“Good, but off their game in the low season”
Review of Bill Cody Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cody
Bill Cody Ranch
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Cody
Reviewed 29 September 2009

This is my third stay at the Bill Cody Ranch over the course of many years, but my first during the "low season". Proximity to Yellowstone is great, rooms were clean, food was excellent. However, it seems that the staff was just going through the motions as it was the end of the season. There were no horseback rides for the first two days of our stay because, we were told, there were no wranglers. All cookouts were cancelled. I wish that we had received the same level of service provided during the regular season.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank e21843

Reviewed 8 September 2009

Our family stayed at the ranch for two nights in early September. On our way there from Yellowstone, we passed many of the other ranches that I had researched and Bill Cody is by far the best location. It is nestled in this red-rock canyon with lots of trees and a strem running through the property. The cabins are cozy and rustic, but still comfortable (carpeted, clean new bathrooms with bath sheet size towels, blow dryers, mini fridge, etc. Each on has it's own porch with chairs for relaxing out in the clean air. We went on a 2-hr. trailride which was through spectacular scenery! My daughter wanted to ride more so the staff was very flexible and planned a 1-hr. ride for us the next morning before we checked out. On Wednesdays and Saturdays they have a western cookout and the food was really good...homemade ribs, chicken, coleslaw, beans, cornbread and chocolate chip cookies for dessert!! There is a game room for the kids with air hockey, fooseball and ping-pong...as well as some saw-horses made to look like steer and ropes for the kids to practice roping. I would highly recommend this place!!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I'm 16 and my family recently took a trip out west and stayed at Bill Cody Ranch for 4 nights. As we pulled up to the ranch, it was very charming and looked fun. The cabins are deceiving from the outside... on the inside they are clean and in our cabin, the bathroom was newly rennovated. It is very quiet at night and the only sound you hear is the river peacfully running by. There is free high speed internet in the main lodge which is where they also serve breakfast & lunch (which unlike the internet is an extra cost). However, our first afternoon there, the power was out for about 3 hours, so we just took a trip into Cody, Wyoming which is only a 20-30 minute drive. All the staff were helpful about recommending restaurants and activities to do in Cody, Wyoming. My family (Me, my Mom, Dad, and two younger brothers) also particpated in one of their 4 hour horseback rides. It was very personal and our wrangler Dennis was amazing. All the horses were very patient and easy to ride which was important to my family because we were all beginner riders. I hope to return to the west sometime soon, and I will defintely be staying at Bill Cody Ranch again! You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2009

If you like a western experience, this is the place to go. Easy to book, very helpful over the phone. It was the only place we could find that would arrange a pack trip for 2 for a very reasonable price.

The cabin we had was lovely. Clean, cozy, spacious and had everything we needed. The food in the restaurant was basic but tasty, good value.

We did a two day pack trip. The wranglers Dion and Trinity were fabulous. Great location for camping, the food was amazing cooked on a camp fire and we even got to see two grizzly bears.

Overally I would definitely recommend it. The location is ideal for touring Cody and Yellowstone park. We would go back.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2009

This is the first time I have written a review but I use TripAdvisor all the time. My daughter and I just completed a 5000 mile trip cross country to bring her car back from the east coast after graduation. My daughter is an accomplished horsewoman so we tried to do some fun "horsey" things along the way. We decided to stay two nights in Cody so we could do a four hour ride. THe ride was great. The food was great. The lodging left a lot to be desired. First, our room looked as if we might have been the first residents since opening the ranch for the summer. There was a coat of thick dust on the chandelier and the tables. We had no heat and it was getting cold (we woke to 5 inches of snow on June 7!!!) so they brought us an electric heater and promised to fix the breaker the next day. We asked FOUR different people about fixing the problem and we could tell that, each time, we were being ignored. Finally, we told the manager (maybe the owner???) and he fixed it. They certainly don't have the "Ritz Carlton" attitude --- you own the problem until it is fixed. The biggest complaint I had, however, was the bedding...sheets that were so worn you could see through them and NO MATTRESS PAD!!! I was appalled. I have camped my entire life so I am no wimp but I really expect that, if I am paying hotel rates (in this economy, we stayed in 4 star resorts in DC using Priceline for less than we paid here...I am NOT kidding) I expect a mattress pad and sheets that are substantial. This is about good sanitary practice.
I do want to mention that the food was CHEAP and good. Even the wine was nice. I was thrilled to see a Ferrari Cerrano Zin one evening and a less expensive but tasty Seven Deadly Zins. Better than I expected. While I liked some parts of this experience, I would NOT return or recommend the hotel without seeing some significant changes in the lodging. The fact that there is no internet, TV or Phones in the room was another downside. We had to drive a distance to even use our cell phones.....

• Stayed: June 2009
4  Thank travelmavenPhoenix
Reviewed 17 April 2009

Beautifully placed, and ideally located for visiting Yellowstone, this dude ranch offers really comfortable, affordable accommodation with friendly staff and good food. The horse ride we went on was increadible too. It's so quiet and peaceful, you may never want to leave. We loved Yellowstone and are returning next year, and we will of course be staying at this ranch.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2008

11 bikes and 15 riders, including singles and couples in all budget ranges. Some rode out from N.Y., some trailered, some did fly 'n ride. Stayed Sept. 1-4 , went to Jackson for 3 days and then returned to the ranch for a last night.
This place was great! The Bill Cody really delivered for us on all levels. The location was 1/2 hour to Yellowstone or Cody - with scenic rides either way and lots of photo ops ( and gas) Have a drink at the Irma ( primo prime rib), go to the museum, get a reasonable, sit down, deli style lunch at Peters Cafe and Bakery across the street. (BIG $1 cookies - yum) Small HD dealership in town and an after-market bike shop around the corner from the Irma.
Bill Cody staff and owners were hospitable and accomodating ... they let us store the 3 cars/trailers until our return. Weather was unusually cold and wet, but the cabins were clean, roomy ( boots, leathers, raingear ...) and cozy warm. We had the Bill Cody cabins and the Creekside Cabins. No complaints from anyone.
Great little main lodge and FP. Very conveniant on-site restaurant. Food was tasty, plentifull and varied enough for the picky eaters. Very nice to come in from a long day and not have to go out again ( after dark) to eat. The last time we were out here we stayed at the Irma ( that was kinda cool and conveniant, too) but this time we wanted rustic. We got that, along with the kind of comfort and personnal service that you can't easily find.
Loved the tame/wild turkey! Couldn't say about the horses ... didn't even look. I would have to say that any complaints that anyone might voice would be minor, at best. I'm still telling people about the place.
Go. Stay. You'll like it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Pat326