“The Only Place to Stay In Cody Wy”
Review of Chamberlin Inn

Chamberlin Inn
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Cody
Reviewed 30 August 2008

The Chamberlin Inn is truly the only place to stay in Cody.
Frequent business brings me into town. Therefore, I have run the circuit on hotels.
Holiday Inn, (dirty) Americ Inn, (too far from town) and The Cody, (too noisy, far from town)
The Cody can not hold a candle to what the owners of the Chamberlin have created. Which is a unique travel experience with wonderful details. Like claw foot tubs, great toiletries, fresh flowers, and sheets that smell as though they have just come off the line.
Traveling for a living, as I do, The Chamberlin Inn has become a home away from home.
The owners greet you like family. They open the door to an intimate experience that I would recommend to any traveler. They have lived a colorful life, but remain humble about there adventures. Their eclectic personalities reflect in every detail of the hotel.
The staff is hard working, courteous and more then accommodating.
This hotel is by far the most immaculate place I have EVER stayed. (And I have stayed at them all)
I look forward to my return to this hotel, as it is in a class of it's own.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank freetravler

Reviewed 9 August 2008

We stayed in Cody prior to the July 4th long weekend. The hotel is well located - half a block off the main street. Close to the centre of town but away from the noise. The restoration is high quality - the rooms well appointed - not overly large but very comfortable. It made a change from the usual "chain" hotel/motel.

We found the service friendly, when they were manning the front desk. On more than one occasion we failed to locate staff, generally after 8pm or before 8am.

The only drawback, and it is a minor one was the lack of breakfast facilities. We walked a couple of hundred yards to "Grannys" - which seemed extremely popular with the "locals". It gave us the opportunity to people watch or in Cody - coyboy watch.

I couldn't rate the hotel "excellent" but it was ceratinly a strong "above average".

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Geddes_7
Reviewed 19 July 2008

I travel a lot for business, and I have to say I have never stayed anywhere cleaner than the Chamberlin Inn.

Besides that, this small, boutique hotel is also an elegant and quaint choice for a stay in Cody.

Located 1/2 block from the main drag (Sheridan), it is far enough from the action to be quiet, but close enough so that you can walk anywhere you'd want to go.

The Irma Hotel gets a lot of the town's publicity (as anything else that Buffalo Bill Cody ever touched), but in my opinion, the Chamberlin is such a better choice compared to the Quality Inn, Irma, Best Western, or the Irma (which smells like booze and is located over a restaurant/bar).

The hotel was recently remodeled in 2005, and was upgraded in almost every detail. The rooms have fine furnishings and decorating details that makes it stand out when compared to any chain. The overall effect is charming, but not stifling. The lobby has a photo album showing the remodel process, and also gives a lot of detail about the namesake of the Inn.

The staff were very courteous, and there is a courtyard in the back that has seating and tables to relax and enjoy the weather (if it is the summer that is). No lie, but we saw a bunny hopping around back there. You can also play croquet, as they have it set up.

There is also an enclosed porch on the second floor, where you can relax and enjoy one of the books from their library. The library has a computer so that you can check your e-mail. Brought your laptop? They have free wireless.

When I asked where a local laundermat was, I was offered the use of the hotel's facilities. They have a very large kitchen , as the hotel has a conference room/party area in the back if you have a need for a meeting. It would be a very pretty place for a wedding too.

There is a Hemingway Suite here...apparently the man himself stayed here during a fishing trip. You can look at the rooms that aren't occupied as the management keeps them open for visitors to view them.

I cannot say enough positive things about the Chamberlin. If you are going to Cody, I would HIGHLY recommend it for your stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2008

Having just read the previous review, I feel compelled to write about our occasional stays at the Chamberlin Inn. We found the Chamberlin Inn shortly after they opened after their huge renovation and have enjoyed staying there on our short weekend trips to Cody. The hotel is immaculate (not even a little bit musty) and beautifully decorated. Each room is different, so we have had some fun choosing each time.
Service is wonderful and the owners are always very accomodating and helpful. The times we have stayed upstairs, someone has always offered to carry our luggage for us. As for the ice issue, there was always plenty in the freezer (not in trays) and was usually gotten for us.
The reviewer makes mention of the "owner's son", but the owners I have gotten to know only have daughters. Maybe he reviewed the wrong hotel?!?

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed 7 July 2008

I was really looking forward to extending a week's long guest ranch visit by ending in Cody. The Chamberlin Inn looked nice and ideally located. My arrival was o.k. and I was even allowed to check in early.

The room that I stayed in was a bit musty smelling but the bathroom was very nice. The stairs were a BIG (no elevator/lift) hassle as I had an overweight suitcase and needed assistance for a very early a.m. departure. I was advised to call the Owner's son in the next morning and he would assist. I called to no avail. After dragging my suitcase down the stairs, past him sitting at the reception, he said sorry but didn't offer to get up and help.

I asked for ice that evening and was pointed to/given directions to the kitchen. The residental freezer on site had no ice, except cubes that I had to break and clean up. After breaking my ice, re-filling the containers, and cleaning up my mess from the water, I headed back to the room. Once upstairs, I realized I had no glasses in my room, so I headed back for the kitchen.

The locks do not have a dead-bolt so the rooms can be opened with a key outside. I guess you really don't need in Cody :)

Overall, a bit over priced and a disappointment but I would consider returning and hope that my visit was unique.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank fromatltony
Reviewed 14 June 2008

If you want a free waffle you won't get it here but you will the best place to stay in Cody. What a wonderful hotel. Quiet, good bed and bath. The owners welcome you like good friends. Want dinner reservations, they'll do it. Want to go to a movie, they'll get you the times. Location is great. Walk to the Irma Hotel, BB museum, great spots to eat. Stay here and you won't be disappointed.

Tim & Debbie Shaffer
Bainbridge Island, Wa

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tshaffer
Reviewed 4 June 2008

When we made a spur-of-the-moment decision to spend two days in Cody, WY, we were lucky enough to find a room in the Chamberlin Inn. Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly by the owner, who even carried our heavy bags upstairs. There is no elevator, but they try to reserve the first floor rooms for guests who have a problem with stairs. The location of the Inn, right in downtown Cody, is walking distance from restaurants and shops.
We have had experience with remodeling an older home, and were quite impressed by the attention to detail in the remodeling of the building, and the decor. The crown moldings and woodwork are perfect, the sheets and pillows were so-o-o comfortable, and we loved the fresh flowers on the table and the chocolates on the pillow.
The same attention to detail is clear in the way they treat their guests. Ev and Susan, the owners, were happy to suggest good local restaurants, and entertainment - even making a reservation for us. Both of them are very happy to talk about the restoration of the Inn.
In addition to free wireless Internet throughout, I appreciated the computer which is available in the Library for guest use. I wish we had had more time to enjoy everything the Chamberlin offered.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple