“Worth the visit.”

Buffalo Bill Center of the West
Ranked #1 of 60 things to do in Cody
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hours: Mar 1 – Apr 30: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily May 1 – Sep 15: 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily Sep 16 – Oct 31: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily Nov 1 – 30: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily Dec 1 – Feb 28: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Thursday – Sunday Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s days Since 1927, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West has been committed to the greatness and growth of the American West, keeping western experiences alive. The Center of the West, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, weaves the varied threads of the western experience-history and myth, art and Native culture, firearms, and the nature and science of Yellowstone-into the rich panorama that is the American West. The Center of the West has been honored with numerous awards, including TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence for four years running.
Reviewed 6 January 2014

After visiting Jackson Hole and Yellowstone on our round the country trip, we exited Yellowstone via the east gate and drove into Cody, Wy. Cody is a beautiful western city and we decided to spend the night there. While driving around town we happened upon the Buffalo Bill Center of the West. We decided to visit and boy are we glad we did. We spent two days in Cody and could have spent two more. The gun museum was my favorite but enjoyed all five of the museums. Highly recommend anyone visiting the area pay a visit. You will not regret it.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This place was so interesting. I would love to go back another day. There is a gun museum in here that will make any gun lover drool. The Native American museum was interesting, but I wish it had
been larger. There are some really old things in these museums. If your are a history buff...you will love this. You will need time. Your ticket in is good for two days.

1  Thank jen s
Reviewed 24 December 2013

After perusing some of the reviews below, I'm not entirely sure I have a great deal to add:

--huge museum that truly takes two days to really see
--fantastic exhibits
--very educational

I came through Cody on a two-week motorcycle tour of the west (in 2010, not 2013 as listed) and count my stop in the BBCOTW as one of the highlights of the trip.

1  Thank Tradr62
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This is an amazing facility! I showed up on a Sunday, and only had the single day to see the place. I understand why they sell consecutive day passes. I was in the museum from shortly after they opened until it was almost closed. I managed to see everything, although some not as thoroughly as others. The 5 separate areas are set up so uniquely. You set your pace. There are many items that are priceless relics. They have the largest firearms museum on the planet. They currently have a firearms exhibit on lone from The Smithsonian. I can only say that anybody coming through this region should put this on their must see list.

3  Thank Hanspeter V
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I had been told about this by several people and was surprised to find this in a small town like Cody even though it makes a great deal of sense historically--my surprise was the economic viability of such a structure and exhibits. However, it was well worth the time and entrance fee to visit. I saw all of the exhibits, displays, (including the outdoor garden areas that had some colorful plants and interesting statues) in the course of about 5 hours total. I suppose you could spend two days there if you read everything on every exhibit and lingered at every display, but you can meander past everything and linger at items of interest to you and be very satisfied with the visit in 4 or 5 hours.