“Great location; old and tired accomodations” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Absaroka Mountain Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cody
Absaroka Mountain Lodge
Ranked #13 of 28 Speciality Lodging in Cody
Barnegat, New Jersey
“Great location; old and tired accomodations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

These "cabins" are not actually cabins, they are attached units. They have a few singles but that is not clear on their website. Beautiful location...nestled between some spectacular mountains. While I enjoy "rustic" accomodations, that does not mean I want to sleep on sheets that were so worn they had holes in them and a bed that had seen better years - it was old, creaky and sagged in the middle. The "coverlet" on the bed was just as old and tired as the linens, pulled and frayed. Bathroom was decent, however their daily housekeeping consisted of pulling up our covers on the bed and nothing more. I would not stay here again. I felt uncomfortable sleeping in the bed, in fact the second night I layed a fleece throw blanket we had bought from Yellowstone underneath me!.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank michelle795

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Easton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

Went with 4 adults and 1 teen, and had a perfect stay!
The setting is beautiful! The cabins relaxing, and with no TV or cell service...a real vacation!
Everyone was accommodating. Restaurant was nice for 1st night & breakfast before we had time to shop for food.
We went to Yellowstone 3 days and Cody 1 day, and the trips were fine.
We did the dinner horse ride, which was unforgettable. The views were perfect, the horses well mannered, the guide extremely pleasant! And dinner, was so much fun out over the fire, and so delicious, We would have been happy to do it every night!
Go, Enjoy, relax!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank travelingtime2011
Brooklyn
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

We arrived on Friday evening, Aug. 5, for what was supposed to be a five night stay. We parked our car in the space where we were told to. On Saturday morning, we were awakened by a pound on the door at 7:30 a.m. It was a wrangler who said we had to move our car so he could get his trailer through. I was undressed so I gave him the keys to move it. I then dressed and went to the front office to complain and the owner didn't want to hear anything. He said, "I have a business to run." I did emphasize that I parked just where I was told the evening before. The next day (Sunday), the people in the adjacent cabin were awakened at 6:30 a.m. for the same reason -- the wrangler needed to get his horse trailer through. We heard it all and the man was cursing the wrangler out. If you park where you are told, you shouldn't have to move your car at an ungodly hour int he morning. The attitude of the owner was despicable. On top of this, I would not recommend this place for other reasons: (1) If you have an adjacent cabin, you can hear everything that goes on there as there are paper-thin walls. (2) The lighting in our cabin was poor - could hardly see at night. (3) No screens on windows near the beds so we couldn't open them up for a cross-breeze. (4) Hard to locate at night in pitch dark road. We stayed here only because by the time we decided to see Yellowstone, all the places inside the park were booked. After touring the park we had to drive extra miles to leave the park and come back here. If you are thinking of going to Yellowstone, call the concessionaire like eight months to a year to reserve inside the park. We hated this place so much we left a day early and forfeited our deposit.

Room Tip: Do not come here. You will be sorry.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank TravelLawyerFamily
Coulterville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

Wonderful place to stay for some peace and quit. Beautiful setting.The people where very nice. It was a very family friendly place with activiities for the family. There are no tv's or phones in the room and your cell phone will not work there, but that is a good thing. It was so relaxing, there is a stream running right outside the cabins that you can hear in your cabin! The cabins are rustic, nothing fancy, but have the a microwave and fridge!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LauraS1966
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

We fell in love with the place! The mountains and valleys were beautiful! The Boyds were very friendly and the wranglers were personable and just as friendly. My girls fell in love with Jessi, she was great with them. The girls also befriended Baily one of the little boys there...it was too cute!
The horseback ride we had was magnificent! We went up hills, through creeks and I'll admit the girls were a bit scared at some points, but Jessi was there to keep them talking and making sure everyone was doing well!
The kids rodeo was a treat for all as was the barbeque and campfire.
Some people complained about the bugs or critters or doors not shutting quite right...you know what? You're in the wilderness out there...this isn't a Ritz Carlton, this is a western lodge out in the beautiful wilderness! I'll take the cabin decor at Absaroka any day over a chain hotel.
My kids and I fell in love with the place. When they get older, they would love to work there during the summer season. Everyone at Absaroka, from the Boyds, to Austin, to Jessi and others were truly fine hosts. We spent 2 weeks out in the National Parks and our stay at the Absaroka was easily one of the highlights of the trip. We'll be back!
The Rubens Family

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SIRDC
Kenosha
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

The property this lodge sits on is beautiful! We wanted to do some fishing, but the creek was raging due to all the snow runoff (lots of snow this past winter), but it made for beautiful music to fall asleep to. Location is good..not a bad trip to the east entrance of Yellowstone, or to Cody (which is a wonderful city - make sure you catch the nightly rodeo there). The lodge held a BBQ/cookout on Wed night and also had a "mini rodeo" for the kids. Was a great time. They also had a nightly campfire til 10pm and we took advantage of that one night also. The wranglers & other staff were quite friendly. Only ate once in the lodge...breakfast...tasty, but expensive. No coffee maker in the cabin...so bring coffee singles and coffee cups to heat water in the microwave. Otherwise you have to walk to the lodge and pay $1 for a to-go cup of so/so coffee. (I think that should just be free to customers, like all of the hotels we stayed at during our two week trip.) The cabin was small. No "living" space...just enough room for beds & a little table or bench. The cabin was clean but very buggy....found lots of critters. i.e..spiders, ticks, flies. The outside doors did not fit the doorframes very well, so we had lots of bugs which really bothered my kids. Many a night I was awoken by one of my kids to chase a moth or kill a spider. The sheets on the beds were not laundered to my liking, but it is a cabin, after all. I wished we had been able to go horseback riding, but due to local laws, my 6 year old would not be able to ride double with me & I did not trust her on a horse by herself on mountain cliffs. All in all, it was a pleasant place and sort of what I expected.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jjaannee66
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

We stayed at the lodge for 3 nights because all the cabins inside Yellowstone were booked. Stay was comfortable, relaxing with friendly service. Cabin amenities are a little worn but very clean. Restaurant food choices were limited so we opted to bring in our own dinner and wine on the last nite. Our cabin had a small fridge and microwave.
Although the lodge was good value and comfortable, the daily drive to and from Yellowstone was a little tiring. It's almost an hour's drive to some of the key sights in the park.

Room Tip: Cabins next to the brook is quite noisy - so you may consider the cabins across from the brook. You...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple