“A Taste Of The Cowboy Country”
Review of Klondike Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buffalo
Klondike Ranch
leicestershire
“A Taste Of The Cowboy Country”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed here, my husband and myself, for 1 week, could of stayed for many more. There were 5 other guests this week, all of us from England. We all came into Klondike from different places. We flew to Denver then onto Sheridan after a couple of days sightseeing in Denver. Richard came to collect us from Sheridan and met us with a big smile, that's how it was from then on. Due to a problem with BA and Terminal 5 surprise, surprise, I ended up arriving into Denver and then Sheridan without my bag. No worries, Richard took charge, taking us to a great shop, Shipton's Big R. You could buy anything and everything you would need to ride in. Then we stopped off for a nice late lunch. Richard's treat, Thanks Richard. I didn't think I was hungry but I was and it was really good. We then drove to the Ranch which was about an hour away from the airport. Richard talked about the history of the area we were driving through and the surrounding areas too. All of it was very interesting, so much so I am waiting for some books to arrive! Wyoming had just had its annual rainfall (10inches) in the last two weeks so everywhere was green and beautiful. So much space, the plains, the rolling hills and the Big Horn mountains in the distance. Very photographic. Reaching Klondike Ranch we were shown to our huge 'log cabin'. 3 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen with large fridge freezer and cooker and a living room with an open fire and we also had under floor heating. You would never feel in this lodge! After unpacking, it didn't take me long, we looked around. A hot tub, looking very inviting, was not far from our lodge. Over a narrow bridge you could see 2 more 'log cabins'. A semi detached on the right, just right for a group of friends who also would like privacy at night. Each had two bedrooms, one upstairs and a bed in the room downstairs with a table and chairs. A downstairs bathroom too. Heating in these were electric heaters. Mirror images of each other. I didn't go in to the lodge to the left so I can't comment on that one. Our lodge was clean and tidy, Patty provided you with milk, tbags and percolators to boil water.Meals were fabulous and plentiful. Cooked meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Thank you Patty and Mary, for the puddings. The horses were wonderful, well schooled and looked after. They knew what to do when driving and cutting cattle. Thanks to John. All the riding was up and down hills and lots of different scenery. A trip out all day to the Crazy Woman Canyon is not to be missed. Makes your sandwiches taste great. Trips out to the Rodeos were entertaining and an education. Richard, Patty and John couldn't do enough for you to make you feel so welcome. Home from Home, without the washing up! We couldn't have chosen a better place for our first introduction to Western riding and driving cattle. Also, we were there with a great set of people, so there was plenty of laughter and camaraderie. Every night was hot tub night, even when it was rather cool as we accidentally turned the temperature right down!! Well, I got in! Must mention The Occidential Hotel in Buffalo its a must see and if possible make sure you look in the hotel and the restaurant. Perhaps even spend the night, I wish I had. All in all a 10 out of 10 place to stay. Thanks to everyone at Klondike, including the children and Manon, the French Student helping out at the Ranch.

Room Tip: Talk to Patty and Richard.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leicestershireduo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband, 15yr old daughter and I spent the most amazing 10 days at Klondike Ranch under the wonderful care of the Tass family and their staff. There aren't many holidays you can share with teenagers but this was definitely or best one so far.
My husband I were quite novice riders compared to or daughter but everyone felt very safe and managed all the rides. We wanted an experience which was authentic and which gave us a true insight into the day to day running of a ranch. We also wanted it to be a relaxed and with no fixed schedules or programs and at Klondike we got everything we'd wished for and more.
The guest numbers were small which made it feel like you were very much part of the ranch, The Wranglers Victoria, Coulter & his dad Manley were fantastic offering lots of help if needed but mainly just offering lots of interesting stories and many laughs. One of the best experiences we had as our camping trip up to the summer pasture on the Big Horn mts. The ride up and down was just amazing and the facilities & food up there was fantastic, the only thing we didn't get right was to take enough big cosy jackets for night time as it got really cold due to us being there quite late in the season.The other thing I feel I must mention is about the food and attention we got down at the ranch from Patty. She is the most generous hard working host I think I've ever met. Nothing is to much trouble for her and the meals which we all ate together in the family home were simply amazing. Be prepared to put on weight while there no matter how much riding you do! Also she is the most wonderful historian and loves nothing more that sharing all her knowledge of the surrounding area and local history.
Or only regret is that we wish we had spent much longer at the ranch as there was just so much to see and visit in Buffalo and the surrounding area, we hope that some day we'll get a chance to go return again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Joyce M
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Our family spent 2 weeks at the Klondike Ranch! Thank you for taking us part of a real working cattle ranch! No strict schedules, great food, great people! Marvelous camping up in the BigHorns. We stayed at the Elkhorncabin, wonderfull! Thanks Patty and Richard, and the staff!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank saltapicchio2013
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Klondike Ranch for a week in July. It was amazing. Richard and Patty welcomed us and immediately made us feel at home. They are honest, hard working people. The kind of people the world needs more of. Unfortunately, Patty cooked all our meals for us. I say that because neither my wife nor I can cook as well as part can, and we now know what we've been missing! The riding... absolutely amazing. There is no nose to tail riding at the Klondike. And you get to actually help herd the cattle. We were able to take part in a cattle drive. It lasted a couple days and took us up and over the Big Horn Mountains, where we even got to spend the night! It was awe inspiring. And when we got back to the ranch, the hot tub was exactly what we needed. Yes, it was perfectly clean. If we could, my wife and I would go back every year. I highly recommend the Klondike Ranch. We have never had a better vacation surrounded by such great people. Thank you Richard and Patty.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank elcurtis8270
Barnard, Missouri
Reviewed 24 August 2012

My husband and I stayed with the Tass family for a week in August 2012. The Tass family allowed us into their lives to see how their ranch operates and to enjoy beautiful scenery from their horses. If you want a guest ranch where you get to be part of the family and without strict schedules, choose this one! There is plenty of delicious food. We had the opportunity to tent camp in the Bighorn Mountains and it was the highlight of our trip! All of the rides take you into beautiful and varied scenery. We greatly enjoyed our stay in an authentic cabin built in the 1920s. The hot tub and Patty's history tour are other great things from our trip. We hope to be able to visit again someday. I would love to tell more about our experience to anyone that is interested.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gapulley
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I have had a dream of being a cowgirl and my week at Klondike Ranch made that a reality.
Patty, Richard, and their family are a warm, welcoming group of people who not only make you feel like part of the family, but are there to share their knowledge of local history, the workings of a cattle ranch, and their dining room table for amazing home cooked meals.
The horse I was pared with for the week, Stormy, was a great match as she was gentle and responded well to my attempts at proper commands. Throughout the week, we had the opportunity to ride around the ranch as well as in the mountains with the cattle. I have not seen anything more beautiful than the views around Klondike ranch and loved ever minute of my week there. The hardest part of my week was leaving to come back to reality.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank AED01
Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2012

My girlfriend and I spent a week on this Ranch in June 2012 and I can honestly say it was the best holiday of our lives. My partner has ridden regularly and I had only had a couple of hours on a horse yet with over 15 horses to choose from the riding was never a problem. We could do as much or little riding as we liked and with the big horn mountains in the background the scenary was truly stunning. I wanted to experience what a real ranch was like and this fitted the bill superbly. The wrangler girls were just great and the family could not have been more welcoming. Just to top it off the three cooked meals we had a day was probably the best food I have ever had. I would love to go back one day!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple