“THE place for a Dude Ranch vacation, especially if you have kids!!”
Review of The Lazy L&B Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dubois
The Lazy L&B Ranch
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

If you are in any way considering a Dude Ranch vacation, do not pass up the opportunity to go to Lazy L & B Ranch. This is the place. You won't be sorry. It is a phenomenal experience from start to finish, especially if you have kids.

The new owners Deb and Jason Halmay are naturals in their new roles. They have clearly already mastered the art of hospitality. Combine a talented and warm staff, breathtaking scenery, great horseback riding, fun activities for kids, and delicious food--all with your individual needs in mind, and you have a recipe for a great vacation. My daughter and I took our annual riding trip here this year and my only regret is that we didn't have the whole family with us.

The amazing wranglers-who seemed able to handle absolutely any situation-were knowledgable about horses, riding, the forest and fauna of Wyoming, and also managed to be fun. We learned so much from them in a short time. Horses were specifically chosen for each person and riders got to have the same horse all week. There were a variety of levels of riding and terrain, with a good fit for every rider. You could choose how many and what types of rides to go on, or decide to relax in the pool or hot tub listening to the sound of a rushing river enjoying the spectacular red rock views. Each morning at breakfast, the friendly head wrangler would check in with each person individually to see how they were doing and what kind of ride they would be up for that day.

Some extras in the Lazy L& B experience included entertainment from a gifted singer-songwriter who had glorious stories of Wyoming ranch/cowboy life, her family and her experiences in Nashville. Another evening, there was an option to go into the local town, Dubois, and participate in a real western square dance- so much fun! There was also a fly-fishing option one day for guests who wanted to try their hand at it in a Wyoming river. I also leaned that this specific part of Wyoming is one of the only areas that has the variety of red rock, river, forrest, foot hills and sweeping mountain range views.

Activities for kids were abundant. The owners' three delightful daughters were as welcoming to the children as the staff. I was told that the kids would have so much fun that it would be hard to get them to come in at night, but I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own child. The ranch is a safe and small enough place for children to navigate and play freely. There is a petting zoo for the kids, hayride, crafts, s'mores roast, and always kid-friendly food for the younger guests. Wranglers played games with the kids out on the trail and took the time to show them ant hills, flowers and other interesting things. The children even had the opportunity to help push the horses back from the pasture! Absolutely everyone at the ranch was great with kids.

The cabin accommodations were simple and rustic with some history. I was told that a few of them were original Yellowstone cabins purchased by the first owners and moved to the ranch! They were cleaned each day and included soap/shampoo/body wash etc. for lighter packers. The food was homemade, fresh and delicious. They are able to accommodate any dietary requests. Meals included a wonderful and balanced variety of salads, entrees, sauces, side dishes and desserts ranging from healthy to hearty.

I had read several reviews that talked about Lazy L & B's attentiveness toward guests, but again, I didn't realize the extent of it until I experienced it myself. The constant concern of the staff that we were having a good time and had everything we needed was startling! Upon learning that my daughter and I had to leave at 3:00am to catch a flight out on our last day, one of the ranch managers even made sure that we had a sack breakfast to go in our room refrigerator the night before! The owners dined with guests every night, and the type of great, easy going people this place draws is evidenced by all the adults who stayed in the dining room long after dinner ended enjoying a glass of wine with new friends while the children played or did some fun project together.

If you are looking for a fantastic and memorable Dude Ranch vacation, I can't recommend this place enough. We loved every minute of it.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Jens2sense

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Towards the end of my 3 month road trip around the USA, I was lucky enough to find this wonderful ranch online and booked for a week. The experience was amazing, topped off with excellent friendly staff and a stock of horses which seemed to cater for all levels of rider expertise, or in my case, lack of. My fellow guest were all a great bunch, with two of us deciding to stay a further week. The new owners Jason, and Debbie should be very proud of the experience that they, their staff and horses are providing for their guest. I will be returning next year for another great week or two.

4  Thank Moray B
Reviewed 3 July 2013

First and foremost, this was the most wonderful and memorable family vacation we have ever had, and it surpassed all of our expectations. The location is spectacular, but more than that, it is the people and the atmosphere which really make it so special. The owners, Jason, Deb, and their family, as well as the wranglers and staff are all incredibly welcoming and friendly. We felt at home from the moment we arrived.

We were a family of six including children, parents and grandparents, and were a little unsure initially about what to expect. Certainly, there was some uncertainty around how our two boys, aged 7 and 11, would take to riding having never experienced it before. In fact, a number of the adults in our party had very limited experience (myself included), so there was some trepidation in the beginning. Any nerves were calmed quickly though. The wranglers are awesome, they are knowledgeable and professional, and the horses are incredible. We went for a ride on the first afternoon and never looked back, the boys included.

We rode every day, including some short rides and some full day rides, covering spectacular and diverse country, from deserts, mountains and forests to traversing creeks and rivers. It was incredibly peaceful, with spectacular country as far as the eye can see, sharing it only with the abundant wildlife. You could ride as much or as little as you liked. The wranglers were always very accommodating and would happily tailor rides to suit your needs. That said, we didn’t want to miss any of it. All the rides we did were spectacular.

It wasn’t all about riding though. There was plenty of time to relax, whether it was with a drink on the porch or a soak in the hot tub and pool. There are also other activities you can sample, including fly fishing and shooting, or crafts for the kids. We also had a great night out square dancing in Dubois.

The children made many new friends at the ranch, and they played for hours in the fields by the river or in the tree house. They were genuinely relaxed and happy and we really didn’t have to worry about keeping them entertained for a single minute. All the kids chose to ride together too for the most part. Again, the wranglers were great with the kids and we always felt that they were in safe hands. They had a blast, and never missed an opportunity to get up in the morning to brush and saddle their horses.

The cabins are rustic and sympathetic to their environment and clean and comfortable, and the lodge is also a great place to hang out, whether it be with a coffee in the morning, or sharing stories with other guests over a bottle of wine in the evening. Guests will never go hungry. The food is fantastic and plentiful. The end of week cookout is a particular highlight, where steaks are prepared on the grill and guests share poems and stories inspired by the experiences of the week.

All in all, it was a fantastic week, made even more special by the wonderful people we met and new friends we have made. Each one of us, young and old, was truly sad to have to leave. The Lazy L and B, Deb and Jason, their family, the staff and the horses gave us a week to remember and we fully intend to be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Steven W
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We spent a fabulous family vacation at Lazy L&B. We went there with two children of 6 and 8 with limited riding experience. Some of us were even a little nervous about horses. The wranglers were so helpful, friendly, patient and passionate about horses that we just shook off our apprehensions and embraced horse riding!

Deb and Jason, the owners, are great hosts. Their attention to detail and to our well being was key in making this experience unforgettable.

The ranch is beautifully located and offers amazing rides and sceneries through plains and forests, accross rivers and mountains, with lots of wildlife to spot.

The accommodations are just the way you want it in a ranch: rustic, authentic, yet cozy and comfy. We really felt home there.

The food was great. we kept on congratulating the chef as he was able to surprise us every day. Being French, needless to say that food is a big thing for us : )

We would definitely recommend spending a full week there as every day will bring something memorable, be it a beautiful ride, a diner with new friends, or a convivial moment by the fire pit...

We all left with the idea of coming back.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank SZPV
Reviewed 27 June 2013

What a wonderful experience at the Lazy L & B Ranch! It exceeded my expectations. Everyone at the ranch from the owners Jason & Deb, to the wrangles and staff at the lodge were all wonderful, friendly, kind people. I can't say enough about them. It was so nice getting to know everyone during the week and especially liked that they ate meals with us and went out on the trails with us. It felt like one big, happy family at the end of the week. Wyoming was beautiful and each ride was unique. The wranglers really took care of the guests and were very knowledgeable about the geography, flowers, etc. I didn't want to leave at the end of the week. I will remember this vacation for a long time. Hope to come back again in the future.

1  Thank Gail K
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Lazy L and B Ranch is the perfect place to go for an adventure that will leave you both relaxed and refreshed.

Days start early for those who want to help brush and saddle the horses. Then there is a hearty cooked breakfast, and a choice of different rides every day, building up to two day-long rides with some of the best scenery and most exciting riding you can imagine.

The wranglers are all really experienced, and riding pace is tailored to your experience. There is no pressure to do anything you are not comfortable with, but equally plenty of opportunity to do exciting rides. You won’t believe how soon you are fording rivers, going up and down steep mountains, and trotting through the forests. The landscape is amazing, and you see it all - desert with rich red earth and cactus plants; forests with elk and moose, upright aspen trees and bright flowers; deep river valleys with lush grass and snow-capped mountains in the background, and big hill and mountain rides with views that take all day to absorb.

I travelled by myself, met some great new friends, discovered I love horses, and just had a really wonderful time. Owners Deb and Jason are great hosts, and really flexible to the needs of guests, with a real passion to make sure that all their guests have a brilliant time. All the staff are really welcoming and you will feel at home straightaway.

If you don’t want to ride all the time there is hiking, fishing, crafts for kids and swimming. Evenings include campfires, visits to Dubois to learn Square Dancing or hang out in a local saloon. Or relax in your comfortable and rustic wood cabin, listening to the sounds of the river and gazing out at the views down the valley.

Don't plan on dieting, as all the food is really tasty. A moonlight dip in the riverside hot tub helps to ease away any riding aches, as does a spicy margarita on the lodge porch. You can buy wine and beer or bring your own.

I enjoyed it so much I stayed on for a second week, as did another guest, and I was really glad I did. So much fun!

And what other holiday do you get to wear cowboy hats and boots every day!

I finished my stay in Wyoming with a pack (camping) trip with Bear Basin Adventures, also highly recommended, and link on the Lazy L and B website.

Room Tip: All the cabins are lovely.
2  Thank anna m
Reviewed 23 June 2013

From the very warm welcome on my arrival, to the sad farewells on my departure, I had a great time at the Lazy L& B.

The owners, Deb and Jason, really do want to make it your holiday. If a guest wants to take a different ride from the one planned, they'll do it if at all possible. It's critical to them that the guests have a good time. This extends to activities for the adults outside the riding and to the special arrangements for the children who also have rides adjusted to their capabilities.

The accommodation is rustic, ranch style, very comfortable and quite in keeping with the environment. The dining at breakfast, lunch and dinner is excellent.

All the staff, whether dining room, housekeeping, or riding, seem to take it as a personal goal to ensure that every guest gets the maximum out of his or her stay. They are all warm and friendly all the time, something rarely found in the service sector.

The wranglers check that horse and rider are well suited and, during each ride, take steps to see that everything is safe and secure as well as ensuring that the guest is OK. I'd recommend getting involved in tacking up and grooming as it's a good way of bonding with your horse. It also adds another, satisfying dimension to the experience. However, if you don't want to, it won't be an issue; your horse will be ready for you when you go to mount up and it will be attended to afterwards.

There are some steep ascents and descents that can be challenging but the horses are sure-footed so don't be put off. I never felt unsafe. In fact, being a relatively new rider, I gained a great sense of achievement. The rides are at walking pace for the majority of the time, so that there is every opportunity to take in the views. However, now and then, a trot or canter of a few hundred yards might be possible. There are also breaks during all rides when riders can dismount to take a rest and allow the horses to do the same.

The two long rides towards the end of the week, ought not to be missed because they take the experience gained on the shorter rides to a new level in terms of not only riding but elevation too.

Novice or experienced riders will find the rides enjoyable for the pleasure of being off the beaten track. Indeed, you're so far off it that no traffic can be heard, let alone seen. You are, however, quite likely to see some wildlife which the wranglers will point out.

The country is stunningly beautiful and, this way, you get the chance to observe it at close quarters, just as you might on foot - except that you probably wouldn't get out of your car and walk into the areas accessed by the ranch horses.

New riders might like to do as I did and take some lessons before going to the ranch. It will avoid the disappointment of having to miss a ride whilst unused muscles become 'acclimatised'.

So, if you ever thought that you wanted to take this type of holiday but didn't do so, my advice would be to delay no longer. Book with the Lazy L & B. You won't be disappointed and you'll have the time of your life.

I have no connection with this business other than as a totally satisfied guest. If there was anything wrong with my stay it was that it should have been the last week of my holiday on the basis of 'save the best for last'. I'm already 90% decided to return next year.

Room Tip: Just take the one allocated to you and you'll be fine.