We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buffalo
The Historic Occidental Hotel & Saloon and The Virginian Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This place is fabulous. It is a gorgeous hotel but with all the modern comforts you could possibly want. Dawn and her manager could not have been more kind and helpful – to say that they went out of their way would be a massive understatement. They looked after us as if we were family. The rooms are beautiful, quiet, immaculately clean and sumptuous. In addition to the suite - with three bedrooms, a hall and a lovely bathroom - we also had use of a shared kitchen with a huge range of teas/coffee. The air conditioning was top quality, probably the best I experienced in the US. The decoration is a sensation but at the same time everything works like a dream. The food is also excellent in the restaurant. I could not recommend this hotel more highly. We all absolutely loved it.

Room Tip: Stay in the Bordello suite which Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and many others visited. It is w...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I love old hotels. I am willing to compromise quite a bit for history and atmosphere. Unfortunately, I didn't love this one. Not at all.

In a nutshell, the Occidental Hotel can't make up its mind between being a hotel and being a museum. Although there were definite physical problems with the facilities (which I'll get to in a minute), the biggest complaint I had was the lack of security and privacy.

The Occidental encourages anyone to come in and wander through the halls where the guest rooms are. Although a sign at the foot of the stairs offers guidelines to limit the curious to empty rooms and daylight hours, those guidelines are ignored, and no attempt is made to enforce them. The result is a steady stream of the curious and noisy trying to get into your room at all hours of the day and night. (It is somewhat disconcerting to be in the shower and have someone try to open the door. It made me think of Psycho.)

This was not a one-time occurrence--it happened all three nights we stayed. Twice I had to go out into the hall, in my nightgown, to ask people who had strayed up from the bar to please be quiet--and this was around midnight both times.

Physically, the hotel has been renovated, but not maintained. I expect a certain amount of "compromise" in an old motel, and I didn't mind, at least not too much, that the floors creaked and the soundproofing was non-existent. (The air-conditioning works, though, and works well. So does the plumbing. And the bathroom was charming.) But the clumps of cobwebs handing from the ceiling molding, the peeling wallpaper, even if it was antique, the way the floor turned my white gym socks black, and the bed that almost broke when my husband sat on it (He weighs 185; it's not as if he's huge) were a bit too much.

The desk staff was friendly and willing to help, but the bartender was surly and rude when we went down to get ice for our room. Later, we overheard a manager firing an employee in public, in the lobby. Not a very nice thing to experience.

The property certainly has potential. The historic displays and the library are fascinating. But please, separate the museum from the guest rooms and give your guests some privacy and a sense of security!

1  Thank bldrdiningdiva
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Lovely old renovated hotel from Buffalo Bill days. Upgraded to the Rose room- great library and amenities outside our room, excellent bar, worth the drive to get there. The owner is a charmer. Comfortable bed.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

The owner Dawn and her staff made us feel right at home. What a great place to stay, I'd have to state it's one of the best places I've ever stayed but I'm fascinated with it's history. Dawn has done an excellent job of restoring this property. Browsing through the hotel is like a museum, so much to see and the saloon was interesting. I heard their restaurant was top notch but the day we were there it was closed. I highly recommend staying a being a part of America's Wild West.

Room Tip: Make sure you plan your visit when their main restaurant is open.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

What a place...what history. We loved it. The hotel, staff was great and helpful. The saloon....nice to sit back and relax. The Virginian...we sat at table #1...the first window table....was fantastic, and the food was excellent!! The staff at the restaurant was exceptional....If you stay in Buffalo...it's well worth the time to see.

1  Thank raynor911
Reviewed 23 August 2013

When we were at the Wonder Bar in Casper, they told us we had to make this place one of the stops on our trip...so we did. Since we had already eaten we just had the beer. Even though it wasn't a brewery, the beer was great and the history and cultural aspects of the saloon and hotel were really interesting. On our way back, we stopped again but this time for lunch. Again, the beer was great and we were looking forward to the burrito that we had seen on our previous trip. We got it to share and were both disappointed with it. Not so good. Maybe it was because there were quite a few people in the place; not sure.

But this trip we took the time to walk around a bit more to explore. If you don't stay at the hotel, they let you look at rooms which I highly recommend. There were many people doing the same thing we were....exploring and enjoying the history of the place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank agape1026
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Like an old West home that was opened for treasured friends--that's the ambiance. ($165 for our room)You choose your room, from flowery fem. to cowboy; you could even choose a former brothel room! We were there for the old-time Jam Session, Thurs nights. OMG! It was fun, and the bison burger was delicious from the bar/Busy Bee menu! Get a table or barstool by 6:00, because it fills up early on Thurs night. Buffalo is a great place to stroll around and soak up local color.

• Stayed: August 2013