“A Snooze with Z-Bears”
Review of Black Bear Inn

Black Bear Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Dubois
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed at the Black Bear Inn and took a step back to a simpler time when staying at a road side Inn was run by people and not corporations . Our room was very sweet with all the touches of a time long ago and all the cleanliness we all want and expect. The Inn is unique as well as charmingly unexpected and we are very happy we spent the night . It didn't take long for us to realize that what makes the Black Bear Inn so special is Liz ,who owns and runs the place. She is a person we will not soon forget . Her hand can be seen everywhere on the grounds ,which are neat as a pin, to the attention and warm welcome she offers each guest . We feel privileged to have met this amazing woman and to have been her guest for one memorable night in September . Thank you so much Liz ! Bear Hugs!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
LizFurman, Manager at Black Bear Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thanks so much for your kind review. :0) Made my whole day. Not sure how I didn't see these last couple reviews. We hope you will come see us again. God Speed! Liz (for the Bear)

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Although billed as nonsmoking, the room I stayed in smelled like a VFW bar. It did serve to mask the odor of the mold obviously growing in bathroom. Could not wait to get out of there. Would have left immediately if there was another room available in town. While some may find the teddy bears and rubber ducks charming, I found them tacky and adding to the already cramped feel of the room. Also not a fan of the abundance of Christian literature in room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Michael P
LizFurman, Owner at Black Bear Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Michael,
We were so sad to see this post. All of our rooms are non smoking rooms. Once in a while smokers rent them and smoke near the door but I don't know how it could smell like a VFW bar. I so wish you would have alerted us to the problem. We could have moved you to another room. As for the mold, I almost died from a mold encounter in my home in Denver a few years ago so we are diligent to prevent and terrified of the stuff. Not sure where you saw mold but we will check again, as we do daily, to make sure we do not play host to ANY mold. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Travel Safe. Liz (for the BEAR)

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We recently spent one day at Black Bear Inn before heading to Yellowstone National Park and we had a very positve experience. Liz did a nice job by making my family & I feel welcome. The smores by the lake were a nice touch. I personaly loved that the room had a home like feel even though it was not very big.I felt it was clean and it met all our needs. The price was good it was close enough to go see the Grand Titon and Yellowstone. I would recommend it and stay their again. Thank you Ms. Liz

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Irmgard H
LizFurman, Owner at Black Bear Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Thanks so much! We loved having you. Come back any time. :0)
We so appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

Liz makes sure each guest is very well taken care of at her Inn. She takes the extra steps and always offers to assist and help in any way. Liz makes friends and not just as "customer" but as a true guest in her summer home. Thank you Ms. Liz...

• Stayed: July 2013
LizFurman, Owner at Black Bear Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Wow! Aren't you guys nice? Thanks so much, we love having you. So blessed to have your family here. You make it S'MORE fun! ;0)

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed only for one night during a recent road-trip. The room was clean, comfortable and charmingly decorated with teddy bears, rubber ducks and other homey touches. LOVED the towels (thick and fluffy, not your usual industrial types). The young man who checked me in was friendly and helpful, and the price was right. Would definitely stay here again.

Two small things to note - the room did not have air-conditioning, and it was very warm (high 90s/low 100s) when I was passing through. Luckily, the windows created a cross breeze and it cooled down enough for a decent night's sleep. However, if temperature is an issue, you may want to consider another motel with a/c. Also, there is Christian literature prominently featured in the room. Not an issue for me, but others may find it uncomfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Mary B
LizFurman, Owner at Black Bear Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thanks for the review Mary!
We appreciate it. Sorry about the temp. Only one motel in Dubois has A/C as we don't usually need it. Fans and windows are usually all that is needed, but we have had a couple hot days this summer, sorry you landed here on one of those. I will show my son what you said about him. :0)
Come see us again!

Reviewed 11 October 2012

Myself, my boys and my Mom stayed in the beginning of June 2012. I think we might have been the first customers of the season. There were a few things that we had issues with. When we told Liz, she jumped right to it to make everything fabulous. It was an incredible stay. Liz is the most wonderful hostess. Liz gave us tourist tips and made us feel like family. My boys loved her dog Temo. We loved the bonfire and smores. Where else to you go and have fresh sheets put on your bed that were hung outside in the fresh air. I just emailed Liz to let her know the wonderful time we had. Months later and we are still excited we stayed there. We are planning on going back in 2014 and The Black Bear Inn is where we will be staying. I feel like driving back there right now! Liz seems more like a friend than a motel owner. Christine H and family. Green Bay, WI GO PACK GO

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
LizFurman, Owner at Black Bear Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2012

Thanks so much Christine and Family! We look forward to seeing you next summer. LORD willing.
But I would wait 'till the summer. Fall is gorgeous in Dubois but winter...brrr! Unless you are a "snowmobiler". Hugs!
Liz

Reviewed 8 October 2012

First off we love Wyoming!! We had a family trip with brothers, sister-in-laws and nieces and nephews. After backpacking we all stayed at the Black Bear Inn!! What a great place!! Our room was very clean and comfortable.The best part was how welcome we felt by Liz and her family. Liz kept us filled with fresh water each day because she was concerned that we may get altitude sickness since we are all from low altitude Ohio. She also shared the most amazing peaches that we enjoyed on our long drive home. The stay was just wonderful. We used it as a base camp while we visited Yellowstone and Jackson. We could have spent more time in Dubois. It was a neat town that was not too touristy and we could have spent more time fishing too. When we come back we will defiantly plan to stay at the Black Bear Inn!! Thanks Liz!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Trilabby
LizFurman, Owner at Black Bear Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2012

Thanks! We loved having you. Definitely come back and fish in and around Dubois. Micah caught a big one with his bare hands in August while inner tubing down the river.(See pic on our Facebook page ;0)