“Don't bother unless you like poor slow service and mediocre food.”

Zapata's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 89 Restaurants in Cody
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I've scouted out Mexican food from Cozumel to Northern Michigan and I was expecting better in Cowboy country than what I received. Service is not defined as quality of the food, which is good, because at this restaurant it would have qualified this place with a 0. The waiter took forever to notice us ( and it was a slow afternoon) and the forgot the guacamole I'd ordered to go with the chips. My meal came with rice (good) and beans ( if I didn't know better I'd swear they came straight from the can). Portions were appropriate for a child. Three forkful and the rice gone. The only good thing were the
strips of steak that came with the meal. The strips were thick and very tasty. The steak did not make up for the service or the quality of the rest of the meal.

sunnyskyCodyWy, Owner at Zapata's Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank You for your input and you are right when you said you don' know better cause you don't. All my dishes are prepared fresh from scratch every day. If your sevice was a bit slow I am sorry but I do have several new servers that are still in training. My building is far from run down. It is clean with brand new carpet and is kept up very well. So there is really no need for you to act like a fool so I guess we are both glad you wont be back

There are newer reviews for Zapata's Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Got into town and we were going to have steak. We saw this place and decided to change our plans. The food is good. The salsa is very good.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

My older son wanted Mexican food the minute he saw this restaurant. We read the Trip Advisor reviews, and decided to take a chance. It was definitely worth the trip. The carnitas were excellent, and the chips and salsa were yummy. We got the "bucket of beers," which was a great bargain at $10 for 5 beers. Our server was good, although a little quick to pick up our plates. (I had just put my last bite of carnitas into my mouth when we scooped up my plate.) In the end, our party of 5 left with happy tummies, and all of us would recommend a stop at Zapata's.

sunnyskyCodyWy, Owner at Zapata's Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Thank You for taking to time to let me know how much you enjoyed your visit to Zapata's. Me and my staff (even if most of them are still in training) try very hard to make sure everyone is happy when they leave Zapata's. I am not only the owner I am the cook and I cook everything from sctch every morning. My salsa and chips are made fresh all day long. Again Thank You and hope to see you again sometime.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We needed something to eat in between river rafting and horseback riding so we decided on Zapata's. We were busy making the arrangements for horseback riding when we first arrived so this delayed our ordering. Our waiter however, seemed to understand and when we said we needed to leave in less than an hour he made this happen. The food was good and hit the spot. We made it to our destination on time with full stomachs thanks to Zapata's!

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We spend the night in Cody and made a couple of laps around the downtown area looking in the stores and trying to decide where to eat. Big plus: No Smoking! Chips and salsa were fresh and the salsa had good flavor and was not horribly hot. The chile verde was excellent...and pretty spicy. Mexican corn (roasted corn with peppers and onions) was very good and not something I was familiar with. The ever-present beans had whole beans and flavor instead of the usual brown mash. Taco salad was a good portion and ingredients were fresh. Service was slow. We had to ask for refills on beverages and chips and salsa. Server was unwilling / unable to make recommendations or suggestions about the menu.

sunnyskyCodyWy, Owner at Zapata's Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Thank you so much for your input. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your food at Zapata's. But I am sorry about your server. I am not sure who waited on you but I will be speaking to each and everyone of them about this. I expect all my servers to be on top of their game and to be as helpful as possible. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Again so glad you did enjoy the food.