“So Much Good and then A Couple of No-Nos”
Review of Sundara Spa

Sundara Spa
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Lovely rooms (the beds!), property, spa services (please make the Peppermint Pedisage longer), turn-down service, breakfast and house body scrub.

Please continue to encourage your "quiet" philosophy. There were a couple of bridal parties that were there during our stay that had a difficult time adhering to this policy. (Ricard was wonderful at reminding them, and then subsequently treated terribly by these women) You may want to consider amending the "quiet" contract, that we must sign upon arrival, and add a clause about being dismissed from the property if rules cannot be obeyed.

Please work on your service at the pool bar. We only spent a couple of hours at the pool because the service was substandard. We had to leave our table and walk up to the bar to get a menu, we could not get a server to come to our table without waving them down (each time we wanted a cocktail and food.) This is completely unacceptable for a spa of this caliber.

And lastly, and this is a deal breaker for me. Sundara has branded themselves as a healthy retreat - having your groundskeeper spaying "Roundup" on the weeds as I am leaving only proves that your whole "health and wellness" philosophy has not been implemented at ALL levels. Pity.

1  Thank Becky S

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I've been to Sundara Spa several times, the last being 05/22/14. Every time is so enjoyable, you'd have to experience it to understand. The staff are truly conscience of what good service actually means. The atmosphere is outstanding in its relaxing qualities and the food is excellent. No matter if you spend the night or just have one treatment done, you may use the "quiet room" and pool area all day. I would highly recommend this spa to everyone!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

In February a girlfriend and myself went on a tropical vacation, she had her first ever massage and her 2nd one there too (think I have created a monster). So in May she gave me a call and wanted to take me for a birthday massage ..well I couldn't turn that down, she was in charge of setting the whole thing up and did a fab job !!

On May 20 we head to Wisconsin Dells. Our appointment were around 10:30 and place was pack (even the employees were surprised with number of clients for the day)

Registered and were shown to the dressing area. Put on our suits, robes and headed to the shower area ( they gave us a small container of scrub to apply while in the showers). Here you had you different showers, cold plunge and large hot tub ( this area is coed).

After we sat in the "quite room" where we enjoyed the sunshine (was a very long winter). Containers of different infused waters and a dried fruit, fresh fruit and nuts were available. Soon the gals retrieved us and brought us to our rooms. We both did the same which included "The Summer Polish with Massage" (I believe 80 minutes) this is a great way to get you body ready for summer, riding it of all that old winter skin. We were brought back to the "quiet area" were my girlfriend was sitting .... her comment to me "I think I feel like Fifty Shades of Grey". Well it didn't have that effect on me :( She told this to her gal too and they both laughed.
We had a bite of time in-between our next appointment were we enjoyed setting in the rocking chairs again enjoying the sun. The out-side view...small pool, hot tub in a peaceful setting. Off to our next appointment ...facials ...Now this I loved. My gal was great and I will ask for her again on my next visit which will be in a few weeks (soooo excited) with the facial she also works on your hand and arms feet and legs...heaven !!

After facial we went back to "the quiet room" ....To our delight I found a dispenser of hot tea. The name of is "Jaggery" and is was delish !!! They had recipe cards and I quickly snatched two up for us. This is made with course dark sugar cane (Jaggery), water, Holy Thai Basil, lemon and a pinch of salt. Hoping this will be there on our next visit....Too my surprise my girlfriend called me up a few days later and had ordered the product on line and I had it in my clutches to make my own ...She is just the best :)

Put our suites back on and headed out the pool area...can you say real sunshine this was just the best day to go because we could enjoy the out door part of the day !!! Found loungers to relax on and a gal came around to get our drink orders..and yes we had mixed- drinks:) Looked at the menu and ordered 3 different items off of it...All was yummy. Lounged around for a bit to let the wonderful day sink into our heads and not wanting this day to end.

My friend ended up purchasing the beauty products that they used on her face...loves it!

What a relax full day spent with a great friend and "partner in crime" :)

We have our next appointments booked for July :) We will be getting massages, facials, and pedicure...hoping the sun will be out so we can enjoy the outdoors

DC

2  Thank DISNEYCHICKS
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I recently visited Sundara for a relaxing getaway with a friend. My most recent spa visit prior to this visit to Sundara was to the spa at Four Seasons - Dallas. When I entered the spa at Sundara, the dressing room attendants barely acknowledged me, and continued their conversation loudly about their plans for that evening, and how they were annoyed with a co-worker's drinking. Unprofessional. One of the services I had was a spray tan, which was done by a spa employee (not a spraying booth). The tan was uneven, and my hands and feet ended up much darker than the rest of my skin. I have had many spray tans, and this shouldn't happen what someone is actually spraying you. My local tanning salon (which is not near as classy as Sundara should be) does a much better job with the evenness of the tan. I was not impressed with my experience. :(

2  Thank 700cammies
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We booked an overnight stay at this spa based on the high ratings it has received in several magazine articles, but it was not what we expected. The photo on the website shows a beautiful infinity pool. In reality, this pool overlooks part of the driveway, and you have a view of cars as they drive up the hill to the property. It was very crowded at the pool and my travel companion and I were not able to sit near each other, which was disappointing.
The room was comfortable, but the layout had no rhyme or reason to it. The tv was a decent size, but it was so far away from the bed that it seemed too small. The bathroom has a weird setup too, with the toilet in an alcove, but no door on it. There is a door to the main bathroom, but the far end of the bathroom does not have a wall -- there is an open area next to the whirlpool bathtub that only has a curtain over it -- like the kind you would see in a hospital room. Very strange setup. The sink is pretty, but it is so high that it is difficult for a person of average height to even wash your face.
The checkin area is small and cramped. There were many people checking in and out at the same time, with multiple people in groups all filling out their spa medical forms at the front desk, which made the checkin/checkout process take a long time. At checkin, you are asked to sign a Peace & Quiet Pledge, which basically outlines general spa etiquette. It is a little off-putting to have that be the first impression of the spa, and experienced spa-goers will think it's overkill. The problem is that the policy is not really enforced, so in some areas, there's lots of talking -- even in the purifying bath area and no one really seems to monitor the situation. It seemed like if you were there with a group, then it was okay for you to "break" the rules, but if you were a couple, you were expected to use your spa voice or whisper.
Be prepared to tote your luggage from the parking lot. There are a few spaces where you can park your car while you register, but even using the luggage carts is difficult because the spa's courtesy vehicle is parked right in front of the ramp you need to roll the cart up to get in the main door.
The property is very well maintained and is clean. The locker room/lounge is also clean and has products available to use. Something with a sunscreen in it would be a nice addition, since most people sit out at the pool for part of their stay. The staff was helpful and friendly. The beverages and snacks that were available were fresh and plentiful. The adults only atmosphere is enjoyable. The turndown service with tea and carmels in the evening is a nice perk, as is the ability to continue to use the pool and purity bath areas before and after checkin/checkout.
My expectations were high based on the publicity and rating of this spa and my prior spa experiences at other highly rated properties, but I think Sundara misses the mark in several areas.

2  Thank MTraveler50505