“Hurry up to wait”
Review of Elk View Inn

Elk View Inn
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We made the mistake of going here to eat dinner one night over our Labor Day vacation, won't do that again. We waited over an hour and a half from the time we were seated until we were served our food, and in comparison to other patrons we were served fast. Tables were dirty, overall hygiene was atrocious. Our food was lukewarm and the wait staff is incompetent and understaffed. The person collecting payment at the front desk had no business trying to operate a cash register and credit card machine and was very curt and rude. They offer no apology because they don't have to, the same owner owns every establishment near Burgess Junction, they'll get no more of my business.

Room Tip: Don't go here...period
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank D S
Smilyncor, Manager at Elk View Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Hello, thanks for giving us a review and a chance to discuss it with you and others.

My name is Corey and although I was not the manager at the time of your stay, I would like to address a couple issues for you and others that are reading this.

Labor Day is one of our busiest times a year. How many people were in your party? How many parties were ahead of you? If the wait staff did not inform you of a long wait period then I am sorry. We do that now. We have a reastaruant that holds 60 and a bar that holds 45 so our 2 chefs might get overwhelmed if everyone comes in at once. We have 1 server (with a Bachelor's Degree) and he is backed up now by 2 other people. If he get's behind, we will all pitch in to help. I did this just last night. A table of 12 came in and right behind them was a table of 2. Even though it was my day off, I stopped eating my dinner and quickly took the order for the table of 2.

The staff realize the importance of clearing tables as quickly as possible but like any big place, if it is busy, tables might not get cleaned as soon as one visitor leaves. Again, if we see this, we will pitch in to help the server.

I hope you let the staff know about the lukewarm food so they could try and fix it. Did the manager at the time make any offers to fix it for you? I will.

I'm not sure who was at the desk then, but we have 3 very capable register operators (I would say 4 but I am still learning the codes and how to ring them up) . Because our credit card machine operates off a very slow internet line it causes great frustration for our staff. They should never let it show to the guests. If they do, please let me know.

I do offer apologies and don't feel anyone should have a bad experience at this hotel. I will try and make it right if I can. The entire staff and I try very hard to make each persons visit a good one. If it isn't, then please say something at that point, during your stay or at the very least at checkout so we can try and make it right. The Big Horn Mountains are a beautiful place to visit and we do not want to be the cause of a bad vacation. Thank you again for trying us and if you are ever in the area again, stop in for a cup of coffee and let's talk.

Corey Hulse
Manager

There are newer reviews for Elk View Inn

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed here last year and had a great experience but this year Aug 2012 totally different. We were on an ATV trip so the trails brought us back, I dont think the accomodations would bring me back again. Some of the staff seem to really have an attitude and they dont mind to make you wait for everything. 20 minutes for coffee and getting your food when everyone else at your table is done eating and then another 15 minutes to pay the tab. Where do they go during this time?? To be fair the bar service was good so we started eating in the bar when we could. The rooms are getting old and need updating or at least a good cleaning would help. We pretty much had no houskeeping and we were there for 3 nights. No ice in hotel building you have to get it at the front desk.The only thing they have going for them is location because you are on top of the bighorns. If you eat breakfast here plan on at least an hour even if you are the only customer. If you buy gas plan on waiting to pay as well. If riding ATV's the Park Service requires you to drive on the highway and not the ditches or they will ticket you. The trail head to the south is 5 miles away. The problem with this is the highway can be very busy and this could be dangerous. Adding ATV trails from the lodge to the trail system would be very welcome.

Room Tip: Location is good but lower your expectatons if you stay here.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank r s
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Service is horrible. The resteraunt had one waitress to manage the whole thing. Ended up leaving before our kids even got there whole meal. No towels in the pool, called to get some and were told housekeeping was gone and we were just out of luck ( at 5:30) told to use our room towels. We did and called in the morning for more room towels. ( never got those either) Our sink was torn apart in our room. Game room was a joke. Asked the front desk for the equipment to play air hockey and was informed it was stolen. WOrst part is that when we checked out and they asked how our stay is, we voiced our concerns and all the front desk said was " Oh" No apology, nothing!! We asked if the Bear Lodge Resort was run the same way and they replied " Yes, same owners" STAY CLEAR!!

Room Tip: People up and down the hallways all hours of the nights
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank jennifer b
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Now if this Hotel (this is no resort) was located in Downtown Denver I would be far more critical of the flaws but it is located on top of the beautiful Big Horn Mountains and a good hour and half drive down the mountain from the closest city of any size. Yes there are dead moths, bird poop, and some dirt but what do you expect in the mountains.

My overall impression was good but the rooms are a little dark, the walls are thin, and there is a lack of decent tv stations to watch while it is pouring rain. On the upside there is a pool table, a hot tub, and a decent pool.

The food was good but a limited menu. Expect to spend $10+ per person. The bar had good prices on draft beer (Moose Drool for $3.50 during happy hour/$4.00 the rest of the time). Buying a six pack to take back to the room can get expensive!

If you are planning on four wheeling this is a prime location. They rent four wheelers and if you have your own you don't have to trailer your atv you can leave from the hotel and drive about 2 miles to the trail head. (even if not street legal there are trails running along the highway)If you want to trailer your atv there are lots and lots of great trails to ride on once you spend a couple of days exploring the ones close to the hotel.

The reason you go to a place like this is to enjoy the outdoors and have someplace to sleep and shower after a long and dirty day in the woods. It accomplished both of these requirements!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank CarGuyWy
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I recently made a reservation at Elk View Inn which I then had to cancel. When I tried to cancel, I was told that they had a 14 days cancellation policy and, thus, would charge for the night which I had reserved. I protested, since I had not been informed about this when making the original reservations. They charged my credit card nevertheless. I am currently disputing the charge.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ThomasWyoming
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We recently stayed for two nights. When we arrived there was no sign as to where you go to check inn. There is a building in the front and the lodge in a rear building. We went to the lodge first but it had no check in. When we went into the front door of the lodge there was bird poop all over the deck leading into the entrance. It was disgusting. So we went to the other building and found that is where the check in was. The room was not very clean and there was a burnt out bulb in the bathroom and also burnt out light bulbs in the hallway leading to our room. I don't think we would ever return to this place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BobTMontana
Reviewed 21 July 2012

There aren't many lodging options up in the Big Horns, so this place should be judged by the competition and in view of the remote location. We stayed here July 16, 2012, after leaving early from our reservation at nearby Bear Lodge in disgust (see my review of that property.) These two lodges - about a mile apart - are actually owned by the same people, but they are quite different. The most obvious difference is the staff - at Elk View the staff is attentive, polite, courteous and helpful. The entire facility is quite up-to-date and competitive with motels in more urban settings. The restaurant setting and menu is rewarding (even for vegetarians like us - we were very pleased with the chef's work). My only complaints are that they don't have a guest laundry, and no wifi in the rooms - it is only available in the restaurant. It costs a bit more than Bear Lodge, but it is worth it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Been to Elk View Inn? Share your experiences!