“O this place could be so much more!!”

Mountain View Historic Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Centennial
“O this place could be so much more!!”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I really hate to be leaving this review as Judy (the lady who was managing the hotel for Ev while she was down south) was fabulous!! If we ever needed anything she was a phone call away and very helpful!!! This hotel is in disrepair. We stayed in the Wildflower suite. When we stayed the suite was very worn, light bulbs were burnt out, the suite was cold due to the fireplace was not working properly, the beds are old and uncomfortable, water heater is horrible, the fridge and microwave area needed a good cleaning. I tested the fire alarm to make sure it worked properly. At least the bathroom was clean and the floors had been vacuumed so that was a big plus. It is sad because all this place needs is a coat of paint, new carpet, and some new furniture, with those simple changes it could be very cozy. Also the windows leaked horribly!!! They remodeled a couple of rooms recently and I was able to see one of the new rooms and it was BEAUTIFUL (new carpet, paint, the bathroom was gorgeous)!!! If we had only booked one of those rooms!!! I saw that remodeled room and thought if they could remodel the rest of the rooms that way plus the hallway and lobby area I would return to this hotel quite frequently as the location is great! My folks were staying in another not recently remodeled room and my dad said he never wanted to stay here again due to the leaky door/windows and the hot water fluctuated from scalding hot to cold or no hot water at all!! That takes a lot for my dad to say he never wants to stay somewhere again!!! I know this building is old, but please this place has a lot of potential!!! Make this place clean, warm, comfortable, and functional again!!! I see with the new Indian paintbrush room that you guys are on the right track!!! Keep it up!! Replace the windows and horrible water heater too!!! I know you can do it! Thank you Judy for everything you did to make our stay comfortable! You are a diamond in the rough!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank catballou22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Kenai, Alaska
Reviewed 8 November 2012

This is a cute, quaint hotel. Was very quiet, and well maintained. It is not fancy, but is a great location and very well priced. We stayed on a week day during early November and due to the low season were the only guests at the hotel. Hotel management is making renovations to the property - new carpets, etc which will look wonderful when completed. I would certainly stay here again in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cassady25
Bubenreuth, Germany
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I found this hotel short notice through tripadvisor on my way from Grand Teton to Rochy Mountain National Park. It's lovely situated in the Medicine Bow Mountains in the small town Centennial. When I arrived, I found my name on the cork-board with the name of my room, which was awaiting me.
The room was nice, clean and with a personal touch that made me feel at home instantly. The room was equipped with a quuen bed, TV, refrigarator, Microwave and coffee maker. In the refig. a plate was waiting for me with some treats for breakfast the next morning and on the desk was a welcome notice and my bill.
The next morning the host welcomed and showed me off in person.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Meike V
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 August 2012

If you don't care about fancy hotel ammenities and you are looking for some place QUIET, then this is the place for you!! There are only a few rooms, so on our visit, we did not have to suffer with other guests' inconsiderate slamming of bedroom doors that one often experiences in hotels. But with that said, there is a church next door whose Ringing of Bells went off at 1:30 a.m.!!!! Apparently, something went wrong in their bell ringing schedule. So for 10 minutes, I had to listen to their bells play old christian hymns--not that I don't like the old hymns, but not at 1:30 in the morning!! And the thing was, I had no idea it was going to stop, so I was very upset about this. Thanks though to Eva (the owner) who--when I complained to her the next morning--immediately called the church pastor.

Now about our room...we stayed in the Wildflower Suite. The bathroom was CLEAN, albeit small and no place really to put our stuff unless we wanted to use the etegere and risk things falling through the bars. In general, the entire place was clean. By the way, in addition to the 3 queen beds, there is a modular couch that could easily sleep 2 more people if you were so inclinded to use the couch that way. The bedroom has a chest of drawers for storage; the smaller bedroom has a very small closet for storage.

In addition, the owner, Eva, is a great lady--I really enjoyed my brief chats with her. She cares about her hotel and her guests and it shows.

For food, one must cross the street to eat at The Friendly Cafe because Eva no longer has food service at her hotel.

Finally, this is not a beautiful hotel, it is an old hotel. Our room was not at all pretty, nothing to please the eyes. The downstairs, however, is very quant, and perhaps the other rooms are as well.

My sister, with whom I was traveling, said that she would return to this hotel because she liked the quiet so much. If I came back to the area, I would stay at The Old Corral because it is new (just 20 years old) and I like new better than old.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Carole L
Glendale, California
Reviewed 30 July 2012

This little hotel dates back to the beginning of the last century wehn Centennial was going to be a destination resort. It never was that, but it is a cute little town at the foot of the Snowy Range. Mountain View serves summer travelors and winter skiers. The rooms are charming, and the owner is as font of hospitality and local knowledge. By far the best place to stay in Centennial

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I just love this hotel. So full of history and charm. I am in love with their new smoke pit BBQ! This has got to be the best BBQ I have had in a long time. Jeff and Georgia and their family are fantastic! You could not be more genuinely friendly and down to earth people. If you can get the chance you also have to do the paranormal event they have there as well. Cowboy State Paranormal Investigations did an excellent job in providing a fun and unique event!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Golden, CO
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at this quaint historic hotel. We have stayed many times before. Please disregard all negative comments written before December of 2010. The hotel changed hands in December and is presently family-owned-and-operated. This smallish hotel has the "feel" of a B&B.

We stayed in the Hahns Peak room on the lower level, which is a suite. We had a living room with TV, VCR, refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, etc. The bathroom is oversized but has a shower only. We had double beds and a balcony to let our dog out. It is pet friendly. It is listed on the National Historic Registry. The family is working hard to restore the hotel back to its original 1907 time period.

They started up their barbecue dinners the night we were there. The food was delicious. We had a choice of beef brisket, pulled pork or chicken, all cooked in a BBQ pit, along with many different side dishes from which to choose (all homemade). Each family member had his/her own specialty side dish. They also serve breakfast and lunch. They have many fabulous homemade pastries. They have an honor system for pop and water.

We would highly recommend this place! The family goes out of its way to make sure your stay is pleasurable.

Room Tip: Choose the Hahns Peak room for your family!