“A Bit Misleading!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cody
Absaroka Mountain Lodge
Ranked #12 of 28 Speciality Lodging in Cody
Gatlinburg, Tennessee
“A Bit Misleading!!”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I called the lodge back in the winter when the lodge for closed for the season. A man whom I assumed was the owner told me it was closed and they were just doing the usual repairs getting ready for the upcoming spring and season. Very nice person on the phone. I specifically asked him about fishing and since we were not able to pack fishing poles on the airplane, he told me that all I needed was a license and he would have some poles we could use. My wife was sitting right beside me when I was speaking with him on the phone. Before checking in we drove past the lodge about 40 minutes into the town of Cody and spent about 50 dollars for our license. It was a special trip just for the licenses. Arrived at the lodge office where we registered and paid for the next days horseback ride. I asked the lady at the office, again I assume the owners wife, about the conversation I had with the gentleman about the fishing poles, she just sort of looked at us like there was no way we would have been told that, but we were. They had no poles for us to borrow. Anyway, started off with a WASTED $50, disappointed kids and that pretty much had my wife boiling, the cabin we had rented looked like it as by itself in the picture but there was actually another cabin wall to wall, you could not see the cabin that backed up to it in the pictures. The walls were literally paper thin. Had to listen to another couple cuss and yak until they went to sleep. Just what you need with kids. There was enough hot water for about one person to take a really quick shower so forget that there were three others in the room as well. lol. Horseback ride is basically up one side of a holllow and down the other, its the same scenery in and out. Breakfast eggs made wife sick to look at they were so runny. The horse guide was nice is about all I can say good about this place.. Stay clear, it was about the worst place we stayed on our 18 day vacation out west.

Room Tip: Good Luck!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank outwestguy

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 July 2013

My son and I loved this place. Kerry and Theresa treated us like family. Thier staff was friendly and great. If u like wildlife , the deer come right into camp and we saw a black bear 20 minutes up the road. I recommend a horseback riding trip. Our wrangler Ashley took us up into the mountias of Shoshone National Forest. What views , what a ride. My son Richard is still talking about it. The rooms are clean and the food is great. I suggest the rib eye. DELICIOUS !!!! See u next time Absakora Mountian Lodge. Thanks again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Rennes, France
Reviewed 1 September 2012

My family and I didn't like this place at all. The cabin was tiny, not clean, and seemed really old (not heated, so we got pretty cold during the night). The cleaning lady barely pulled the covers up when she came in. The walls of the cabins and restaurant were covered with dead animals, which makes the whole place sort of creepy (sleeping with a black bear staring at you is a bit uncomfortable on the first night). The restaurant was not good at all, one of the worst we went to during our trip, and yet it was really expensive (something like 15-17$ for a plate of microwaved spaghetti with meatballs). The hosts weren't amiable, and very greedy (made you pay 1$ for every cup of coffee and refill). The only thing that we enjoyed there was the horseback ride, which went really well. Plus, this place is really far from the Yellowstone National park (approximately 1 hour, only to get to the south part of the park). Therefore, if you can, skip this lodge, it is way too expensive for what it actually offers.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul M
Rome, Georgia
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We spent 1 night here and it was wonderful. We actually stayed in June 2011 but that date was not available to pick in order to write the review. It's a great place to stay just outside of the East Yellowstone entrance. The Cabin was very clean. We did a horseback ride in the evening with a cookout. The horseback ride was very nice we got to cross a river and see a lot of beautiful mountains. After the ride our guide cooked steaks for us on an open fire. It was a great experience. Later on that night the lodge built a fire and everyone staying in the cabins came out and roasted marshmallows and talked. The next morning we had a delicious breakfast. Probably one of the best we had all week long. The staff was so friendly. We loved our stay and can not wait to come back!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa S
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We booked and paid in full almost 2 months in advance for a 5 night stay. Due to unforeseen circumstances we had to cut 1 night. Even with a better than 2 week advance notice they would not and did not credit or refund our last night. Not good PR for return business. There are more reasonable lodges with better accommodations. We were very disappointed after all the hype and sweet talk to get our money.
Capt. G. Rogers
Ft. Lauderdale Florida

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gary R
Florida City, Florida
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Family of 5, ready to spend vacation $$$ and ended up just using it as a place to sleep for 2 nights. Their greed lost them my $$$ and their reputation. Cabins are small. Rustic doesn't quite say how bad it really is. With updated accommodations and a new staff and new attitude, it could maybe be a place to spend $50.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Damiansville, IL
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I spent 3 days at Absaroka Lodge in June along with my husband and a friend of ours. We were there during a perfect time of the year as Yellowstone and the surrounding areas were just starting to get busy but we had the lodge pretty much to ourselves on the first night. We got exactly what we wanted and more from the Lodge! The cabins were in a perfect location and had a nice clean bathroom and shower for those of us who don't want to be completely out of our element. In this area there is no reason to spend time in your cabin except to sleep, so the size was perfect! They had a fridge in the room which also helped us store our food and drinks that we brought with us to bbq every night. We never took advantage of eating at the restaurant but heard good things from the other visitors. We also participated in the nightly campfire and enjoyed the company of the workers and other guests as we sat around the fire and roasted marshmallows. Everyone was super friendly and we could see how this would be a great place for families! We also went on the dinner horseback ride and had so much fun! The horses were trained well, but not your old slow trail horses that you typically see as they all had their own personalities and required you to be active with the horse as you went through the canyon and enjoyed the sights along the way. The cookout of potatoes and beans and steak over the open fire was delicious... not a 4 star steak dinner, but great for a ride in the wilderness! After riding through the park and seeing the cabins available there and the price you would pay at the Old Faithful Lodge, it reaffirmed that Absaroka was the way to go. After the third day, the trek from the East entrance to the main loop in the park was getting a little old, but not overly inconvenient and we would definitely come back to Absaroka! Thanks Shannon, Robert, Alex, Amanda, Mary, Tom, Allie, Josie, and everyone for a great time!

Room Tip: There are not very many cabins (around 10 or so) and I think it just depends on what type of cabin y...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends