“Would not recomend calling with questions”

Schmalz's Red Pole Ranch and Motel
Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Cody
Red Lodge, Montana
“Would not recomend calling with questions”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We are unable to rate the property, just our experience when we called wanting more information and wanting to book a room.

The woman who picked up said she was the owner, was very short and ill tempered with me. I tried to be polite and ask my question about the rooms, but was interrupted by her outburst about a travel agent that had called earlier with the same question (yes, that was our agent, but she hadn't answered his question and hung up on him, so I was forced to call myself), in the end I just tried to be extra polite but the level of rudeness was unbelievable, and our called ended with her barking the answer then hanging up on me. Maybe she was having a bad day?

It's a shame, because the location seems like a super place, but I could never go there and meet the person who displays that nasty attitude at her work place.

Basically- 1 star for making the place un-bookable due to bad attitude.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank GG_gemini
schmalzie, Owner at Schmalz's Red Pole Ranch and Motel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
I am not sure just WHO this person was calling, or WHO she ended up on the phone with, but it sure wasn't anyone around our ranch! We have yet to find ANYONE who had that kind of answer from an "owner" at our place!? If this person was INSISTENT that she be allowed to bring a Pet along-well, I could see Patty Jo telling her no in no uncertain terms-because of a few bad experiences with guests and their pets in the past (that's why we don't allow them anymore), but she sure wouldn't Yell at her or hang up angrily! Patty is a very caring and sensitive person (she has a disability, but doesn't let it slow her down at all), and takes the best care of all of our guests! I can't believe that we received a Single Star from someone who never even Stayed Here!?

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Springfield, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have been on the road for about 12 days. This was one of our favorite overnight stops. We had been touring The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone and then drove down to Cody. The cabins were nicely done and the beds are wonderful!!! We opened our windows during the night and the room felt wonderful! The shower is great and the hot water is good. There is internet access, a fridge, microwave, and toaster. Very well supplied! You park right at your room and checking in is very easy and quick. We were only about 10 miles outside of Cody so it was very convenient but away from all the "noise" of Cody.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LeeAnne A
old river ,texas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

my family and I have been staying at the red pole ranch every summer for years, Don and Patty jo the owners are two of the finest people you will ever meet. they go above and beyond to make your stay the most comfortable and memorable and are at your beck and call 24/7. we had some friends with us one year and their water pump on their truck busted and Patty Jo made 1 phone call to Cody and told us where the mechanic shop was and when we got there it was jammed packed full of vehicles to be worked on and they took us right in and made my friends vehicle priority and it was fixed and back on the road within a hour and a half. you just cant beat that kind of service. Patty Jo and Don know everyone up there and they have great friends that can help you in just about any emergency that might pop up. their place has million dollar views and very quiet ,great staff and they can set you up with any activity that you and your family wants to do.we have always been treated like family there and I read some of the negative stories that some people write in on them and im here to tell you that its not true. I have seen these folks bend over backwards for their customers and do thing for people that I have never seen owners even think about doing for anyone. I recommend the red pole ranch to anyone who wants to get their peace of mind back and relax in a great atmosphere surrounded by great views and great people

Room Tip: all of their rooms are fit for a king in comfort
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The Red Pole Ranch is in a nice location on the road to Yellowstone, but it is not a ranch. It is a motel consisting of a few cottages behind a public park. The entrance is a typical Western ranch gate, but the only “cattle” we saw were a few deer that came to graze on their lawn. There were no horses, and no mules.

Service was ok, and Mrs. Schmalz was accommodating. We bought two chairs so we could sit by the window and admire the scenery.

There was no heat in the bathroom. We were supposed to have a full kitchen, but found built-in hot plates, and a second small refrigerator that leaked. The heat consisted of covered heat coils that got so dangerously hot that we had to turn them off at night. It didn’t matter.

A promised follow-up package was never sent, and a very racist, and nasty letter from Mr. Schmalz will keep us to ever go near the place again.

New guests need to know that Mr. Schmalz, whom we have never met, does not tolerate negative reviews. He turns nasty, see responses to other one-star reviews.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dagpel
schmalzie, Owner at Schmalz's Red Pole Ranch and Motel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
This person is bound and determined to destroy us! She stayed here nearly a year ago, after which she bragged about what a wonderful time she had here, how she was coming back, and just couldn't say enough about the accomodations and her "wonderful stay"!! During the winter, she asked us to send her "Wild Game Meat"! We instantly told her that that was against the law, and refused to ship it to her! She is since trying to destroy us! THIS review is not the first! The good folks at Trip Advisor took her review off here about two months ago, and she posted it again! We did nothing to this person and whatever she is writing about has nothing to do with the quality of her stay! We have a BEAUTIFUL place, 18 head of horses and mules (two new stud colts that we let onto the big lawn with their momma's each night for the enjoyment of the guests as they frolic and play)! There is 3500 acres on this ranch, but most years we can't run as many stock as we used to. After working as a "High Country Guide and Outfitter" for most of my life (we used to run 60-70 head on this ranch, plus yearlings on top of the mountain), I am slowing down and content to just "watch our colts grow" and build a few Ranchgates! I do hope our guests will read the content of our guests' Reviews and see how many PERFECTS we received! My wife has a Prosthetic Leg, and makes hundreds of miles each year-between the house and these cabins-making sure that our guests get the BEST we have to offer! I am very proud of her for it! Please post our response Trip Advisor Personell!
Lombard, Illinois
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed at the Red Pole Ranch for five days in September, 2013. It was completely quiet - the only sound was the elk bugling and clumping around at night! My wife heard them right outside the cabin! Early one morning we saw a herd of antelope running a few hundred yards away in the park. The cabin was perfectly maintained and squeaky clean, and the grounds were a great place to relax and enjoy the sunset. The location is a few minutes outside of town but it's worth the drive to get to all that peace, quiet, and beautiful scenery, and the hosts are really good people. You can pay more for a place to stay in Cody, but you won't find a better one.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mark D
Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Headed west, booked the unknown and stepped into paradise. Somewhat out of the way but well worth the extra drive. Scenery was stunningly beautiful to enjoy for the time I was there. A heaven full of stars greeted me every night. WOWSER'S. I arrived very late but the ol' note on the door of the main house said it all. Even a "welcome" note greeted me on the door to my cabin. Kind of made you feel like you made the right choice in staying. Room was BIG with all the right amenities inside. Next morning saw Elk, Antelope all around the area. Sometimes if you do go out of the way the joyous surprises that come along a blissfully welcome. Do go and stay at the Red Pole Ranch.
You will be glad you did!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank travln4
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 February 2014

the scenic drive from Yellowstone through Wapiti to Cody is one of the most scenic in the United Sates.

However, Wyoming is expensive for families especially. Accommodations and food are high priced and you never really know whether or not everything man made will meet your expectations. For example in Jackson Hole at an upscale restaurant the menu said "foie gras". Whoopie. How I love foie gras. I'm thinking of the last sublime time at Gresham Palace, four Seasons, Budapest. It was an appetizer, a tease, and not expensive.

In Jackson Hole foie gras means mousse pate :D. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it. I did but that small slice with a couple slices of baguette and an entree were $55+. The Chinese Restaurant across from the visitor's center in Cody has a fantastic buffet starting around $9 at lunch time. You can enjoy listening to Vadim Sakharov while eating. The place draws a professorial crowd because price and music. (The funny part is the waiter thought that was Chinese music; must have grown up with it) the owner is Chinese and has been in Wyoming for 18 years.

Naturally, I now wondered what my accommodations in Wapiti would be.

I needn't have worried.it was everything as pictured and more...
My cabin was #6 complete with a teddy bear smiling from the bed. But more than that it had everything...magnificent scenery, a frig, toaster, cutting board, a zillion channel TV, and all the little amenities one gets at an upscale city hotel, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, coffee etc. and Wifi. The owners (Schmalz) and cleaning staff were more than helpful.

You can go to the grocery in Cody and buy everything for a picnic, breakfast, or supper. Don't bother shopping the liquor stores. the pricing's all the same.

Just head out for the day to the most glorious national parks. If you're a US senior citizen buy the pass for $10 at your local national park and you're into any national park for free for the rest of your life! I was so surprised.

You will see bear, elk, moose, wild turkey and buffalo, right up close and personal.
Any questions...ask The Red Pole Ranch and enjoy.

Room Tip: #6 sleeps 3...god for couple with child
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo