“One of the worst rooms I have ever been in.”

Central Plaza Hotel
and 1 more site!
Central Plaza Hotel
Ranked #30 of 33 Hotels in Cheyenne
oregon
“One of the worst rooms I have ever been in.”
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I don't know where the nice rooms were that the other reviewers stayed in, but ours was awful. It was blustery the day we were there, and the door was so drafty that it allowed enough wind in that the curtains (which were torn and shabby) were blowing in the wind. The room didn't really get warm. The fan for the heater was so loud that we had to sleep using earplugs. The bathroom was horrid. The rubber mat in the tub had been there so long that it was a permanent part of the tub. There was mildew in all the caulking, and the soap dish was rusted through. There was no place to plug in a laptop. There was a desk with no chair. The upholstered chairs were dirty. I wouldn't walk on the carpet without shoes. The sheets and towels were clean and that is the only thing I can say positive about the room. I booked through Hotwire, which I will never do again after this experience.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank justbhonest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I've stayed here several times since my 2007 review and still find it as nice as it was then. The owners are as pleasant and accommodating as can be, the rooms are nicely appointed, clean and quiet, and no other guests have been remotely unpleasant. I have stayed elsewhere in Cheyenne but prefer the Grand (the Central Plaza), and not because of the budget price.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Denver
Reviewed 23 September 2009

Now the Central Plaza, the new owners have done a good job rejuvinating this hotel, good location in town near restaurants etc., but far enough away from the train tracks that train noise is not an issue. Good basic room, comfortable, clean. Nothing fancy, but a great value. Did not eat at the on-site restaurant so no comment on that. Owners were very accomodating, and beyond that nice people who seemed to be always on-site. Will definitely stay here again when in Cheyenne.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
South Dakota
Reviewed 17 September 2009

We were visiting for the Cheyenne Frontier Days due to all motels being booked this was our last resort, when we arrived at the hotel it was nothing like the pictures on the internet. The underground parking garage was real scary! Sewer leaking near our car. The elevators and halls were terrible dirty. We got our room it was on third floor, it looked like it hadn't been clean ever. It smelled terrible and just filthy dirty. We didn' even want to sit on beds. The balcony was loose and carpet was tore up on third floor. Needless to say we didn't stay there got our money back, and went to the Wingate on edge of town. Paid more but so worth it. Definately don't stay at this hotel!!

Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank HideawaysSouthDakota

Travellers are raving about these Cheyenne hotels

Florence, Oregon
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I stayed at the former "Cheyenne Grand Hotel" which has been sold to a well-educated and friendly Egyptian couple and dramatically refurbished and has been renamed the "Central Plaza Hotel." The lobby was so-so. But the rooms had new carpeting, furniture, wall-cloth, drapes, bedding, , ceramic tile, plumbing fixtures, and up-grade towels. The new owners bought the hotel in late 2006 or 2007 and have spent a bundle on the rooms. So, unlike other,earlier reviewers, I had a very nice stay.
In addition to liking the room and the owners, I also liked the location--right downtown. Unlike many downtown hotels, the Central Plaza had ample parking on its own property. Most important, it was an easy walk to half dozen restaurants, the central events plaza, a big western-wear store, the state buildings, the historic core of Cheyenne, and even the stunning Cheyenne city library. A great place to walk around after a day in the car is a rarity.
The Central Plaza was a huge improvement over the plain-Jane-chain motels, but not as detail-perfect as the yuppie motels. But for a comparable room it was about half the price and had a whole lot to recommend it; not the least of which were the owner-operators who seemed to be on duty 24-7.
I was both pleased and impressed. From my experience, I think of the Central Plaza as a "find" and I plan to go back when I visit Cheyenne. R. Bruton, retired school administrator and builder in Florence, Oregon.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Sibotski
southern wyoming
Reviewed 13 December 2006

The worst motel/hotel I have ever encountered and I have been to a bunch of them. We had made reservations and we had a late arrival. The front desk gals checked us in, gave us a key and told us to use the elevator. We couldn't find the room but there was a BIG party going on in a room with the door wide open. We asked a girl hanging outside that party if she knew where the room was. She did and pointed us to it. We left the pot filled area and went to find our room. We noticed a mattress leaning against the railing outside our room. We unlocked the door and found the box springs half off the bed laying on the floor. The top mattress was outside! I kid you not! There was no bedding. The foul smell of stale cigarettes and alcohol were overwhelming and nauseating. The bathroom door had a huge hole in it that you could see right through. We hauled our luggage back down to the lobby and complained. She gave us another key and my wife said that the desk girl should go with her and show her the room before we hauled our luggage up there again. And quite frankly, my wife didn't feel safe with all the people partying up there. I stayed with our luggage/packages. We didn't feel that the parking lot provided any safety to even leave our packages inside our locked vehicle! My wife and a gal from the front desk went up the elevator and when the desk girl opened that room there was a couple in bed!!!! (and they were not sleeping) My wife was mortified. I was ticked off and tired. We wanted our credit card credited and asked that they find us a room. They booked us a room at the Holiday Inn which I suggested that they pay for it because of all the trouble we had indured. They would not do that. The Grand Plaza is a flop house, a dump, poorly run and if you ask to talk to the owner, he can not be located. The front desk gals didn't even know where he was but had a cell number. I called that number and got the owner. I told him what I thought and that I thought he should PAY for a room at another motel. Even though he had a heavy Mid-Eastern accent, I understood perfectly that he could care less! Stay far, far, away from this pigstye.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — too numerous to list
  • Tips/Secrets — stay far away. do not stay here.
  • Stayed July 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank Laurie H
Gilette Wyoming
Reviewed 8 December 2006

My reservations were made through them personally, I particully asked how was the hotel and the rooms. The man i spoke to was the owner, I did not know this at the time of the reservation on the phone. He told me "of course this place is nice, that is why we are called the grand plaze hotel. When me and my wife checked in I paid for 3 nights on my credit card. I was not in the room but 3 minutes before i realized that we have made a mistake. we immediatly went back to the lobby and the gentleman that was working was really nice, he called the owner to approve the refund and it was approved. Outside the young man at the front desk being helpful and friendly, i would not recomend this hotel to anyone that has any respect for themself. The place stunk horribly, the swimming pool was closed. the restaurant was out of business. and the place was just over all filtyy.

• Liked — desk clerk
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay Away
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank krazyoleme