“Great place to stay!!”

Carter Mountain Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cody
Carter Mountain Motel
Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Cody
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We only stayed for 1 night on our way from Yellowstone to Deadwood but would have liked to stay much longer. Location was great, our room was clean, the bed was very comfortable, great shower, and nicely decorated. Very quite and great for sleeping. The owner was very friendly and helpful, always available to answer any questions. If we are ever back in Cody we would love to stay at The Carter Mountain Motel again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rawnyd

Reviewed 5 September 2010

We stay here 2 to 3 times a year when we come fishing. The rooms are generously sized, clean and a great value. Some of the rooms have kitchenettes and there's some cottages out back.

Great location in the center of town.

• Stayed: September 2010
4  Thank Channel_Surfer
Reviewed 11 July 2010

My sister and I spent 2 nights here before leaving for YNP. Very convienent, yet no street noise. Room was clean and large, although the bathroom was small. Plenty of towels and comfortable beds. Bright and cheery, great views. Staff friendly and helpful. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank MaraSuung
Reviewed 14 June 2010

We were happy to find this motel on line, and even happier after we arrived. The owners of this family owned business are friendly and helpful and the motel is very clean and tidy. The rates are reasonable and it will be my first choice if I travel this way again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank ODIEIVE
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Spent many nights here over the last 15 months. Very reasonable rates in the off season. Clean and good beds. Kitchens available. Warm in the winter. Desk closes at 9:00 in off season.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank norskman
Reviewed 9 September 2008

My husband and I stayed here Sept. 6, 2008. We got into town late, and it being Sat. night, a lot of motels had no vacancy. We also had our poodle with us, so we were afraid we wouldn't find anywhere that would accept pets. We were a little leery of the fact that it was an older motel, and not a "chain" motel. But, we were very pleasantly surprised. I've traveled a lot, and spent a lot of time in motels, but this was the cleanest I've ever stayed in. The bed was very comfortable, with a charming patchwork quilt and pillow shams. A lot of motels that accept pets have a "doggie" smell, but this one did not. It was extremely clean smelling. I read an earlier review that said someone had trouble with the commode not flushing. We didn't have any problems whatsoever. I wish all motels were this homey and nice.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank mizzfrizz
Reviewed 28 August 2008

Look, I don't mind paying $100 for a motel room with two beds if there's $100 worth of value associated with the room. Unfortunately, the Carter Mountain Motel seems to be just one more example of what's gone so terribly wrong with the hospitality industry in the greater Yellowstone-Teton region.

Let's begin with the bathoom. We could forgive the fact that the bathroom was exceptionally tiny. Imagine our surprise, however, when we read the small sign on the wall next to the toilet warning the guest to hold the handle on the toilet down for a minimum of 8 to 12 seconds to "assure an adequate flush." Well, in our experience, it really didn't matter how long we held the handle down. The toilet flow still seemed quite inadequate. Apparently, the motel management recognized this, too, because they provided a plunger for the guest to use in case of a plugged toilet. Ok, maybe it's just me, but I don't feel I should be wacked for $100 a night if I'm going to have to spend part of the evening using a plunger to unplug my motel room's toilet. Talk about audacity.

Ok, let's move on to the subject of sleep. Imagine how you would feel if you were forced to sleep next to the roar of a jet aircraft. Well, try sleeping next to the Carter Mountain Motel's air conditioning unit. If you turn it off, you bake in the heat of a typical Cody, Wyoming summer. If you turn it on, you might want to consider ear plugs because our unit was so loud I think I now should consider a hearing aid.

You know, years ago, one could travel with one's family to the Yellowstone-Teton family and pay for motels and meals for a reasonable price. Now, I'm inclined to believe that is no longer true. Families of modest means really don't have as many options when traveling to this area these days. After this most recent vacation, we're to the point where we're going to cross the Yellowstone-Teton region off our list of favorite leisure destinations. Some of you who own/manage the hospitality industry businesses in this area ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TufCustomer