“YOU MUST TRY THIS PLACE!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buffalo
Paradise Guest Ranch
Holland, Ohio, United States
“YOU MUST TRY THIS PLACE!!”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This truly is paradise. Whether your hanging out with the horses, or cocktails by the pool, this place is Heaven! I was lucky enough to find Paradise, and spent my week enjoying the BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE ANYWHERE!! The staff are the magic that makes the ranch a true Paradise. The scenery is amazing, they call it "God's country" for a reason. Horseback rides are the best I've ever been on, and I've been riding since I was a toddler! Even if you don't really ride, you will enjoy a relaxing atmosphere with a friendly face at every turn. The food was like eating in a 5 star restaurant in NYC. Even the cabins are spacious & comfy. Definitely a trip to put on the "MUST DO" list. I can't wait until next yr.! I had the time of my life & I can't thank Leah, Clay, and the entire staff enough!! You will feel like a million bucks every day you are there!!

Room Tip: All the cabins are great. If you have a family, I suggest the Virginian Cabin, it has a washer &...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank EricaBarkley44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This is an amazing place, nestled in a gorgeous valley outside of Buffalo...Paradise, indeed.

The owners, Clay and Leah, are just the nicest people, they run this place with ease and experience.

The number of repeat guests when I was here was unheard of. One couple had been staying every year for 30 years! This is the kind of place that does that to you.

There were guests from Sweden, France, England and all over America.

The normal stay is for one week and by the time it's up, new friendships have been cemented and people agree to come at the same time next year to catch up again.

I only stayed two nights, catching the the last night of a week-long stay and the first of the next. An interesting thing to see, strangers who had become fast friends and those who would be by the end of their week.

My 'cabin', Wagon Wheel, was a complete two story family home with full kitchen, laundry, two bedrooms sleeping four, living room with fireplace, dining room and outdoor decks. There was one full bathroom and a guest restroom.

However, there is no TV, my cell had no service and the WIFI was hit and miss. So come here ready to unplug and get out in nature.

Everything is included in the your stay: three excellent communal meals a day, horse riding, children's activities and everything you could want to do on a ranch holiday. The wranglers are all excellent with the guests, patient and educating in an easy way.

It was a brilliant experience and I would come again and spend the whole week next time.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Hellingly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Paradise Guest Ranch certainly deserves its name. The location is fantastic. Located in its own valley in the heart of the Bighorn National Forest, overlooking Fan Rock with the horses grazing on the open hills around you. Clay and Leah are excellent hosts and it all feels like one big family with the Wranglers and staff eating with all the guests at mealtimes. The waitstaff are brilliant and the food hits the spot. Everything moves at the pace you want it to - if you want to fish or hike (or just potter about) instead of ride then all is provided for. We chose to ride. We were a family of mixed ability in the saddle and certainly no experience of western riding but it couldn't have been easier. If we wanted lessons they were available but we decided to learn "hands on" and just jumped up and set off. The horses were fantastic and pitched absolutely right for our respective abilities (we filled out a form before we arrived outlining our experience). The Wranglers were even happy to change horses if there was a problem - my husband actually "upgraded" as his ability and confidence increased. Animal welfare is also a fundamental priority at the Ranch and we actually had our horses changed when one had thrown a shoe and bruised its foot and again when my horse also had a sore foot. All the horses were very well looked after, bright eyed and friendly and we were able to bond with them through un-tacking and post ride grooming sessions! We were very happy with our saddles but some others did change them if they were not quite right and the Wranglers were very happy to oblige. Jace and his team were very polite and accommodating. We had a daily choice of rides covering all the paces; walk, trot or lope (canter) and each ride has a maximum of 8 and is led by a very experience wrangler (sometimes with their dog tagging along). We did a ride one day with just 2 of us as our daughter (16) decided to go with another group at a faster pace. My son (12) needs a bit of extra support and everyone was so helpful and made sure he was ok in all the activities he took part in. They position the kids behind the Wrangler so they can keep an eye on them and give them hints as tips as they go along if they have a problem. Rides are timed so there is plenty of time after breakfast or after lunch to relax before getting back in the saddle. They also offer two all day rides during the week. We went on the Friday all day ride and spent a fantastic day roaming the woodlands and open hills of the Bighorn Mountains. We were able to make up our own packed lunches from a great selection so there were no complaints about what was in the sandwiches when we stopped for lunch! On the rides we saw antelope/deer, golden eagles, osprey, a snake (eating a mouse!) and were lucky enough to spot a moose (and a "moose-cow" but that is another story!).

The evening activities were well pitched for the - during our week - mainly family guests and we had sing-alongs, swing dancing, talent night and square dancing plus an evening picnic and cook out around the BBQ. The weather did affect some of the activities which would normally have involved access on horse-back (the teen camp out and the whole ranch cook out in the hills) as storms were forecast but alternatives were seamlessly arranged and everyone was happy. There was a swimming pool, hot tub, small basketball court, games room (pool/table tennis and the only TV on the Ranch - which had a wide selection of DVD's) and there were many games of "Ultimate Frisbee" and volleyball on the lawn. The saloon was also available and the hub for the evening activities. There is wifi but it is only available at two hot spots in the Ranch and is turned off during meal times (yipee!). There is no phone signal (although we did get it at the top of a hill on one of the rides!).

Dress code is casual - jeans, shirts and cowboy boots but you can dress up for the swing/square dance if you want (maybe some sparkles on the cowboy shirt for the ladies!). We chose to embrace the western dress code for riding but there were a few who were in the "english" riding attire of jodhpurs, half chaps and hard hat and may had brought a hard riding hat for their children to wear. You need to take this with you as they will not supply them. Other highlights (in the arena) included poles and barrels; team penning (cutting and hearding 3 young steers from one end of the arena to a pen at the other - avoid "The Golden Calf" he's feisty!) and the Kids Rodeo (with bonus silly games for the adults!).

As well as all of the above, the most precious things we will take away from our fantastic stay at Paradise Ranch are the memories and the fabulous friends we have made. We feel we have made friends for life with our shared experiences and the sense of being "one big family" for one of the best week's of our lives. I can see why so many guests have returned year after year to experience Paradise Ranch, and we hope to add our name to that list too.

Room Tip: The log cabins are a mix of smaller single storey 1/2 bed rooms or the larger two-storey 2 bedrooms...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank 222DJA
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 24 August 2013

My first time visiting Paradise Ranch was in 2006, and seven years later, I'm glad to say the rides, food, and activities are still top-notch.

I'll start with the cabin. I was travelling with my family (4 including me) and the cabin left (nearly) nothing to be desired. The beds were very comfortable, the couches and deck relaxing, bathrooms always clean, and laundry machine + dryer very convenient. The only complaint I have here is the fact that at 5' 11", the shower head was a full 3 inches too short, but I noticed other bathrooms did not have this problem.

Next comes the rides. If you are a beginner/intermediate rider, the rides will exceed your expectations in length and speed. However, if you are more of an advanced rider (like myself and my family members), it might be necessary to remind (some) of the wranglers that you desire more loping, but overall the riding experience was great. My horse was very responsive, and he looked to be in great health. The terrain in and around the ranch is exceptional for diverse and interesting rides.

The food at Paradise is superb. Not only does it taste good, but it is often very healthy, it always arrives on time, and it never fails to satisfy you.

At 16 years old, I had a very good experience at the Ranch, I found a couple of friends my age and it was by far the best week of my summer, and I would definitely recommend it to all ages.

Room Tip: Cabins with more space are consistently more fun to be in.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank winwawro
Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Many of our friends had been to Paradise over the years. They always came back raving about how wonderful it was and that we should try it. This year we did and it was everything they said it would be and more. We have 3 boys (6,10, 12 ) and they are begging to go back. The ranch is set in Big Horn Mtns. providing just beautiful scenery and allowing for plenty for everyone to do such as riding, hiking, fishing and relaxing. The staff was wonderful and very attentive and make the experience very personal. This is a must do vacation whether you are frequent horse back rider or have never ridden it will be a trip of a lifetime.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank kimberly l
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We just visited Paradise Guest Ranch for the seventh time! The experience that Leah and Clay offer is timeless and this year they raised the bar. The wranglers were top notch, the horses were well matched to the riders, the rides were incredible with the Big Horn Mountains as the backdrop one could do any variation of a walking ride to a loping ride, so we did. The fishing, well, my husband's photo is on their webpage and now on Facebook with a gorgeous rainbow trout! My fishing guide demonstrated tremendous patience as he showed me again and again how to perform a roll cast. I may not be able to attain that perfect roll cast, but it's a heck of a lot better than it was! The food this year was the best ever! My favorite entree was a chicken breast with a pesto salsa. The dining and housekeeping staff were johnny on the spot all week long! The seventh visit turned out to be our lucky number! We will be back for at least seven more!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 June 2013

First let me say like the other reviewers...Paradise Ranch is stunning - absolutely beautiful. Our young children had a absolute blast. The pool is fun, the hiking great, the outdoor games the kids play so much fun. The last night dancing was a hoot and the staff really did get involved. We met quite a few people who had been going there for 20 years plus. The owners are wonderful - nice nice people - work hard and are incredibly friendly.

Accommodations The room was nice (and BIG - 2 bedrooms with kitchen) had washer and dryer - think 1990's with full kitchen - nothing updated - old carpet...but it's a dude ranch so really quite comfortable. I'm ok with rustic so it was what I was expecting.

Riding program: If you're an experienced rider this solely head to tail riding operation can be tedious. We went on a slow week and were very fortunate to go out with a wonderful wrangler who allowed a bit of freedom...but this was not the norm. With regards to the herd - I also felt a few horses could use a little meat on their bones (my horse was a bit thin and clearly at the bottom of the food chain with all the cuts and abrasions) and one too many saddle sores/cuts for my liking. The ranch leases a lot of their horses for the season - which may or may not be the reason for their shabby appearance. Again if you don't work around horses you probably wouldn't notice the details of the horse care nor care about the constant head to tail rides - My husband who doesn't ride - had a wonderful time and enjoyed himself quite a bit...so again it's your expectations and experience. I visited a well known ranch in MT after Paradise (they highly discourage head to tail riding) and not one horse of the 75 horse herd - looked underweight - they all had shiny coats and great muscle tone.

Staff - I would say 80% of the staff were working their butt's off. Truly hard working lovely people. Well the other 20% - not so much. I also felt - as much as I liked a lot of the staff I felt they were really mentally done with being there - one more guest complaint and someone might go postal (we've all been there so it's just an observation). I don't want to say too much as really the staff (in particular house keeping and few of the wranglers) went out of their way to be incredibly helpful - they truly deserve a big raise. It was the staff member in the children's program who sat on her tush all day while the other awesome girl worked her tail off...well I guess that's really how the world works sometimes.

One last thing to say..the guests who had been going there for 20 years definitely had a step up on everyone else. They had the horse of their choice, wrangler of choice (often allowed to swap horses), ride of choice and allowed their choosing of who could ride with them. I often saw the returning family on private rides. I guess rightly so if you've been going there that long - just a note if you happen to be there during a week of long time return guests.

So definitely a good choice for novice riders looking for a great kids program and beautiful scenery. Not so great for a long time rider who is experienced with horses. I would look for a smaller ranch, smaller herd that maybe does their own breeding.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family