“Great History”

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great History”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This shows you our great history in this area of the country. It gives you a first had experince of what they people went through.

Tucson
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Historic site”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

If you are into the History of the west, especially the Indian wars of the late 1800s thn this is a much.

Visited September 2011
4 Thank BobCatTucson
Agoura Hills, California
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Unremarkable”
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Upon arrival around eight o'clock in the morning, I found the road into the area of the fort barred by a heavy metal gate. There was no sign indicating visiting hours, so after a few minutes I ducked under the gate and walked uphill into the fort site. The area was quite disappointing, the roads being unpaved and the only two buildings – a restored officer’s quarters and an ordnance warehouse – unremarkable. I took a picture of one of them after tramping around the area for about a half hour.
Returning to the car I was making a few notes in my journal when a park ranger arrived to unlock the gate. I felt lucky not to have not been caught "trespassing", but having already paid a visit to what little there was to be seen, quickly went on my way.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank lajollabob
Colorado
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 193 helpful votes
“..wish it was restored...”
Reviewed 22 July 2010

..stopped by here on my way to SD - the KOA advised us there wasn't much here, but it was worth the visit. It's just too bad that the state hasn't restored this fort.

All the buildings are gone except for 2. They're been restored, but the place does have that eerie feel to it like a lot went on here in the day.

If you're interested in history, do take an hour to stop by... I must admit the $4.00 charge was a bit much for what we saw, but $4 isn't much these days.

2 Thank KUMtngal
pompano beach florida
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Hardship Assignment; hardship visit.”
Reviewed 14 August 2009

One should never find fault with other like-minded historians, In this case I make an exception. I really had to use my imagination as to what went before. The utter desolation then and in 2009 resound, in every step, away from the lone museum building.
I was quickly deemed a foreigner (Florida Lic plate)and asked to cough up $4.00 for admission rather than the $2. as a state resident. Big-sign; small print. The new modern handicap assessable bathrooms were out of order, no appologies. The best part was the two page brouchure with verbage concluding with; "When the military abandoned the fort in 1882 it did not die immediately . . . // . . . The old fort, in a state of decay, lost out as a town and declined rapidly. Most of the buildings were sold, dismantled or moved to other locations" Pretty much describes what this tourist-historian found. Artifacts from the 20th century...just as fillers, were co-located with period pieces in display cases. Great buffalo coat however. Need to contract the state budget? Begin here. Sorry, I wish it weren't so.

3 Thank volvo57