“A truely wonderful vacation!”
Review of Rimrock Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cody
Rimrock Ranch
Ranked #11 of 30 Speciality Lodging in Cody
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Rimrock Ranch is simply awesome. From the people, to the food to the rides in the mountains, it was an experience I will never forget. Dede and Gary were wonderful, making sure their guests had what they wanted/needed. The staff was friendly and amusing. The wranglers put lead us on some simply amazing rides with unforgettable views. The trips for the river rafting and to Yellowstone were amazing.

If you always wanted to try a dude ranch, this is the one to go to. You won't regret it!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Connie B

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Just returned from a family vacation at Rimrock.. All I can say is WOW ! It was the bomb!! The wranglers where always so willing to guide you every step of the way their knowledge was spot on. The food.. GREAT. Dede and Gary could not be more gracious . And the hot tub after a ride..well that does work out any soreness you might have.. This is a do it vacation!! Thanks guys.. Loved it!!

Room Tip: All cabins have a great view and just open the windows and hear the creek!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gloria M
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I can't say enough positive things about this ranch. Our kids loved it, my husband and I loved and we made memoires that will last a lifetime. I have to admit that I was a bit unsure about this type of family vacation since our others almost always included sand and water, but this place is beautiful. We flew into and out of Jackson Hole, WY and can I just say that if you have not seen the Grand Tetons you are missing out. We stayed in Jackson for a day and then drove through Yellowstone to get to Wapiti. It was amazing as well.
The ranch had each day planned out with a set schedule of activities including breakfast, lunch, and dinner (which was always very good). There was never any guess work as to what was going to happen each day and I found myself wanting to do all of it because I was afraid I would miss something. My kids ages are 18, 16, and 12. The 18 year old had as much fun as the 12 year old. They loved the horse riding and to my amazement were quite good and picked it up easily. None of us had any prior horse riding experience and we all managed to stay on our horses all week. I will note that there are spots on the trail rides that are very high, steep and a bit scary. The rides are trail style so its mostly walking or trotting at the most. I think there were several other experienced rider that wanted to run the horses and the ranch hands did their best to make that happen. Go on the morning breakfast ride, it is awesome!
Someone mentioned the cell service being bad, and it is, but this is a family vacation and I liked that my kids did not have their faces stuck in front of a tv or on their cell phones for once. I will add that they did not to miss it either. Bugs were also mentioned, I did not see any bugs. We did see a black bear running across the hills behind the cabins. I got some great pictures, it was very cool!
We went the 3rd week of July and it was cool in the mornings and quite hot and dusty in the afternoons. We wore jeans, tshirts, and a long sleeve snap front shirt that we could shed if we got too hot. A ball cap or some kind of hat is also a necessity. We were fortunate to get a cabin that had a washer and dryer because after the dusty rides it was nice to be able to throw all of our dirty clothes in the machine. Every cabin does not have a washer and dryer though. The cabins do not have air conditioning or fans of any kind. I have to admit that I did not know this before we booked or I probably would not have gone. It ended up being fine, but I would pack a travel fan if you are worried. It gets very cool at night and you don't need air, but once again the afternoons can be warm.
The staff are all very nice and helpful as are the owners. There is no wine or beer on the property, but there is a small store at the bottom of the hill that has beer and the owners have a connection to get you wine. I think everyone in our group had some sort of cocktail each night with dinner. There was always entertainment on the porch after dinner and it gave everyone a chance to relax and get to know each other.
The ranch website has a list of the daily activities you can check out. My family participated in every activity except the Yellowstone park visit. We drove through Yellowstone on our way to the ranch so we decided to go into Cody that day and tour the Buffalo Bill Museum. It is huge and well worth the visit.

Room Tip: Pick the cabin with the washer and dryer. We had a family of 5 and it came in very handy.
7  Thank CMonroe87
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I want to start by saying that my week at Rimrock was a great vacation and had a wonderful time. I would recommend it to others as a dude ranch vacation destination due to the varied activities you get in one trip: horse back riding, rodeo, river rafting, visit to Yellowstone. The staff is very friendly; food is wonderful; and the other vacationers made it a fun week.

However I do want to provide some additional information which I haven’t seen in any other reviews in order to provide a well rounded view of what to expect if you choose Rimrock:
 Cabins have no circulation – there is a floor fan in the room but not enough space to actually use it (at least in the cabin I was in).
 You are in the woods so bugs and mice are possibilities if not guarantees. I killed at least 2 bugs/day in my cabin.
 In the cabin I stayed in there is no where to hang clothes. There is a rod in the bathroom but only one hanger was available. The bedroom dresser drawers were difficult to pull in/out and had nails hanging that I had to watch so as not to snag my clothes on.
 The cabins do not have hair dryers but you can request the use of one in the lodge for the duration (although I have no idea how many are available for guest usage).
 Wireless phone coverage is about non-existent. WiFi is available in the lodge but doesn’t work outside of it.
 Horseback riding – depends on what you’re looking for in your vacation. I really enjoyed the trails that we rode – some just relaxing to enjoy the amazing views and others were challenging taking you to much higher elevations. However you are always riding tip to tail and for more experienced riders it could get tedious if looking for more free style rides. There is also no guest interaction with the horses other than the riding; no grooming or tacking. For new riders, there was no real instruction other than heals down, hold the reins, and trust your horse.

With all that said, I don’t mean this as a negative review but purely informative of details I had not seen in any others when researching which ranch to choose for my vacation. I had a wonderful experience and would recommend Rimrock Ranch.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
12  Thank MichelleMG92
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I cannot say enough positive things about the amazing experience we had at Gary and Dede Fales' Rimrock Ranch this summer. What a tremendous experience it was for all 20 of us (ages 12 to 80 years old) in our 3 generations of family! The horsebackriding for all levels of riders, the beautiful scenery, the outdoors, the comfortable cabins, the great food, the intimate atmosphere, the guests, the fun and games, the rafting and rodeo outings, and most importantly, the very special staff who made our visit so extraordinary. I am not sure how the staff and owners were able to make us feel so much like family, but they did. Very special indeed, and quite rare in today's day in age. And, the weekly format is a classic. My grandparents vacationed at Rimrock multiple times decades ago. It was such a special place back them for our grandparents, and now is such a very special place for my daughters and their cousins in the 4th generation of visitors to Rimrock. Without a doubt, we will be back; and I hope that a 5th generation of our family will be able to enjoy this unique and special place on earth.

5  Thank Cindy_N4416
Reviewed 6 July 2013

The Rimrock Dude Ranch exceeded all of my expectations! The staff, location, food, guests and atmosphere were awesome! First, I would like to say their website does not do them justice. I was a little hesitant before my stay due to the website. However, this couldn't have been a better or more fun vacation. The owners, Dede and Gary Fales, operate a fun and personal ranch that is great for all age groups. The week I was here, kids ranging from 12 to 22 enjoyed the experience and adults from 35 to 80. It doesn't feel like a hotel or a business, but like you are being welcomed into their family on the ranch. The best part of my stay, besides full summer days of fun and adventure, was the genuine kindness of the owners, the cabin girls and the wranglers: Gary and Dede; the cabin girls, Emma, Allainie, Abbey, Macy and Robin; plus the wranglers, Courtney, Jack, and Zane all truly care about your experience and are down-to-earth people. I think 'genuine' is the best word to describe the staff. In terms of the schedule, it is a busy week from Sunday to Saturday. Each day begins with a home-cooked breakfast around 8 am. Most days include a scenic horseback ride through beautiful Wyoming country. When not on the horse, the pool and hot tub were a big hit for me and most the guests. Their are no TVs or radios on the ranch because there is no need. There is a fishing pond, fun hills to hike, a communal lodge and porch where everyone hangs outs, a game hall and good company everywhere you go. Tuesday includes the white water river rafting and famous Cody Night Rodeo. Thursday includes a 6-hour ride to a 9,000 ft meadow on top of scenic mountain. Friday is a full day tour of Yellowstone. It almost feels like there is never a dull or down moment when on the ranch. If you ever feel burned out, you can just do your own thing and spend the day relaxing. The staff and schedule are both flexible to your needs. All the meals are home-cooked and delicious. Overall, I couldn't recommend a better dude ranch or fun experience in WY! A 10 out of a 10. The Rimrock Ranch is a life-changing experience and something that just gets in your blood. I know I will be back! Hope this helps.

4  Thank Jonathon G
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Three of us took the snowmobile trip out of Pahaska conducted by Rimrock Ranch. This is the only snowmobile trip that goes thru the East Gate from Cody. Spectacular all the way around. Great machines and a great guide. I previously took a snowmobile trip thru Yellowstone out of West Yellowstone. The trip with Rimrock Ranch was many times better. They only take 3 snowmobiles in at a time, the guide and three snowmobiles. You can ride single or double, same price of $350. All the trips from West Yellowstone take have one guide taking 10 sleds. Not much fun, Not much to do in West Yellowstone either comapred to Cody. If you want the experience of a lifetime, go with Rimrock Ranch.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends