“It Is An Historic Hotel; You Have To Keep That In Mind”

The Historic Plains Hotel
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Cheyenne
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Pros: 1) very friendly, earnest and sincerely accommodating staff 2) Historic Hotel 3). very nice, spacious King bed rooms.

Cons: 1). Very small, slow but uniquely antique elevator; you will be taking the stairs if you are able to walk whenever a large group is in the house 2). non-King rooms are quite small
3). Technology issues seem to challenge staff when billing/room changes need to be adjusted; I've still not received an email copy of my bill as promised when I checked out a few weeks ago
4). Be forewarned that street parking is the quickest alternative to the valet, but you might have to hunt a little to find a space nearby

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank WyLo808
plainshotel, Sales and Catering Admin at The Historic Plains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for your honest review of The Historic Plains Hotel. We greatly appreciate your honesty!

We hope you will stay with us again soon!

The Historic Plains Hotel

Reviewed 10 December 2013

*Remind yourself: This is a 1911 Historic Hotel in Cheyenne, WY*

Rooms were relatively clean, large, fridge, microwave, functional heaters, and cost about $100/night.

**Remind yourself: This is a 1911 Historic Hotel in Cheyenne, WY**

Friendly and accommadating front desk staff. The electricity went out in my room so they quickly gave me a new one.

***Remind yourself: This is a 1911 Historic Hotel in Cheyenne, WY***

Central location in downtown Cheyenne, lots of shopping and food within walking distance.

****Remind yourself: This is a 1911 Historic Hotel in Cheyenne, WY****

One night, I rode a tricycle through the hallways. At the end of the hall, I saw two girls in blue dresses . They said, "Come play with us Danny...forever...and ever...and ever..." (Just Kidding!)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank John P
plainshotel, Sales and Catering Admin at The Historic Plains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Greetings,

Thank you so much for your valuable input!

We greatly appreciate any and all comments regarding our Hotel and what we can do to make guests' experiences one to remember!

Once again thank you and please come stay with us again!

The Historic Plains Hotel Management and Staff

Reviewed 25 November 2013

My husband and I were on our way from Minnesota to Park City, UT and we needed a place to spend the night. We also had our Springer Spaniel, so we needed a hotel that would allow him. I found the Plains on Tripadvisor. I was excited that it was historic, but given their low prices, was realistic on my expectations. For the price, I was very pleased. The hotel lobby is very cute and the staff was very nice. Our room was plenty clean and the bathroom was surprisingly nice. However, when we went into our room, it was freezing! Not a big deal - my husband looked for the thermostat. Nope - it was a window unit (both A/C and heat). Now, again, no big deal, except that you could feel the wind blowing through the cracks around the unit...a big strange. The bed was OK - but it felt like it was about as old as the hotel. There were some stains in the ceiling and we could hear the people above us. Would we stay there again? Maybe...but I would want to stay on the top floor. The breakfast at the Capital Grill (off the lobby) was phenomenal!! I would consider staying there again just for the breakfast. But overall, I give it 3 out of 5 - not because I was disappointed, but because we pretty much got what we expected for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gutzj01
plainshotel, Sales and Catering Admin at The Historic Plains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Greetings,

Thank you so much for expressing your experience with us! We greatly appreciate any input from our guests to improve our accommodations.

Please join us again as we are going through some renovations and will have a new Rewards Program!

Thanks again for your feedback!

The Historic Plains Hotel Management and Staff.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

The Plains Hotel is not the usual accommodations that I am accustomed to while traveling. However, the Plains Hotel is very nice set in the earlier years of the west. The staff all are very friendly and go out of their way to offer assistance. I had both dinner and breakfast at the restaurant. The meals were excellent and well within an affordable price range. The hotel is located in the small city of Cheyenne where there are other restaurants well within walking distance. I worked much from my room and the Internet was quick. Hotel parking along the street was plentiful, however, I was there at the off season. Rooms are small, older hotel, but clean. Yes, I would forgoe my Hilton Points and stay there again during future visits. Hotel is Recommended.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul K
plainshotel, Sales and Catering Admin at The Historic Plains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Greetings,

We are so pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay here at The Plains Hotel!

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments and recommendation!

We look forward to having you stay with us again and we will soon have the Choice Reward Program so you will be able to earn points!

The Management and Staff of the Historic Plains Hotel

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I always stay here because it is located downtown. I always like seeing familiar faces. Last time I stayed I was sad to see Amanda Disney at the front desk because she was by far everyones favorite bar tender. If she isn't bar tending people leave and go somewhere else. Her bubbly fun personality makes the plains restaurant. She is greatly missed at the bar but rocks the front desk. Amanda Disney is a great asset to the plains. I will continue to stay at the plains as long as they keep making my stays memorable. I have seen so many changes in the past couple months I can't wait to see it next summer!!

• Stayed: October 2013

Greetings,

Thank You SO MUCH for this AMAZING Review!

We greatly appreciate your input and LOVE that you continually stay here at The Plains Hotel!

We appreciate you and your fantastic comments!

Thanks again,
The Historic Plains Hotel Staff and Management.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Plains Hotel is a wonderful destination for everyone who enjoys great food and wants to stay, not only in a beautiful turn of the 20th century hotel, but one which was redecorated in the 1930s and 40s by the important designer, Thomas Molesworth. Molesworth’s signature look was a rustic yet elegant western atmosphere. Included are Molesworth’s burled furniture along with Navaho textiles, E. A. Huffman photos and Southwestern Paintings. Atmosphere is friendly, relaxed, well-maintained, reflecting many eras of restoration.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Timothy W A

Greetings,

Thank you so much for your Fantastic Review! We love our authentic furniture pieces and all the history that is within our Hotel!

We are so happy to hear when our guests' can find the same appreciation for history as we do!

Thanks again for your review and comments.

The Management and Staff of The Historic Plains Hotel.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Nice clean no frills room. Shower water pressure very low. Old windows didn't block road noise...hard to sleep. Love the location and historical ambience. For the low price a good bargain. Will stay again but with earplugs!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
plainshotel, Sales and Catering Admin at The Historic Plains Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Greetings,

Thank you for your response and comments regarding The Historic Plains Hotel. We greatly appreciate any and all feedback from our guests!

We hope you stay with us again soon!

Thanks again,
The Management and Staff of The Historic Plains Hotel.