“Quiet Hotel No Ammenities”

Mountain View Historic Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Centennial
Chicago, Illinois
“Quiet Hotel No Ammenities”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

If you don't care about fancy hotel ammenities and you are looking for some place QUIET, then this is the place for you!! There are only a few rooms, so on our visit, we did not have to suffer with other guests' inconsiderate slamming of bedroom doors that one often experiences in hotels. But with that said, there is a church next door whose Ringing of Bells went off at 1:30 a.m.!!!! Apparently, something went wrong in their bell ringing schedule. So for 10 minutes, I had to listen to their bells play old christian hymns--not that I don't like the old hymns, but not at 1:30 in the morning!! And the thing was, I had no idea it was going to stop, so I was very upset about this. Thanks though to Eva (the owner) who--when I complained to her the next morning--immediately called the church pastor.

Now about our room...we stayed in the Wildflower Suite. The bathroom was CLEAN, albeit small and no place really to put our stuff unless we wanted to use the etegere and risk things falling through the bars. In general, the entire place was clean. By the way, in addition to the 3 queen beds, there is a modular couch that could easily sleep 2 more people if you were so inclinded to use the couch that way. The bedroom has a chest of drawers for storage; the smaller bedroom has a very small closet for storage.

In addition, the owner, Eva, is a great lady--I really enjoyed my brief chats with her. She cares about her hotel and her guests and it shows.

For food, one must cross the street to eat at The Friendly Cafe because Eva no longer has food service at her hotel.

Finally, this is not a beautiful hotel, it is an old hotel. Our room was not at all pretty, nothing to please the eyes. The downstairs, however, is very quant, and perhaps the other rooms are as well.

My sister, with whom I was traveling, said that she would return to this hotel because she liked the quiet so much. If I came back to the area, I would stay at The Old Corral because it is new (just 20 years old) and I like new better than old.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Carole L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Glendale, California
Reviewed 30 July 2012

This little hotel dates back to the beginning of the last century wehn Centennial was going to be a destination resort. It never was that, but it is a cute little town at the foot of the Snowy Range. Mountain View serves summer travelors and winter skiers. The rooms are charming, and the owner is as font of hospitality and local knowledge. By far the best place to stay in Centennial

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I just love this hotel. So full of history and charm. I am in love with their new smoke pit BBQ! This has got to be the best BBQ I have had in a long time. Jeff and Georgia and their family are fantastic! You could not be more genuinely friendly and down to earth people. If you can get the chance you also have to do the paranormal event they have there as well. Cowboy State Paranormal Investigations did an excellent job in providing a fun and unique event!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Golden, CO
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at this quaint historic hotel. We have stayed many times before. Please disregard all negative comments written before December of 2010. The hotel changed hands in December and is presently family-owned-and-operated. This smallish hotel has the "feel" of a B&B.

We stayed in the Hahns Peak room on the lower level, which is a suite. We had a living room with TV, VCR, refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, etc. The bathroom is oversized but has a shower only. We had double beds and a balcony to let our dog out. It is pet friendly. It is listed on the National Historic Registry. The family is working hard to restore the hotel back to its original 1907 time period.

They started up their barbecue dinners the night we were there. The food was delicious. We had a choice of beef brisket, pulled pork or chicken, all cooked in a BBQ pit, along with many different side dishes from which to choose (all homemade). Each family member had his/her own specialty side dish. They also serve breakfast and lunch. They have many fabulous homemade pastries. They have an honor system for pop and water.

We would highly recommend this place! The family goes out of its way to make sure your stay is pleasurable.

Room Tip: Choose the Hahns Peak room for your family!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 55Merry
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 31 July 2010

From the moment you pull up to this historic hotel in the middle of no where Wyoming (not really 30 minutes from Laramie) you feel like you are transported back in time. The crickety sounds from the wooden deck to the lofty jingle of the bell on the door are so refreshingly old world, but when we opened the door to be greeted by the energy of 3 good souls, well that's what really makes The Mountain View special. Ev, the owner, and her two trusty helpers, Lane and Cambria had just finised serving over 250 customers between breakfast and lunch (in a town with only 100 people!) and yet they still had time to greet us warmly and engage us in wonderfuly therapeutic conversation.
The accomadations were modestly warm - quite wonderful for a 100 year old building, but if you ever come to the Mountain View in Centennial you might come for the views and ambiance, you might come for the food (it's great) but the real reason to come to The Mountain View is to be in the middle of no where - and just rejuvenate your soul with fantastic massage therapy from Lane or Cambria and deeply enriching interactions with a staff who really cares.
Ev you have created a special place - I'm sure I will be back :)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve_Rix
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 July 2010

If you're traveling on I-80, west of Laramie, I recommend a detour on Hwy 130 - the Snowy Mountain Scenic Drive with a stop by Lake Marie - it's just beautiful. Afterwards, you may want to stop into Centennial and try out the Mountain View Historic Hotel & Cafe. We stayed in the Wildflower Suite which takes up half of the second floor, though I assume it was three separate units when the hotel opened over 100 years ago.

The suite has one true bedroom with a door, containing two comfortable queen beds. There is also a living room with tv, a dining room with microwave and mini-fridge, and bathroom with a tub/shower. Off the dining room, separated by a curtain, is a small room (alcove) containing a comfortable queen futon bed, all for $135 plus tax.

The creaky floors are a bit uneven, as was the temperature of my morning shower, and the windows and screens need some improvements (one window was being held open by a book, while another window seemed to be glued shut). But all of these issues are not uncommon for such an old hotel and didn't really detract from our stay. Overall, the place was nice and cozy, tastefully decorated, and while there was no a/c, there was plenty of floor and ceiling fans to circulate the air until the temp dropped in the early evening. The biggest surprise was the cafe downstairs that serves breakfast and lunch. While not included with the price of the room, service was fast, affordable and one of the better breakfast experiences I've had. The hotel is also within walking distance of two or three restaurants, a small liquor store, and the fairly lively Trading Post Saloon. While Centennial is extremely small and not much of a tourist destination, it's worth stopping in for a meal or an overnight if you're passing through, or if you just want an alternative to staying in Laramie.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelingColoradan
Burlington, IA
Reviewed 20 July 2010

This was an ok experience bordering on disappointing. We spent two nights here in the smaller of the two "suites" that were available. This suite is on the main floor and consists of a decent sitting room with couch, chair, small refrigerator, microwave, and seperate bedroom with two not so comfy queen beds. This room had a patio door and no other source of ventilation meaning that at night it was a struggle to not let it get too stuffy. The floors creaked loudly near the bathroom so when anyone in the family needed to use it, everyone woke up. It is a very old building and we loved that it was being re-used, but I felt as if I was going to step clear through the floor when it creaked so loudly. The in-room coffee maker was quite icky, I was told due to hard water build up, but it simply did not appear to have been maintained very well. TV was very limited but that is not the purpose of staying near the great snowy range mountains. There is a nice looking coffee shop and lunch cafe in the building, but no complimentary coffee nor breakfast of any kind was included in the room rate- an unforgiveable mistake given the price and nearby less expensive options in Laramie. The staff was friendly but we never felt totally "welcomed". I had hoped for more. I will recommend it to others, but take note of my cautions- there may be better rooms and beds available.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank readittoday

Been to Mountain View Historic Hotel? Share your experiences!