“Trickery and flies”

Cody Holiday Lodge
Ranked #23 of 29 Speciality Lodging in Cody
“Trickery and flies”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed at Grizzly Bear Lodge the second week of September. Cody, WY was jammed packed with lots of tour buses, RVs, cars - tourists from all over, maybe even up from Colorado where they had just had some massive rains. We were driving down US 16, the main drag in Cody looking for a room. Hotel after hotel was booked solid until we happened onto Moose Creek Lodge and Suites with a big "Vacancy" sign out front. We stopped figuring our hunt for a room was over. Nope, it was not to be. At the front desk we inquired about a room and they said "Oh sorry, we're filled up!" And then I asked about the "Vacancy" sign out front. They said management wouldn't let them change it, but "Oh, there's a place down the road with rooms still available!" And then they handed us a piece of paper (there were several in a pile just waiting to be handed out) with the name of "Grizzly Bear Lodge" and a map and phone number. Hmm...so we drive another few miles to Grizzly Bear Lodge and it sure left a lot to be desired! We paid $97.15 for a minimal room, one that under normal circumstances would not have even come close to "making the cut". A real pit! But the flies liked it! Shame on the tactics used by Moose Creek and Grizzly Bear Lodge which are probably owned by the same person. Good thing I don't travel to Cody much. I'd rather sleep in the car and should have!

ps. The picture shown must belong to another hotel; it sure isn't this one!

Room Tip: Look elsewhere!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank upacrk1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Louisa, Kentucky
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I've been on the road 13 days and compared to other places we have stayed this ranks towards the bottom. We paid approx. 70.00 for the room, to be more fair to the motel owners there are nicer rooms but we did not want to pay more just to sleep and shower. The room does not have a microwave, coffee pot or refrigerator. The continental breakfast was coffee, looked like tang juice and a loaf of wheat bread from Walmart and jelly and butter. I was surprised to find so many places filled to capacity and no vacancy, I thought after Labor Day the crowds would be less. It's still been crowded here in Cody and Yellowstone but I don't know what it's like during the summer time. Also the lights at night at the motel shined through the drapes it felt like I was in the land of the midnight sun. This motel is 3 miles from town towards Yellowstone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have a light outside in the overhang.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jmnteddyLakeCity_FL

Travellers are raving about these Cody hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We have been travelling around the US for over 3 months and generally choose to stay in the cheaper, family run motels rather than the big chains and I have to say we have found some real gems, but this is not one of them.
The room had no fridge or microwave, no soap is provided either. The towels are so old and thin you would be better served using paper towels to dry yourself after showering, if you choose to squash yourself into the tiny, mouldy cubicle that passes for a shower here.
We went out and locked our room, then couldnt get back in when we returned, the manager had to come and unlock our door, a new security feature implemented to stop someone else getting into your room! He was rude and dismissive, as if it was our fault we had locked ourselves out of our room.
Just one other thing, we had to kill a dozen flies before we went to sleep and there were a dozen more when we awoke in the morning!
This is priced WAY above what it should be, but it was late and we had limited options for accommodation.
The best part of this experience is leaving

Room Tip: Drive past this one
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dougaloz
St. Cloud, MN
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed at the Grizzly Bear Lodge in Cody when everything else was booked. I think some of these reviews are from another place with the same name? If you're coming out of Yellowstone NP, this is kinda at the beginning of Cody on the right hand side. It's right across the street from a rodeo arena and about 1/4 mile from Walmart. It's not in the mountains and there's no river running behind it. The picture that is shown of the fireplace is not the right picture. There is nothing like that here.
The owner was super friendly, talked my hubby's ear off about cars and the rodeo and everything. Even called another hotel in town for us to reserve a room when I thought the kids really wanted a pool. He even said he'd hold a room if we wanted to do any other looking around for a different place. They didn't really care about the pool so we stayed here. He was an older gentleman with a tye dye shirt on. Like I said, super friendly. Don't know if he's just a worker, or owns the place, but he was there again in the morning..
Room was clean. We had the option of a "newer" room or an "older" one for $25 less. We chose the "newer". Room was decent size, 2 beds, nightstand, table and chairs, dresser with tv. Bathroom door didn't shut all the way, kinda stuck so I told the kids not to shut it all the way. I wasn't sure if I'd get them out.
Beds are definitely not your "pillow top" mattress beds, a little too low and hard for my usual liking, but it was somewhere to sleep in a quiet area. Even with the rodeo going on, we heard nothing. A/C worked just fine and we were provided with towels and soap. No little bottles of lotion or shampoo, but we always pack our own anyway. I mean, even the little bottles you get at a hotel are not going to last for 4 people.
They do have a mini breakfast in the morning. It's just juice and toast I believe. That's what the guy said, we didn't go down, we had to hit the road right away, so I ran into Walmart while hubby filled up with gas across the street.
Would I stay here again? If everything was booked up again I would, but I, personally, would try to find a place with a pool and/or hot tub. That's just my preference. I definitely wouldn't "never go there again". Too bad I didn't take a picture of this place so I could update the photos a bit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Forsyth, Georgia
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The owners are rude and unresponsive, the rooms are not clean and full of bugs, ants, scorpions??,and spiders. Went to complain about bugs biting got no response had to leave and go someplace else, This place looks like a cozy place in the mountains on a river bank could be a great place but totally needs someone with customer service skills and quality cleanliness. These rooms are not cleaned after each guest, the guy had to check our room and he said "oh no one must have stayed here last night." My mom and I traveled around the U.S. and out of 15 states and numerous hotel stays this was the worst, This was the worst hotel or cabin stay that I have ever had in 54 years of travel. Stay elsewhere save yourself the agony!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else or sleep in your car.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LindaGale54
Rose Hill,KS
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our way to Yellowstone. We were offered 3 price ranges depending on the rooms status of "remodeling". We chose the cheap room which was just fine. We did not see the higher priced rooms. Our room had older shag carpet, curtains and bedspread and only a stand up shower but clean and quiet. The staff was very nice and recommended a great restaurant for dinner. The rodeo arena is across the street but even with Xtreme bull riding that evening, it was peaceful. It is a short drive to shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: Staff did allow us to view rooms before registering
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We did a road trip from Salt Lake City to Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore and everything in between! After a long day of taking in the forest's beauty, we were looking for a room to stay. Most of the hotels in Cody were booked when I looked online. All we needed to do was sleep, so price needed to stay low. We pulled into the Grizzly Bear Lodge and got a room for $75. Not what we had hoped to pay but long day, late and sleepy and not wanting to keep driving, we took it. The exterior had charm because they look like cabins. The room was SMALL! and the "bathroom" was about the size of a restroom stall. No bed bugs so we just settled in and slept. Not the fanciest place but definitely not terrible if all you need is a nap before hitting the road again, which we did.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple