“Awesome Experience!!”

Elk View Inn
Campton, Kentucky
“Awesome Experience!!”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I just stayed at the Elk View Inn last night and it was an awesome experience. The staff is super helpful and the inn is warm and inviting. We had dinner and breakfast at the inn and the food was wonderful. The staff just went above and beyond our expectations. We WILL be staying here again and would recommend it to others looking for a neat mountain retreat.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Smilyncor, Manager at Elk View Inn, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Thank you for your review. We are glad you had an Awesome Experience with us and we look forward to your next visit. We try hard to make sure everyone has a great time here and if something were to ever go wrong all you would have to do is say something and we'll sort it out for you. We do have good food/menu's. The kitchen and servers try very hard to make sure each meal is prepared and served the way our guests and visitor's want it. If it's not served right, we'll make it right. Thank you again and we'll see you next time.

Corey Hulse, Manager
307-461-4168

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Billings, Montana
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I stayed in their largest cabin on 2-23-2013 with my family and another family during a smowmobile/sledding trip. This was by far the worst place I have ever stayed. This cabin cost us $265 and this is what we got:

Smelly hot tub and cold pool, disabled smoke alarm in bedroom, dirty kitchen, curly hairs in the shower, no coffee, bedroom heaters not working, cabin heater would not regulate properly and the living room got up to 94 deg at night, garbage under the beds, and to top it off we found a dried up pile of vomit from a previous renter on the carpet next to one of the beds.

This place was horrible. I do not recomend it to any one. We complained to the manager at Bear Lodge (they own both lodges) and he tried to make excuses for everything instead of admitting they screwed up. They knocked $100 off the room and we still payed $165 too much! The fact is they have a captive audience up there and they don't give a rip about service, health, or safety.

Room Tip: Find someplace else to stay.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
11 Thank MMSS406
Smilyncor, Manager at Elk View Inn, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Good Morning and thank you for your honest and straight forward review. I'm sorry it was not the experience you wanted. My name is Corey and I am the new on site manager. I was not here at the time of your stay but am sorry for what you encountered. To correct some of these problems we do a daily walk thru of cleaned or refreshed rooms with hotel cleaning staff, daily testings of the pool and hot tub are being done to ensure proper ph balance, we replaced the old thermostat in the cabin with a new one and so far it seems to be working just fine and smoke alarms are tested monthly to ensure they work. If those items were not identified at check in so that they could be corrected right away, I'm sorry. Any guest checking in has the right to a clean room and if it's not, we have the duty to correct it right away.

Having an on site manager will help with any problems like this in the future and if you want to give us another try, just call and ask for me.

Corey Hulse, Manager
307-461-4168

Travellers are raving about these Dayton hotels

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed there in July of 2010 and were very happy with everything. So we went back in August of 2012 and were very disappointed. We were staying for a week and our room did not get serviced for four days. We had to go ask for towels when we came back from riding. There were not any towels in the pool area ever. There excuse was always that they only had one maid. That should not be our problem. The king rooms have split king beds which are very uncomfortable. We asked to switch rooms and the gal at the desk was very very rude. The restaurant was not open until 5 days into our stay. They acted like we were a thorn in their side. Instead of paying guests. I e-mailed the owners when we got home and told them our concerns and did not even receive a response. That shows me that they don't care either. We would like to go riding there again, but will not stay there. Its a shame, it could be a pretty nice place.

Room Tip: Do not take a king room. The beds are split king and very uncomfortable
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank NANA150
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We made the mistake of going here to eat dinner one night over our Labor Day vacation, won't do that again. We waited over an hour and a half from the time we were seated until we were served our food, and in comparison to other patrons we were served fast. Tables were dirty, overall hygiene was atrocious. Our food was lukewarm and the wait staff is incompetent and understaffed. The person collecting payment at the front desk had no business trying to operate a cash register and credit card machine and was very curt and rude. They offer no apology because they don't have to, the same owner owns every establishment near Burgess Junction, they'll get no more of my business.

Room Tip: Don't go here...period
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank D S
Smilyncor, Manager at Elk View Inn, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Hello, thanks for giving us a review and a chance to discuss it with you and others.

My name is Corey and although I was not the manager at the time of your stay, I would like to address a couple issues for you and others that are reading this.

Labor Day is one of our busiest times a year. How many people were in your party? How many parties were ahead of you? If the wait staff did not inform you of a long wait period then I am sorry. We do that now. We have a reastaruant that holds 60 and a bar that holds 45 so our 2 chefs might get overwhelmed if everyone comes in at once. We have 1 server (with a Bachelor's Degree) and he is backed up now by 2 other people. If he get's behind, we will all pitch in to help. I did this just last night. A table of 12 came in and right behind them was a table of 2. Even though it was my day off, I stopped eating my dinner and quickly took the order for the table of 2.

The staff realize the importance of clearing tables as quickly as possible but like any big place, if it is busy, tables might not get cleaned as soon as one visitor leaves. Again, if we see this, we will pitch in to help the server.

I hope you let the staff know about the lukewarm food so they could try and fix it. Did the manager at the time make any offers to fix it for you? I will.

I'm not sure who was at the desk then, but we have 3 very capable register operators (I would say 4 but I am still learning the codes and how to ring them up) . Because our credit card machine operates off a very slow internet line it causes great frustration for our staff. They should never let it show to the guests. If they do, please let me know.

I do offer apologies and don't feel anyone should have a bad experience at this hotel. I will try and make it right if I can. The entire staff and I try very hard to make each persons visit a good one. If it isn't, then please say something at that point, during your stay or at the very least at checkout so we can try and make it right. The Big Horn Mountains are a beautiful place to visit and we do not want to be the cause of a bad vacation. Thank you again for trying us and if you are ever in the area again, stop in for a cup of coffee and let's talk.

Corey Hulse
Manager
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed here last year and had a great experience but this year Aug 2012 totally different. We were on an ATV trip so the trails brought us back, I dont think the accomodations would bring me back again. Some of the staff seem to really have an attitude and they dont mind to make you wait for everything. 20 minutes for coffee and getting your food when everyone else at your table is done eating and then another 15 minutes to pay the tab. Where do they go during this time?? To be fair the bar service was good so we started eating in the bar when we could. The rooms are getting old and need updating or at least a good cleaning would help. We pretty much had no houskeeping and we were there for 3 nights. No ice in hotel building you have to get it at the front desk.The only thing they have going for them is location because you are on top of the bighorns. If you eat breakfast here plan on at least an hour even if you are the only customer. If you buy gas plan on waiting to pay as well. If riding ATV's the Park Service requires you to drive on the highway and not the ditches or they will ticket you. The trail head to the south is 5 miles away. The problem with this is the highway can be very busy and this could be dangerous. Adding ATV trails from the lodge to the trail system would be very welcome.

Room Tip: Location is good but lower your expectatons if you stay here.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank r s
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Service is horrible. The resteraunt had one waitress to manage the whole thing. Ended up leaving before our kids even got there whole meal. No towels in the pool, called to get some and were told housekeeping was gone and we were just out of luck ( at 5:30) told to use our room towels. We did and called in the morning for more room towels. ( never got those either) Our sink was torn apart in our room. Game room was a joke. Asked the front desk for the equipment to play air hockey and was informed it was stolen. WOrst part is that when we checked out and they asked how our stay is, we voiced our concerns and all the front desk said was " Oh" No apology, nothing!! We asked if the Bear Lodge Resort was run the same way and they replied " Yes, same owners" STAY CLEAR!!

Room Tip: People up and down the hallways all hours of the nights
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank jennifer b
Wyoming
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Now if this Hotel (this is no resort) was located in Downtown Denver I would be far more critical of the flaws but it is located on top of the beautiful Big Horn Mountains and a good hour and half drive down the mountain from the closest city of any size. Yes there are dead moths, bird poop, and some dirt but what do you expect in the mountains.

My overall impression was good but the rooms are a little dark, the walls are thin, and there is a lack of decent tv stations to watch while it is pouring rain. On the upside there is a pool table, a hot tub, and a decent pool.

The food was good but a limited menu. Expect to spend $10+ per person. The bar had good prices on draft beer (Moose Drool for $3.50 during happy hour/$4.00 the rest of the time). Buying a six pack to take back to the room can get expensive!

If you are planning on four wheeling this is a prime location. They rent four wheelers and if you have your own you don't have to trailer your atv you can leave from the hotel and drive about 2 miles to the trail head. (even if not street legal there are trails running along the highway)If you want to trailer your atv there are lots and lots of great trails to ride on once you spend a couple of days exploring the ones close to the hotel.

The reason you go to a place like this is to enjoy the outdoors and have someplace to sleep and shower after a long and dirty day in the woods. It accomplished both of these requirements!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CarGuyWy

Been to Elk View Inn? Share your experiences!