“What a wonderful expeirence” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paradise Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buffalo
Paradise Guest Ranch
Poulton-Le-Fylde, Lancashire, England
“What a wonderful expeirence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2006

I travelled from the UK to Paradise with a little apprehension. Although an experienced English rider, I was taking this trip alone and my journey involved flights from Manchester to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Minneapolis then Minneapolis to Billings in Montana. Bob from the ranch picked me up at my hotel in Billings and was happy to wait half an hour whilst my luggage ( which had done missing the day before) arrived from the airport.
He also stopped en route to the ranch so we could see the site of Custers Last Stand.
The ranch and surrounding countryside are spectacular. I had my own log cabin with a log fire, but also thermostat controlled heating for the chilly nights. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff at Paradise and everyone was made to feel very welcome.
I was allocated a horse who I thought was going to be too small for me as I have a 16hh horse back at home. But they had listened and matched my experience perfectly - he was a very fast ride but sensible. We had some super lopes and gallops , and the staff tried hard to make sure you had a different ride every day at the speed you wanted.
The weather was perfect - hot sunny days, no rain, and cold frosty mornings. You could also hike , fish or laze by the pool. Don't miss the horses being moved each morning from the pasture down to the barn - an incredible sight to see them running as a herd.
I would have no worries about doing this type of holiday alone in the future- the riding , dining and evening entertainment ensured that everyone mixed and I never felt alone. A special thanks to Cheryl, Rohan and Oliver who looked after me and were great company.

• Liked — The riding programme
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you take a variety of clothing as temperatures are hot in the day but very cold at night and early morning
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank TrishaPorter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lafayette, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2006

The ranch is in the wildflower-covered mountain meadows in the Bighorn National Forest near Buffalo. In those spectacularly beautiful mountains my girls (ages 7 and 4) and I found some new passions. The girls especially loved the freedom of the ranch, the horses, swimming, trout fishing, and the great children’s program–-games, crafts, nature hikes, feeding the calves and pony rides. I loved the weather, the scenery, my great big sweet horse, and the fact that I was truly on vacation–no planning, driving, cooking, cleaning, or dish washing! The food is really good, the cabins are very comfortable and clean, the staff is extremely attentive. We are going back next year. Neither my girls nor I are avid horse women, but the ranch has a riding program which is suitable for everyone who wants to try riding. We all loved it!

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank KateLafayette_LA
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2004

First and foremost, let me say that Paradise Ranch is beautiful. If you've never been to WY before, you'll love it. And there is so much to do at the ranch -- a great fishing and hiking program. There's entertainment every night. We saw lots of moose!

I did, however, have some trouble with the riding program. I'm not a very confident horseback rider, and had some trouble with the horse that had been assigned to me. When I asked if I could switch horses, the head of the riding program yelled at me (in front of my whole family and other guests!) -- and said I should work harder to correct the bad behavior that my horse was exhibiting so that future guests wouldn't have to deal with what I was dealing with. He said he would be willing to offer me some tips on how to train my horse better. Well, I never did get those tips -- and with only 5 days at the ranch, I seriously doubt I would have been able to train that horse to behave better, anyway.

Also -- just so you know -- there is NO phone here -- cell phones don't work and there is no pay phone. There's a radio phone that guests aren't allowed to use unless it's a true emergency. That can be relaxing, of course -- but it's also stressful if you get there and suddenly realize that there's no way to, say, check in with the pet sitter back home to make sure everthing's ok.

In short, I just didn't feel all that welcome at this ranch. Seems like a small request on my part (there were dozens of horses that weren't being ridden that week, so switching didn't seem like a big deal) shouldn't have been met with a temper tantrum on the part of the head wrangler. I wound up riding a lot less than I had planned, just because I was uncomfortable with my horse. It put a real damper on my vacation and to be honest, I never did understand why they just didn't accomodate me.

• Stayed October 2004
17 Thank weedwackers
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2004

We are returning for our 4th visit. We got married there last year in their new log chapel. The horseback riding, food, entertainment, fishing, and other activities are to die for. Relaxation and escape are the normal order of the day. I can't say enough nice things. You will want to return as we do.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fort Wayne, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2003

Our Family has been to Paradise Guest Ranch the last two years. They have been the best family vacations we have ever taken. The employees are willing to do whatever it takes to make your vacation fun for the entire family. It is the most relaxing week of our year, but we seem to do more in the day then seems possible. We plan on going back every year. You will not go wrong if you choose this as a family vacation, even if you do not ride horses. No one in our family rode horses until we got to the ranch. We do what we want to do such as fishing, riding, reading, hiking, golfing or napping. Their is always something fun to do.

14 Thank mgdevine