“Skip It”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cody
Absaroka Mountain Lodge
Ranked #12 of 28 Speciality Lodging in Cody
Palm Desert, California
“Skip It”
Reviewed 1 July 2006

It's hard to pick a place over the Internet; but, after seeing the website and talking with the owners last winter, I made reservations at Absaroka. Physically, the setting is beautiful. It is nestled between two buttes and does have a stream running through it.
Sometimes, problems can be avoided by being up front with them. I had been warned the cabin was tiny. The curtains did not cover the window. The place smelled moldy. There was one 40 watt lamp. I was not told there was no water and that the pump was down when we checked in. I was tired and dirty and I wanted to wash my hands. I couldn't because there wasn't any water. Neither was there a plastic cup or soap. I was told the water would be back on soon and it was. I was told there was supposed to be plastic cups and soap and they appeared during dinner. In order to ride, you have to sign up the night before. We were never asked if we were interested. The employees raced up and down the dry, dusty, dirt/gravel road in golf carts,regardless of the fact we were walking in their dust. It appeared to me that the food in the restaurant is purchased precooked and heated on the premises. I would not describe the food as home cooked or tastey. Since the east entrance to Yellowstone is closed from 8P.M. to 8A.M. for serious road construction (it took 1 hour and 30 minutes to get from the entrance to Fishing Bridge, this place is inconveniently located , the family owners were not pleasant it is not worth the effort to get there.

3 Thank Tek

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 October 2005

My family stayed at the Absaroka Mtn Lodge on a trip to Yellowstone. It is pleasantly located, but the accomodations were very marginal. The price was as high as anyone else in the area, and the tiny cabin would have been considered very basic in the 1950's. Quite cramped, although clean and tidy. The bathroom was mildew-smelling, had one of those sheet metal shower stalls, and one person couldn’t back up without bumping something. No space to hang anything except to drape it over the water heater (and hope it wouldn’t catch fire). Overall, very rustic.

My main complaint, however, has to do with the management who were not forthcoming in their conversations with me, actually devious. I asked about the “nightly campfires” which are advertised in their literature. When I made the reservations, the owner said the only problem might be the weather keeping them from the campfires. After we arrived, we were told the campfires had been stopped the week before because a lot of the help had gone back to college. Now, he knew exactly what dates we were coming and he knew, I’m sure, exactly what date his staff was going back to school. Another guest had a similar story. They called 3 days before arrival to try to book a “breakfast horse ride” which they were very keen on taking. The owner said not to worry, there would be plenty of opportunity to sign up when they arrived. They arrived 3 days later and were told that there were no more breakfast rides because the staff had gone back to college the week before. This is not being above board with the guests. I might also add that there was major road construction on the East Yellowstone entrance which added 60-90 minutes to one’s travel to Yellowstone (both ways). The host conveniently didn’t mention this to me, although I suppose I can’t fault him for this (I doubt if any lodge owner would have said anything). If I had known, I would have booked near a different entrance.

Finally, the restaurant was unbelievably expensive. We had a $38 breakfast for 4 with such exotic items as 1 bowl of granola, 1 order pancakes, and 2 orders eggs/toast for the 4 of us with coffee/milk. Another couple had dinner there which they told me was the worst meal on their whole trip.

My advice would be to find a different lodge on your trip to Yellowstone.

• Stayed August 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2005

Our family have just returned from a wonderful trip to the Midwest of the USA and one of the highlights of our trip was our stay at the Absaroka Mountain Lodge. This small ranch is nestled in the Absaroka Mountains just a short drive from the east entrance to Yellowstone National Park. Our cabin was exceptionally clean, comfortable, wonderfully decorated and full of western charm. This ranch, surrounded by beautiful scenery, is superbly run by the Boyd Family who go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The main lodge houses a restaurant and small bar and is very warm and inviting. We did an early morning horseback ride up into the mountains for a campfire breakfast - it was awesome and the views were stunning. If you are ever over this way, check out the Absaroka Mountain Lodge - you wont be disappointed, we all found it a very hard place to leave.

7 Thank mummabear