“Ghetto!!!”
Review of Bear Lodge Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dayton
Bear Lodge Resort
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We recently stayed on our way to Yellowstone. Big mistake!!!

As others have alluded......this place is infested and nothing but a trash heap. Our room (which cost about $90) was filthy. Stained carpets, gross bedding, the wallpaper is literally peeling off the walls, leaking toilet, broken screen and curtain rod. I could go on and on. The grounds around the lodge is littered with.....there is no other way to describe it.....trash. I saw broken down (abandoned?) vehicles, trailers and snowmobiles. Piles of discarded and useless property are strewn about the premises. It makes Detroit look like a park.

The bar is extremely dark.....for good reason. It is filthy and stinks like cigarettes (which people were huffing on non-stop). I'm told it was mostly employees in the bar smoking. As for the employees, well most of the employees that I could see looked like they belonged on Americas Most Wanted, and all of them looked like they needed a bath. The food was terrible and overpriced.

My husband comes out here every winter snowmobiling, and loves it. But then, he is with a group of men and they are either out sledding, drinking, or sleeping. They have no complaints. I had to have a few drinks before I could consider laying down on the bed, and I did not shower the next morning. Waited until our next hotel. Which, funny story......the waiter at the resort at Yellowstone said he was hired to work at Bear Lodge over a year ago. He showed up for work and was disgusted with the conditions. He left 3 days later and was hired by Pahashke Resort at Yellowstone.

So if you are a guy that is looking for a place to lay your drunken head, this is it. If you are a person with reasonable standards of cleanliness......do not ever consider this hellhole.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
18  Thank heidi M
There are newer reviews for Bear Lodge Resort

Reviewed 6 September 2012

I'll start out by saying that I practically grew up in the Bighorn Mtns. I've spent time there EVERY summer since I was born. Therefore, I know what Bear Lodge was like before the current owners. It wasn't good either but it has gotten 10X's worse in the years that the current owners have had it. I keep hoping that they will go through and clean the place up a bit, including back in the trees around the cabins and camping areas. I have decided they will never do it. We decided to make a last minute reservation for Labor Day weekend, it should have raised red flags that we were able to get a "rustic" cabin on such short notice. We rolled in late Friday night, payed the deposit for the key to unlock the padlock on the door, drove back, climbed out, took a deep breath expecting cool evening mountain air, and started gagging, it smelled like their septic tanks overflowed. Go around and every single outhouse is filthy, even for an outhouse, and haven't been pumped in years. Go inside to take care of business and the indoor toilets are disgusting. Go to use the shower area and retreat quickly for fear of catching hepatitis. Go eat a Big Mike's homemade pie pulled directly off of the SYSCO frozen food truck, which probably isn't a bad thing after observing the hygiene of the staff and the abundant health code violations in plain view. Speaking of Big Mike, rude and unpleasant. The sad thing is, you'd think you could go to one of the other establishments up there but then realize they own Arrowhead and Elk View as well, they rotate the same staff around to each one and you get the same inept service and crappy food. I will continue to go to my beloved Bighorn Mtns for years to come but until this pair sells the lodges I will not step foot inside one of them again.

Room Tip: Sleep under a tarp far away so you don't smell this place
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
16  Thank D S
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We arrived late, in the rain, and the "resort" is so remote that there was no chance of finding another place to stay. Honestly if it hadn't been raining we would have gone somewhere, anywhere, and set up our nice, clean tent. As it was I took one look around outside (trash and JUNK, literally EVERYWHERE, car parts, heaps of scrap wood, etc), and one look inside (strange mismatched furniture, questionable beds/bedding, dirty floors, curtains barely hanging on) and my stomach just churned. What kind of place is this!? We sat outside under a ramshackle RV carport type thing with a broken, wobbly picnic table and discussed our options. Basically I told him I could NOT do it. I could not and was NOT putting my clean sleeping bag on a bed that most likely came off one of the trash heaps outside. He finally agreed with me and the two of us and our dog spent the night in our car. I was no way no how using the outside facilities provided for the cabins, so while the doors to the lodge were still open I went inside to use the bathroom. The lodge itself might have been okay, although it all looked run down and smelled musty. Maybe in winter people don't care because the trash is covered by snow, but come on even snowmobilers have to have some standards. I feel bad cause I've never written a review this bad before. But we have a new rating system of our own. It's called the "Cabin 15" system. If it comes close to Cabin 15 it is about the rankest place on earth.

17  Thank PollyKing
Reviewed 3 September 2012

This is a beautiful location, but they are so short staffed that getting decent customer service is slim. You can blame the employees as they are doing the best they can, but I would go camping vs paying for rooms that aren't very clean. Food isn't bad but I wonder about how clean the kitchen is if the rooms are any indication. I felt bad for the front desk clerk who had the phones ringing, and a line forming. I only stayed one nite, and they was good enuf for me forever. I'll be camping and there's plenty of camping to be had.

Room Tip: Before you get in that bed look for bugs. I know they had some issues of bedbugs but they travel wit...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
12  Thank michelle D
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Nastiest hotel I ever stayed at. Needs to be burned down and rebuilt it's so filthy! Finding a bed bug in the bathroom should have been the first clue to high tail it out of there. Place smelled like a septic dump outside. Reminded me of "Deliverance" while walking around the property. Fell asleep around 11pm only to wake at 11:45 by the bed bug attack!!! Crawling all over my wife and my pillows. Left at 12:45am with my two kids and wife only to find out that the nearest place was Cody on our way to Yellowstone. Had a really hard time sleeping in any hotel after that night. Still waking up and checking my pillow for bed bugs.

20  Thank Dwane K
Reviewed 29 July 2012

The scenery surrounding the Bearlodge Resort is fantastic. The hotel is sorely in need of cleaning and upkeep. The 'front desk' is difficult to locate, situated between the bar, the restaurant and 'gift shop.' We waited for the clerk to ring up restaurant meals, bar tabs, and give directions. And as noted in another review, there is a deposit for the room key. The garbage cans were full-to-overflowing, cigarette butts littered the parking lot, the carpet stained and the hall badly in need of cleaning/fresh paint. We were fortunate to be on the second floor; the music from the bar was quite loud on the first floor. In our room, the air conditioner worked but the screen was torn. The room was average sized, carpet needed cleaning, towels and bedding were worn. We'll check out the other nearby options on future trips.

20  Thank SDCooks
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed here July 15, 2012. The place seems to have lots of management problems - many rooms were not ready for guests at 2 pm check in time, the advertised laundry (a treat if you are camping in the Big Horns) was out of service. The guest interface is ridiculous - one lady has to manage guest check-in and check-out, as well as all the restaurant and gift shop customers. When we called earlier in the week to make a reservation she put us on hold for so long we assumed she had forgotten about us - we hung up and called back and were put on hold again. When we checked in a bus load of tourists were leaving the restaurant and the gift shop and it took us a half hour of waiting just to check into the hotel. The staff in the hotel and the restaurant is - to put it politely - not very well trained in hotel management, but they also seem to be badly short-staffed and overworked, and therefore impatient with guests. But the worst experience we had with the staff was with some character with a beard and a cowboy costume who actually seemed to be the manager. He was standing by when we were trying to find out from the poor, overworked lady at the desk where else we could get our laundry done, and he just stared at us with complete stolid, stupid indifference to our problem.
The room was a decent size, but quite shoddy - only one lamp in the whole room (by the bed), no lamp on the desk so it sits in the dark. Badly stained carpet, grey towels and sheets. The air conditioning did not provide any cool air, but if you opened the window the screen was so badly dented that it hardly fit the window and let in bugs. We were on the back side of the hotel, so you have to keep the curtain closed at night because there is an enormous street light right outside the room, and with the curtain closed little air gets into the room.
The food in the restaurant was ok (we're vegetarians, and they have options), and one of the houskeeping staff we encountered was quite helpful. But this place obviously aims low for the biker, beer and cigarettes market segment, and I would recommend that most people would be much happier staying at the nearby Elk View Inn.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
18  Thank jiminptc

Been to Bear Lodge Resort? Share your experiences!