“Picturesque”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cody
Ponderosa Campground
Ranked #5 of 29 Speciality Lodging in Cody
Joliet, Illinois
“Picturesque”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

There on 7/29/14. Great place. Rented one of the cabins. Cute and rustic and very clean. Had a small refrigerator and microwave and a 13" tv with cable! Staff very friendly. Had to pay cash, $54 for the night. However, the gift shop does accept credit card. Laundry, showers and club house.Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Tenting is roughing it. Must call to reserve cabin.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Rosemary D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
San Marcos, California
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We booked five weeks in advance explaining to the agent that we were traveling with friends who were new to pulling a fifth wheel and promised them we would book only pull thru's for them. Upon arriving the only thing they had for us were two of the smallest back in sights that I have ever seen. No exaggeration - I'm not sure our slides could have even gone out IF we were willing to turn our rigs over to them to park. Had been here before and would never recommend them again or go back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've stayed at this campground, as have my parents, multiple times over the years, and find it clean, comfortable, and somewhat shaded. It's location is just excellent with respect to the rodeo, river rafting, the Buffalo Bill Center, and downtown. This time no camper cabin was available to reserve, so I opted for the $28/night (good rate!) teepee. The reservation process was handled well, and the check-in was just super, with all kinds of advice about things to see, do. I was worried about mosquitoes in the teepees down by the river, so we were in one of the three up front. I wouldn't recommend them: naturally, the top of a teepee is open, so if it does rain, expect the inside to get wet. There is no floor or grass---just hardpacked, uneven, bare dirt with some rocks and lots of Granddaddy Longlegs spiders. Entry requires ducking, and the "flap" to cover the doorway is just a piece of tarp without a means of securing it. Remember that these are close to the main highway (Cody to the East entrance of YNP), so late in July, early in August expect masses of motorcycles, noisy and running literally all night long. I would suggest to Ponderosa the availability of low wooden pallets in the teepees....and consider reserving one down by the river! Ponderosa offers a $7 breakfast starting at 6 a.m., has laundry and shower facilities for those not using full-hookups. the tent area is nicely grassed, and the RV area has both back-in and pull-throughs. It is the preferable place to camp in Cody...but think twice about the front teepees!

Room Tip: Ask to be located either down by the river (tent or teepee) or at the back of the property.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Centerville, Utah
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a clean campground located right next to the highway in Cody, Wyoming. We reserved a camping cabin but when we arrived found that there were no cabins and they put us in their loft which was more expensive but the owners did give us a discount. The bathrooms are very clean but be aware it is right next to the main road through town and there is a lot of traffic noise. This campground is very close to the Buffalo Bill Historic Museum and a couple of fast food places. Cody motels are pricey so this is a good alternative. There is a small playground if you have younger kids.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here one night in July 2014, tent camping. We arrived in early evening, forgot to call (and we were in Yellowstone with poor cell coverage anyway) but we were still accommodated. We were put into a small site next to the road which was relatively quiet considering. Wifi was spotty at best-but the first wifi we'd had in a week so it was better than nothing. Restrooms were clean and the showers were good. Definitely geared more toward RVs but we did ok for just the one night. Friendly staff.

Stayed July 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed here one night in a camper cabin on our way to Yellowstone. The best part about the campground is the location. It was close to the things we wanted to see and do without feeling like we were in the middle of town. The camper cabins are in the back with a nice view out the back window and ours was clean. While I was overall happy with the cabin, there were a few things that I wasn't really impressed with. There is free wi-fi, but I guess the camper cabins are too far away to use it. We drove over and sat in our car by the office and did what we needed to do on our laptops and we got wi-fi just fine. We did that a couple times when we needed wi-fi, but never could get it in the cabin. Also, the cabins are a little far from the bathhouse compared to some other campgrounds we have stayed in. It also seemed like there were a lot of people for the number of bathrooms available. It was always full in there. The other thing that seemed odd to me was that they don't take credit cards. That's obviously their prerogative if they choose not to do that, but then our reservation isn't held by any deposit. They ask you to call (by noon I think) the day you are coming in to confirm that you are still coming, and again after 3pm if you aren't there yet... which is just another thing to have to keep track of. So, I called that morning at 8am to let them know we were coming from Black Hills SD, and the man I talked to made a few comments about how far we had to drive and that we had at least 8 hours. He seemed a little hesitant, which in turn, made me feel like I needed to hurry to make sure I got my reservation. He also tried to give me directions on how to go (which I had already thoroughly researched), and it wasn't the way I was planning to go. I didn't say anything and went my own way and made it in 6.5 hours. Their whole way of doing reservations seemed difficult when it doesn't have to be. Anyway, for all the things I didn't care for about the campground, it served our purpose and it was a clean enough cabin in a good location. I may or may not stay there again if we were to return though.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Duncannon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I was a little worried that the campground was too close to Cody, along a major road and would be noisy, BUT, as soon as the staff told me there was a more secluded area around the back, I was relieved. It was down in the gulch, river running right around the lower campground. We pulled down over the hill and picked our stop, and watched a deer walk right through. The area had access to potable water and electric to share with other campers (great to charge your camera and cell phone). The area filled up quickly with other campers, but it satyed quiet. The next morning another deer was mosying right through the area, 4am, no one else was awake, it stayed for quite a while. I was surprised to see wildlife so close. A little pricy for tent camping, in my opinion, but I would stay there again. The lower camping area had port-a-pots. I did not use the shower facilities or laundry, so I can't tell you if they are acceptable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple