to time I really thought the hotel was quiet. Husband and I did attend the timeshare presentation on a rainy day - Didnt buy but made $100 bucks in an hour - Cant beat that! All is all - I think this was a successful family vacation and we cant wait to go back next year!

• Stayed July 2010