“Needs work”
Review of Bill Cody Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cody
Bill Cody Ranch
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Cody
Reviewed 22 June 2009

This is the first time I have written a review but I use TripAdvisor all the time. My daughter and I just completed a 5000 mile trip cross country to bring her car back from the east coast after graduation. My daughter is an accomplished horsewoman so we tried to do some fun "horsey" things along the way. We decided to stay two nights in Cody so we could do a four hour ride. THe ride was great. The food was great. The lodging left a lot to be desired. First, our room looked as if we might have been the first residents since opening the ranch for the summer. There was a coat of thick dust on the chandelier and the tables. We had no heat and it was getting cold (we woke to 5 inches of snow on June 7!!!) so they brought us an electric heater and promised to fix the breaker the next day. We asked FOUR different people about fixing the problem and we could tell that, each time, we were being ignored. Finally, we told the manager (maybe the owner???) and he fixed it. They certainly don't have the "Ritz Carlton" attitude --- you own the problem until it is fixed. The biggest complaint I had, however, was the bedding...sheets that were so worn you could see through them and NO MATTRESS PAD!!! I was appalled. I have camped my entire life so I am no wimp but I really expect that, if I am paying hotel rates (in this economy, we stayed in 4 star resorts in DC using Priceline for less than we paid here...I am NOT kidding) I expect a mattress pad and sheets that are substantial. This is about good sanitary practice.
I do want to mention that the food was CHEAP and good. Even the wine was nice. I was thrilled to see a Ferrari Cerrano Zin one evening and a less expensive but tasty Seven Deadly Zins. Better than I expected. While I liked some parts of this experience, I would NOT return or recommend the hotel without seeing some significant changes in the lodging. The fact that there is no internet, TV or Phones in the room was another downside. We had to drive a distance to even use our cell phones.....

• Stayed: June 2009
4  Thank travelmavenPhoenix

Reviewed 17 April 2009

Beautifully placed, and ideally located for visiting Yellowstone, this dude ranch offers really comfortable, affordable accommodation with friendly staff and good food. The horse ride we went on was increadible too. It's so quiet and peaceful, you may never want to leave. We loved Yellowstone and are returning next year, and we will of course be staying at this ranch.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2008

11 bikes and 15 riders, including singles and couples in all budget ranges. Some rode out from N.Y., some trailered, some did fly 'n ride. Stayed Sept. 1-4 , went to Jackson for 3 days and then returned to the ranch for a last night.
This place was great! The Bill Cody really delivered for us on all levels. The location was 1/2 hour to Yellowstone or Cody - with scenic rides either way and lots of photo ops ( and gas) Have a drink at the Irma ( primo prime rib), go to the museum, get a reasonable, sit down, deli style lunch at Peters Cafe and Bakery across the street. (BIG $1 cookies - yum) Small HD dealership in town and an after-market bike shop around the corner from the Irma.
Bill Cody staff and owners were hospitable and accomodating ... they let us store the 3 cars/trailers until our return. Weather was unusually cold and wet, but the cabins were clean, roomy ( boots, leathers, raingear ...) and cozy warm. We had the Bill Cody cabins and the Creekside Cabins. No complaints from anyone.
Great little main lodge and FP. Very conveniant on-site restaurant. Food was tasty, plentifull and varied enough for the picky eaters. Very nice to come in from a long day and not have to go out again ( after dark) to eat. The last time we were out here we stayed at the Irma ( that was kinda cool and conveniant, too) but this time we wanted rustic. We got that, along with the kind of comfort and personnal service that you can't easily find.
Loved the tame/wild turkey! Couldn't say about the horses ... didn't even look. I would have to say that any complaints that anyone might voice would be minor, at best. I'm still telling people about the place.
Go. Stay. You'll like it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank Pat326
Reviewed 12 September 2008

Between the east entrance of Yellowstone N.P. and the Cody, WY town you can find a ranch with few cottages clean and comfortable and a lot of horses ready to ride along beautiful scenaries. On saturdays you can have a "singing dinner" country style, and all employers are nice with your requests.
Tennis table, garden park and a good american breakfast complete your full immersion in relax, trees and horses. Beware at younger wranglers: too young and not very sociable.
A place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank cvaraldi
Reviewed 9 September 2008

We only got to stay at Bill Cody for 1 night. I wish we could have stayed longer. We didn't arrive until 11:00 pm because of a traffic jam caused by bison in Yellowstone. By the time we arrived we were starving and the restaurant was closed. The guy that checked us in went into the kitchen and when he came back out told us they could fix us something. They gave us macaroni & cheese, chips and yogurt and didn't even charge us. That was very nice of them to go out of their way like that.
The cabin was very nice and the beds were comfortable. The location was great and the scenery beautiful. We will definitely go back again if we are ever in the area.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Lesa D
Reviewed 20 August 2008

We booked here as soon as we had flights confirmed. My Husband and I stayed here nearly 15yrs ago and wanted to go back with the children. It hadn't really changed much in that time (I mean this in a good way ). The management was different but the overall set up was the same. The staff were quite young on the whole but very friendly and helpful if needed.

We stayed for 3 days, 2 of which we on the all inclusive (which includes all meals and a 4 hr ride). Meals would have been on the more expensive side if not included and there is not a lot of nearby places you could go to instead. The quality of the food was good though, I would recommend the BBQ on Saturday!

The accomodation was in cabins, mostly all were joined to a neighbouring cabin so you can hear the noise of others sometimes. Mostly this wasn't a problem as there are no TV's in the room and no phones there is not much else to do but sleep!
My youngest Daughter enjoyed it so much she kept trying to get us to go back!! Our children (ages 13 and 10) would definitely recommend it but it is not cheap even with an excellent exhange rate!

I would say if horseriding in a beautiful location is your main aim then this could be the place for you, the scenery is stunning.

Just one tip bring insect repellent though we all got some quality bites!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank DCull
Reviewed 16 August 2008

what a great time we had (my wife and i)the staff was the best-the food was great-and the wranglers were the best.i didn't want to leave and my wife cried when she told the staff goodby.rooms were very nice as well. we met alot of new friends both on the ranch and those that were staying as we were. 5 stars
oh- the horses were also very very good.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple