“Dirty smelly overpriced motel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hitching Post Inn

Hitching Post Inn
Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in Cheyenne
sunderland
“Dirty smelly overpriced motel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed at the hitching post for 3 nights we booked because of the location close to frontier days the front of house staff are helpfull but thats it the rooms smell the carpets are dirty the bed covers smelled ofsmoke one the first morning the maids came we asked them to come back later they never did the next day they turned up but only made the bed thats all we paid over .£400 for 3 nights rip off

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank john1722

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cheyenne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

This is the motor lodge that was behind the burrned out Best Western. I picked it purely for the good price relative to the normally-awful summer rates in this crappy little town. Pros: friendly staff, plenty of parking, rooms with interior + exterior doors, good wifi. Cons: Old, smelly rooms, bare-bones breakfast.
My room smelled like smoke, I was offered another room which was worse, I went back to the first one because of better parking. I was told they would spray and air it out but there was no evidence it happened. The hallways reek and even the pillows smelled like smoke in my "non-smoking" room. There is likely nothing they can do about it because the place is so old. The carpet was stained up pretty bad and smelled like urine at the end of the day when the room was warmer. The sink was extremely slow. Since I worked until well after dark each day I never said anything more to the staff. I woke up every time someone closed their door. Since it was mostly blue-collar workers that was many times between 5-6AM. Spend the extra 20% and check into the next-cheapest place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Travellers are raving about these Cheyenne hotels

Garland, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

We got to Cheyenne late in the day with no reservations anywhere. Everywhere we tried was booked. Through an online booking agency we found this one, and since we were desperate, we took it. When we drove up the dilapidated building in front scared us to the point that we tried to cancel our booking, but since they were going to charge us for it anyway, we decided to bite the bullet and stay--and I am glad we did. The front desk clerk was very nice. The lobby was immaculate and smelled clean. The carpet down the halls was new, and the walls were freshly painted. This is an older hotel so the rooms are dated, but our room was enormous--seriously. Big clean bathroom, comfortable beds, the bottle opener referenced by another reviewer is a leftover from when the hotel was built--all hotels used to include these on a door jamb somewhere when I was a kid. There was some noise from other rooms at first, but by 10 pm or so all was quiet.
On the con side, there IS a train that goes by through the night but with the a/c blowing, it wasn't too bad. The Internet was spotty off and on, but I was able to use it. I didn't care for the fact that the rooms have both a door into the hall and a door opening to the outside (we were two women traveling alone) but we didn't have any trouble.
If you're picky, you might give this one a miss--but honestly, we didn't have any of the problems that others have reported. Maybe the staff is alert to previous issues and are on top of them now. When this hotel is competed (it's still undergoing some renovation) I think it will be a fine place to stop. It's right on the same street with all the other lodging places in town, so not that hard to find. Our rate for the big room with 2 double beds was 79.99, so we didn't feel taken advantage of.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dalpop
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Motel is hard to find. It sits behind what appears to be a condemned building. My room was clean. The bed and other furnishings were very old and in poor shape. The lobby and hallway smelled musty. If i had not seen so many “No Vacancy” signs in town and if I were not so very tired, I would have walked out of the lobby immediatley.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, go to a different motel.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Michael W
Lucky Lake, Saskatchewan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Was driving from Billings and it was getting late so we had to find a pet friendly hotel to stay in for the night. Last chance was this hotel. Got the room and wasnt happy from the time we walked into the door. First off room smelt so bad like it was saturated in urine and fecies and mold. Then I went to connect my computer, oh look, no internet. Asked at the desks and he said someone else mentioned that too. Then puppy started finding all sorts of things on the floor from plastic pieces of garbage to twist ties to lots of food products on the floor. Then he found something and started to choke. That was it we packed up told the guy at the front desk that we were leaving. Was very pricey for what you werent getting. Would not recommend this hotel to even my worst enemy. When was the last time it was cleaned, hmm maybe never. Are they looking fort a dog to die in those rooms?? Sure wasnt going to be mine. What a way to ruin a vacation. Ill make sure that everyone knows to stay away from this place. This was the worst I have ever encountered. Hopefully on our journey we will find alot better. Oh look we did. Cheaper,cleaner and alot friendlier. We drove another 1.5 hrs to get there but thats ok with me.and my puppy.

Room Tip: Dont stay here you've been warned.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Andreaj1964
Cheyenn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

Rooms are larger than expected with microwave & fridge. Clean, quiet & neat.
Definately a 'party' hotel, there are bottle openers in the bathroom!!! The ground floor is given to smokers, so if you are not a smoker don't leave your windows open on the 2nd floor or you will be miserable!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

We had to stay here because the others were full. Surrounding area is dirt& dust, yard area has patches of overgrown grass with tall dandelions gone to seed. Linens stained, leftover soap in shower, missing light bulbs, noisy, AND located right by railway with air horns all night . Breakfast=cold cereal, toast. All for 110.00. Girl at the front desk was nice though. Drive on by!

• Stayed June 2013