We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buffalo
The Historic Occidental Hotel & Saloon and The Virginian Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Buffalo
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“A western hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012 via mobile

If you are into westerns at all stay here. It was such a fun place to stay!! The atmosphere is amazing and the staff was very pleasant. The collection of antiques is out of this world.

• Stayed June 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Wayne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

If you are in Wyoming because you want to experience its geography and history, this is the place to stay. We so enjoyed the experience - and because we were there on a night the Virginian was closed - we re-routed ourselves back through Buffalo two nights later just to stay there again and have dinner at the Virginian. It's a charming, funky place and everywhere you turn - from the 1922 newspapers to the old time radios, long hallways full of period pieces, floor lamps, chandeliers, wall lamps, photos, piano - you feel like you just walked into a cowboy movie. The lobby, the saloon, the Virginian, and even the Busy Bee cafe next door all have the feel of a lovingly restored museum. Sometimes, after many years of travelling in the US and overseas, we just need a soundproof, immaculate, sterile room with a conventional bed, fiberglass bath unit and dark curtains to shut out the light, so we very much appreciate the Hampton Inns and Super 8's of the world. But all the quirky features of the Occidental simply became part of our Wyoming experience rather than inconveniences - even other guests's voices drifting up the hallway. It transported us to a time when there weren't any generic chain hotels. Great dining experience in the Virginian and tasty breakfast at the Busy Bee. It was warm enough to sit in the chairs on the sidewalk out front - sipping fresh coffee from the little common kitchen early in the a.m., and cocktails (in plastic cups) in the late afternoon. We look forward to a return trip and will plan enough time to relax in the lobby, the saloon, and the Virginian to soak up the ambiance.

Room Tip: They're all charming
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I was excited about staying at this hotel, but in the end, I wish I would have booked a more standard type of hotel and only popped in for a meal or a drink. My partner checked in while I waited in the car. When he gave me the room number, I went into the hotel but was totally lost. The woman at the front desk totally ignored me. The place was not busy...I was the only one in the lobby at the time. As I started to ask where my room was, she moved into a back area of the office, like she was trying to avoid me...it felt weird. I entered a long hallway, opening random doors until I found my suite. The place is like a museum, filled with lots and lots of antiques, which is very interesting...the downside is that it never felt comfy. I actually needed to be careful I did not trip on antiques in the cluttered hallway to the room. Our suite was interesting, an old fashioned western kitchen from the mid century and a bedroom. The suite had it's charms, but it also had dark dirty pleated shades that could not be raised in the bedroom. I hated the dark space. I was also very disappointed by the conditions of the grounds. I was traveling with my dog, and my reservation was for the Cowboy Corral Suite, a room with an outdoor area for people traveling with pets. The outdoor area was full of junk...discarded wood, plastic trash cans, a piece of a bed frame and lots of other pieces of things...it truly looked like the beginnings of a junk yard. Considering this hotel charges at least twice the price of any other place in town, I really felt gypped. The old TV did not work...two different people showed up to get it fixed. The bartender was very nice, but there were times when I wanted a drink and she was socializing in the corner with her coworkers or friends. Big waves of my hands were necessary to get her attention. The Virginian was pretty good. I was doubled charged for an appetizer, but it was quickly corrected once I pointed it out. The Busy Bee served a good breakfast. Many of the people who work at the hotel are very nice, but it takes more than that to make a good hotel. I would suggest popping into the lobby and have a look around, then grab a drink or bite to eat in The Virginian, The Busy Bee or The Saloon, but unfortunately, I cannot recommend spending extra money to stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Travel147
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

This hotel is a treasure. It's as rich in history as it is in historic finishes. We stayed in the Owen Wister Suite and were amazed at all of the details -- the claw foot tub, the decorative lamp shades, the writing hutch, the open terrace. The Virginian Restaurant, connected directly to the hotel, was just as rich with nostalgia (one of the tables is actually in the old bank vault!) and offered quality cuisine, a divine selection of wine and friendly service. The Busy Bee cafe next door was the perfect place for a hearty breakfast, with the same memorable finishes that the Occidental & Virginian offered. Everywhere we went, we felt the history of what & who had come before us. Kudos to a town that's taken such interest in it's past and found a way to share it with weary travelers.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Deadwood, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Our second visit to the Occidental.....we love the place. If you are looking for a wonderful historic experience, this is it. The bar is so neat plus the food is amazing in the Virginian Restaurant. It was my Birthday treat! We had our dog and he was treated like royalty. If you are tracelling anywhere near Buffalo, Wyoming, don't miss this place. It's just too wonderful for words.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

My mother, my three dachshunds and I stayed here on a cross country trip from Houston TX to Cagary AB. This hotel was certainly the highlight of our journey. Dawn greeted us - puppies included - with open arms! We had some red wine in the lobby as she regaled us of the labour of love that was restoring this fabulous building. We had the hotel almost to ourselves so had a fantastic time exploring the rooms - it is almost like a working museum.
Practically speaking, the Internet was reliable and our rooms were clean and comfortable. Mom stayed in the Hoover Suite (which is beautifully appointed). I was across the hall in the Cowboy Corral - this suite is not nearly as attractive as the rooms, but it was very comfortable with direct access to a side yard, which was perfect for the dogs and I. I also appreciated having the kitchen for getting their breakfasts together and keeping them clean.
There are not a lot of dinner options in the town, but there was a grocery store about 4 blocks away, so we picked up some basics and made ourselves a picnic in the lobby. Breakfast at the Busy Bee cafe was just what we needed the next morning to get us moving on the next leg of our journey.
The Occidental is a must for anyone who loves history, antiques, the Old West and quirk!

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor are very quiet and great if you have pets.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ms_OffTheBeatenPath
Casper, Wyoming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

My husband and I were looking for pet friendly overnight lodging on our way back from Montana. On a whim we got on the website for the Occidental and were pleasantly surprised by the improvement in the appearance of the hotel. We had not visited there in several years and certainly not since the new management bought around 7 years ago. We stayed in the Cowboy Corral Suite which is room 56. It is pet friendly and on the ground floor with a separate entrance which was great for taking our 80 pound dog in and out without walking her through the lobby. There was a great full kitchen that had really old (charmingly so) appliances that all worked and a microwave and modern coffee maker. The hotel has really been cleaned up and staged to reproduce the look it had during it's heyday. The lobby in particular is just beautiful. All in all comfortable and affordable lodging that is fun and interesting due to it's history. Beats a generic room at a chain hotel hands down!

Room Tip: If having a pet in the room is not a concern I would recommend a room in the back of the hotel upsta...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple