“Excellent Dude Ranch Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of T Cross Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dubois
T Cross Ranch
Sharon, Wisconsin
“Excellent Dude Ranch Experience”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I loved my time at the ranch! It was all the riding you could ask for! The cabin was cozy and clean, the food was outstanding! The staff was spectacular. Your every wish was their command. They were mostly young people, but polite and very attentive. The wranglers were awesome. They really knew what they were doing. They picked out our horses and they were right on the money. I really enjoyed every ride, where ever we went. Thank you Gretchen and Mark for sharing your beautiful ranch and awesome views with me. I will definitely be back!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Karen T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Cookeville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 12 January 2013

My wife and I have been to several ranches and this is not just “one of the best”… it the “THE BEST” – and that applies to the accommodations, meals, activities, and the staff that make it all possible. The accommodations are rustic, yet nicely furnished and very comfortable – especially after a hard day’s ride. I have horses and ride regularly at home in the East, but nothing compares to these rides. After several trips to the T Cross, there’s always something new to see and the wrangler staff does a great job in finding new adventures. Of course, not everyone is an expert rider, and Mark and Gretchen take great pains to match horse, rider, and wrangler with the week’s rides. And the food… great! Awesome hot breakfast (much more than I ever have at home), hot sandwiches and soup for lunch, and wonderful dinners (with appetizers at happy hour and too much dessert!), followed by watching the sunset on the porch. But don’t worry – you don’t gain too much weight – you’re too active for that to happen. I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the young people on staff – wranglers, servers, and housekeeping. Rarely do you see young people today with such character, manners and respect for others. It’s a real joy to be around the people at T Cross - we enjoy it every chance we get. Mark and Cathy T.

Room Tip: We.ve only stayed in one cabin, but have "peeked" in all of them. All are such great examp...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark T
tennessee
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We will be returning to the T-Cross for our 5th summer. My husband and I think about this trip all year and can't wait until the time arrives. The first time I came to the T-Cross I had never been on a horse and was scared to death. I was given private lessons and one on one with my wrangler and did great. My horse "Moon"is wonderful and carried me safely through all the beautiful trails and mountains. I did not expect to ride but now look forward to riding every year. The wranglers take great pride and caring for the guests and treat you like family and all the horses are all excellent. I have nothing but praise for the wranglers and they have a great responsibility in keeping everyone safe on the rides. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the staff, our wonderful cook and everyone would do anything you asked. Gretchen and Mark make you feel so at home that you feel like crying when you have to leave. My husband loves to shoot and they will take you anytime to do this. Many guests enjoy this sport but I just like watching them. Beautiful hiking trails and wildflowers abound the area. I always worry about weight gain when I go to the ranch because the food is excellent. Both my husband and I love the seclusion,
beauty and peace of the ranch. We have stayed in various cabins and each and everyone is unique and charming. I would recommend the T-Cross to everyone and we think its heaven on earth.

Room Tip: No bad cabins
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank suehbtennessee
Ramona, California
Reviewed 8 January 2013

This was my first dude ranch experience. Nice kitchen staff, but wranglers, other than the head wrangler, were quite arrogant. Overall the ranch doesn't cater to someone who actually knows how to ride. It's head-to-tail trail riding every day except for the gymkhana events one morning. There was a shooting range, but even though my husband expressed interest, no one bothered to offer to take him there. No one offered to help anyone try to learn roping, although there were practice ropes laid out and plastic cow heads. The wranglers were cracking bullwhips and excluded the guests. It may partially be due to my high expectations, but I ended up extremely disappointed. A host offering a "laid-back" vacation is fine, but this seemed to cross the line into the "we're not all that interested in making your vacation special" experience. The food was pretty good, the cabins rustic but okay. The best part was the scenery, although 1/3+ of the trees have been affected by some kind of pine beetle and are brown. For someone who has never ridden before or been exposed to this kind of lifestyle, I imagine it's amazing, but for me it just wasn't great.

Room Tip: This has nothing to do with the room, but if you're a good rider, LET THEM KNOW AHEAD OF TIME, a...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lisa S
Parker, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the ranch. Good food, great people and a wonderful natural landscape. Don't miss a ride to 5 Pockets. Gymkhana day in the ring is a blast. We went into town for the rodeo and competed in an event chasing down a calf and getting a rope off its neck. Big fun. We also went into town for square dance night which is not to be missed. The Sage Art Gallery in DuBois has some great artists if you are interested.

We saw some great wild life, but no moose, which was on our minds. We did see big horn sheep.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Santa Rosa, California, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I had been dreaming of returning to my cowgirl days since I had to sell my horse when I was in my late teens. Now at the age of 57, I thought I better make this dream a reality before I was physically unable to ride long distances in the mountains on horseback.
I spent many months researching dude ranches before I found the T-Cross Ranch. The T-Cross turned out to be better than anything I imagined. I booked my trip about 5 months before my reservation in the end of June 2012. I spent many hours joyfully planning my trip, researching cow boy boots, hats, flies for fishing etc.
Two days before my T-Cross trip started, I flew into Jackson Hole and spent 2 fun days there’s visiting the Tetons and hiking. I found a fantastic, healthy restaurant called the Lotus Café. I ate every meal there. The staff treated me like a friend every time they saw my smiling face at the door.
On Sunday, I began my journey to the T-Cross Ranch. The drive to Dubois was beautiful and the town itself was friendly and charming. The road to the T-Cross was visually spectacular, and well maintained. I rented an SUV for my trip but didn’t really need it, any vehicle would have gotten me there safely. Once I approached the hanging T + on the ranch gate I knew my long awaited dream was to begin.
At first glance, the ranch was stunning, the mountain views that ascended in front of my cabin (Ramshorn) were breathtaking. The authentic rustic, well maintained cabins and lodge were visions of the old west. I was so eager to begin my adventure at T-Cross that I arrived about three hours early. Even though, I was interrupting the chef, Jay, he stopped what he was doing and welcomed me with a big smile and friendly manner. That was exactly the attitude that every staff member showed me from that moment on and it never changed no matter what I requested or needed. As for the owners, Mark and Gretchen, they treated me like they had known me their whole life and made me feel like a family member. I was traveling alone but never felt alone at the T-Cross. I met other wonderful quest there that I continue to stay in touch with.
One of the most important things about this trip for me was not only being in a secluded wilderness area, which we were, but also I wanted to ride good, well trained horses. I can say without hesitation, that Mark and Gretchen have excellent horses, and wranglers. I felt safe on my horse, Two Eyed Jack, but also, Jack was athletic, responded to a light touch and rained beautifully. Our first trail ride on Monday, in the advanced group, was not a trail ride at all, it was a cross country ride, we spent very little time on the trail. I had an opportunity to guide my horse around and over trees, through rivers, up sloping mountains without breathing the dust of another horse in front of me. I couldn’t believe how quickly my body responded to being back on a horse. I loved every minute of it even when my joints were a bit achy and my behind at bit sore.
The scenery at the ranch and on horseback was better than I could have imagined. We never saw another human being on the trail, it was clear that we were in a secluded wilderness mountain range.
After several hours in the saddle, I really looked forward to all the meals at the T-Cross. It was a time for all the guests to get together and share stories about their lives and the day spent on horseback. The food was very good, mid-western style, a bit different then what I’m used to eating living in the San Francisco area but hearty and good tasting. I can say without hesitation, I never went hungry and the T-Cross.
Not only does the T-Cross provide superb riding experiences, but upon my request, Mark took me and a few other guests to the shooting range where we shot a number of really fine rifles and shotguns. I was amazed to see that I actually hit a clay pigeon on my second round. Mark, being a hunting guide, showed us all up, including retired Army Coronel “Bill” and blasted one pigeon twice in the air, not once but several times. As for the fly fishing, I went early in the summer, just after they opened and the trout were not running just yet. I plan on going next year, but will plan my trip later in the season, to hit the run.
I could go on and on about the T-Cross but suffice to say, that as I drove out the ranch road at the end of my stay, I welled up and tears began to run down my cheek, I was so moved by the friendships I formed, the beauty of the ranch and surrounding wilderness and the kindness that everyone showed me at the T-Cross. I am already planning my trip back next year and hoping to bring friends and family with me.
By the way, I loved my clean, cozy log cabin, the bed was very comfortable, the sheets and towels were of high quality and the water that came out of the sink faucet was cold and some of the best water I’ve ever drank. I filled my water can with T-Cross water every day and drank it all day long, fantastic. I only wish I could have taken it home on the plane with me!
If you’re looking to get away from the crowds (T-Cross limits guest to 25 per week), and looking for an authentic western ranch, the T-Cross is the real deal. Stop searching, you’ve found the best Wyoming has to offer at the T-Cross.

Kathy Aird

Room Tip: All the cabins are in wonderful quiet locations. They sleep diffrent amounts of people so you need...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Kathy A
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My wife and I recently returned from a wonderful trip to T Cross, thanks to our two children and their spouses, in celebration of our 40th wedding anniversary. While we both did some riding many years ago, we felt that several lessons were appropriate before we ventured into the wilds of Wyoming. Well, those three hours in the saddle in a horse ring and down a dirt road in Florida certainly helped, but the riding at the ranch far surpassed anything we could imagine! Being the only inexperienced riders among most of the other 14 guests (one was fly-fishing only), we were both encouraged and nourished by the two young (outstanding) cowboys and our fellow dudes to go for it--and we did! If you're not comfortable with the length or difficulty of the planned ride, the staff will tone it down with one more suited to your abilities. Having said that, we completed a fairly difficult ride up to "Hole in the Wall" with the regulars, and wore it as a badge of honor all week! Couldn't stop looking at the top of that rugged peak all week, knowing we did it...

We were greeted at check in by Mark Cardall, ranch manager, and were immediately impressed by his warmth, personal bearing and instant credibility. He was our definition of a real cowboy from the outset--just google his resume, to be blown away with where he's been and what he's done! His wife and partner, Gretchen, had taken their two young children back home to school, but we got to meet this lovely lady later in the week. Mark takes deep pride in his ranch, his staff and their way of life--limiting the number of guests to no more than 24 each week (we had 16) makes the experience very personal, indeed. You really get to know everyone that week. I just couldn't imagine going to a ranch that can accommodate 150 or more...in addition to riding every day, I learned to fly fish, and loved pulling in those beautiful brook trout! Favorite times included the cowboy singer, dinner cookout down at the creek, our own Gymkana rodeo, Friday evening wagon ride, and the satisfying feeling of pride in becoming at least a "momentary" cowboy.

I liken the scenery and presence at the T Cross to visiting the Grand Canyon--any and every where you look is just picture-postcard perfect. The culmination point of each ride leaves you breathless with the beauty of God's creation. Sounds cliche', but very true. Be prepared for rustic--but clean and comfortable--cabins. Be prepared to become immersed in a primitive wilderness experience on challenging rides during which you may not see another road, much less have any cars pass you by. Be prepared for great meals, personable staff and quiet evenings on your own front porch. Be prepared to welcome a new respect for the horses and the cowboy way of life.

You won't reget your choice of the T Cross for a truly unforgettable experience. I only hope that we have the opportunity to return in the near future.

Room Tip: It was a long walk to our cabin (Trail Creek) from the corral after a long day in the saddle. Reque...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple