“Great!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 16 Cody B&B and Inns
Woodbury, Minnesota
“Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Absolutely first rate. Nice people and a wonderful accommodations. Has a very restful night and found that for a small place they seem to go out of their way to be of service. I felt it was a great value.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

The "Motel 6 with breakfast" by other reviewer sums it up. There really are a dearth of good accommodations in Cody, and the description had a lot of appeal - old church, walking distance to town. We made reservations very late, and only 1 room (of the 3) left. That's the one with the "private bath" across the hall. What Barbara FORGOT TO MENTION is that the room & bath are next to the kitchen and adjacent to another room - so there's NO PRIVACY, and you're getting up at 7AM regardless since they are clattering in the kitchen. The room is tiny & cluttered. No room to unpack anything. One small bar of soap & nothing else. Not especially clean - read the "Motel 6" review. The a/c was especially annoying - blew directly on our heads while in bed.

I dunno what other folks had for breakfast but ours subpar compared to all other b&b's we stayed in this trip. No real effort to make it special.

Now to the major issue - a total lack of understanding & care by innkeepeers. We booked for two nights, but previous night (in Idaho- Blue Heron - definitely stay there!) we ate outside & the next day I had a SEVERE allergy attack - to the point where I couldn't breathe. So we had to go home quickly - or check into hospital in Cody. Barbara refused to refund, even though she had no one booked for the night. If she had lost a customer we would have gladly paid, but this was not the case. Totally insensitive - do yourself a favor & stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a good room there.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Well I travel a lot and know when accommodations are questionable. This place is in much need of repair. The owners are very nice people. They were engaging and informative, however their friendliness does not make up for the lack of comfort. This is a B&B and one would expect a reasonable breakfast with a clean and comfortable bed. Breakfast was just okay. They put effort into the breakfast, that is all I will say. It is not in me to write bad reviews but I want people to avoid wasting money and having a bad experience when out of town or on vacation.

The bed was the worst my wife and I ever slept in. The pillows were beyond belief, did not know that pillows were made that cheap. The first night the air conditioner froze and I had to turn off to defrost for 3 hours. After that we kept the air off all day so we could be sure to have air condition at night when we slept. Because of the poor air condition, we used the ceiling fan above bed. The fan is not secured well and wobbles when moving. The wobble was bad enough that we decided to go without to avoid an accident with fan falling. Then I went to the windows. The windows were very dirty like not washed ever. One window did not have a screen and the other did so i did not want to risk bugs flying in to gain cross ventilation.

On the third day i woke up with my back all red and blotchy. I thought bed bugs right away but the marks did not seem to match that of internet examples of bites. My wife slept with a shirt on and she was not effected so I concluded that it was just poor cleanliness of bedding that irritated my skin.

The more I conversed with the owners they explained the default business they get when the local hotels are full and in this small town there are few options. It is like a guaranteed income for them. They equally are ridged about cancellation policy, so only confirm if you are one that is used to accepting poor to mediocre accommodations at best. In 24 years of traveling and staying in about 3200 hotel rooms, this place falls into the top 5 worst places I ever stayed.

Again, the owners are nice but that is not the primary interest we have when renting a place to stay. If the owners take value in reviews, i suggest they clean the room thoroughly, buy pillows (even the cheapest pillows at Walmart are better), A new cheap mattress (current one is horribly uncomfortable), new sheets, change towels at least every two days (never offered change of towels in three days), ask how things are on daily basis so concerns can be addressed.
At the time of paying they did not even ask if everything was okay.
Another point that got old as the days went by; each and every day they told us of unappreciative guests that complained and how we did not. This was like a subtle hint to not complain.
Overall I would not recommend this place to anyone wanting a clean and comfortable bed/room with any privacy. I had two bedrooms for 4 of us (two adults and two kids). 3 nights cost more than 750.00. We felt taken advantage of big time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank worldtravelpa
Louisville, KY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

This has been our low point for accommodations on our cross-country trip. Perhaps we were due for a dud after several outstanding B&B’s and 1 frontier cabin over the past 10 days (all reviewed elsewhere on TA).

We spent 2 nights in Rachel’s Room. The room itself is decent size, certainly large enough. The layout is quirky. You enter from the hallway into the bath and pass through a second door into the sleeping area - a bit awkward if engaged in the bathroom while another person desires to come or go from the room.

Furnishings and decor of the room give great attention to a girly theme (OK, it is Rachel’s Room) with little thought to functionality. There was a cedar chest whose top was consumed by a doll & other items and an antique washstand cupboard whose horizontal space was also taken. There is a dearth of tabletop space and hooks for hanging things for guest use. The bath area likewise has virtually no counter or other horizontal space.

In the sleeping area I took the liberty to place some of these items on the floor to obtain space. In doing so I discovered some serious dust.

The sleeping area bed and furniture configuration would be awkward under ideal conditions. Envision lying in a queen bed and looking to your right and seeing a wall 2 feet away and halfway up the wall a window unit air conditioner. Now, look to your left and about 2 feet away you will find the TV sitting on an old desk behind fan fold closet doors. If you like sleeping with AC blowing directly on you and enjoy watching TV from bed with your head turned 90 degrees left, this is your kind of place. Otherwise, like me, you will be disappointed.

Like I said earlier, this would be under ideal conditions. Unfortunately when we turned on the AC, it was making loud annoying clang-clang-clang when the compressor ran. After 10 minutes, I sought the owner’s help. Alas, nothing could be done. We put up with the clang until we were somewhat cooled off and then turned the unit off for the night.
The next day the owner swapped out the AC so the second night we had a relatively quiet AC.

The only room amenity was one small bar of soap. There was not even a spare roll of toilet paper – we had to request one. The bedding was sub-par, especially the mattress and pillows. We killed 2 spiders in the room.

The breakfast each morning was varied and was pretty good, but again below par of most B&B’s we have visited.

The innkeepers, Robert & Barbara, were friendly but some of their advice was puzzling. For example, for our trek into Yellowstone Robert advised us to gas up at Cook City just before entering the park. What he did not tell us was that prices were 50-60 cents more per gallon than in Cody. My advice is to gas up in Cody.

Alas, I was never asked, even when I paid, how I liked our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank UKgrandej
Liberty Twp, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on our way to Yellowstone. We were a family of 3 and stayed in a room with a queen bed and our daughter slept on a camping mattress that was provided by the innkeepers. The neighborhood was quiet and it's an easy walk to the downtown area so you wouldn't need to mess with parking downtown. Breakfast was good and on time - especially the frittata. The innkeepers were delightful and knowledgeable about the area. We would stay here again when in the area!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cynthia M
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

My wife and I stated here and felt very welcome as we arrived to cookies waiting for us and a very comfortable bed. Our morning breakfasts were wonderfully home made I always had seconds. The wonderful couple that host are very friendly and knowledgeable. I felt like I was just staying with friends right from the start. I would recommend for anyone looking for a comfortable friendly place that is just blocks from the main street of the city of Cody, WY. or coming to see Yellowstone as we were. Would love to come visit again in the winter.

Thanks to Barb And Bob we had a great time.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jdwallen
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

We stopped in to Cody for a one night stay on our way to Yellowstone National Park. When our GPS noted that we had arrived, we looked around to see where Angels' Keep was located. There was no sign, but we determined because of the Church like building, we were indeed at the right place. The location is in a quiet neighborhood, but very close to the main street in Cody where all the shops and restaurants are located.

We were one of three couples who had planned our adventure and after and 8 hour drive, we were ready to get settled. We were greeted by a very large dog, who didn't seem to want us there!! The innkeeper quickly came to our rescue and assured us that he was fine, which he was. We drew straws as to which couple would get which room, and of course, as luck would have it we got the smaller room, with a full bath across the hall. The other two rooms are large and have insuite baths. Our room was tiny! So much so, that we had to leave one of our suitcases outside our room. However, the bed was so comfortable and we had a wonderful night sleep.

Our hosts made us very, very comfortable and offered lots of ideas as to how to spend our eveing, as we relaxed with a cocktail in the large living area munching on fresh baked cookies. Needing to stretch our legs, we walked to down town (short walk) and enjoyed a great night exploring and seeing real cowboys (a special treat for Easterners).

Our breakfast was absolutely wonderful. The innkeepers are friendly and knowlegable and we felt we were hanging out with friends. Great experience!

Room Tip: Staying at this B&B will be a new experience for you. Give it a try and you won't be dissap...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends