“Decent room for a resonable price”

EconoLodge Evanston
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Evanston
Reviewed 7 November 2011

After checking the web for the prices, I was ready to not stay here but then their sign said, New Lower rates or something like that so I stopped and asked and was pleased that the price was $37, less than the price of Motel 6, where I had stayed the night before and was ready to stay at again. The room was fine, the shower clean and hot and the TV.

The exterior door on the south side would not open with my key so I had to walk through the lobby each time. Not a big deal, but was a surprise when I was loaded down with luggage.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JRC417
Evanston_Econolodge, General Manager at EconoLodge Evanston, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to leave a review.

I'm sorry the outside door was a problem for you, it has issues in the winter. When the temperature consistently stays below about 20 degrees, and then the wind and snow on top of that, causes it to stick. We are working on a plan for creating stairs on the inside of the building, and then framing that outside door to protect it some from the harsh Wyoming winters.

There are newer reviews for EconoLodge Evanston

Reviewed 7 October 2011

We made reservations for this hotel through Choicehotels.com. It was convenient and the reviews were not that bad, so we made a reservation for a non-smoking room. When we got to the hotel, (after the deadline to cancel and not have to pay), the man at the desk said we had made a reservation for a smoking room, but he changed it when we told him absolutely not. We were given a room upstairs but it was across the hall from a smoking room. The next morning our room stunk like smoke and it smelled so bad of smoke in the hallway that I could hardly stand it. The room was ok, but you could tell it had been a smoking room. There were burn marks in the bedspreads, the pillows stunk like smoke and there were burn marks in the bathroom. The lobby was filthy and the breakfast room filthy, not much for breakfast either. It did have hot water for coffee and tea. I would not recommend this to anyone unless you need something cheap and can deal with smoke smell. I would never stay here again. I'd pay twice the price and stay at the comfort inn.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank actnew
Evanston_Econolodge, General Manager at EconoLodge Evanston, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2011

I think the slip in the title really says it all. The title actually says to stay here if you want something clean...

I'm sorry for the problems with the smoke smell. Unfortunately on the night you were here, we had a guest that kept smoking down the hall from you, with his door open. He also kept going down to the ice machine with his lit cigarette. After talking to him several times, I had to ask him to leave. As a non-smoker I'm also very sensitive to smoke, and don't tolerate that type of behavior. We are planning to eliminate smoking from the hotel entirely in the near future.

I have never seen our lobby "filthy" in the entire time I've worked here. During inclement weather some of our guests will track in debris from outside, and it is always cleaned as soon as possible. Unfortunately for the breakfast room, some of our guests don't clean up after themselves when they make a mess, and you'll have to pay quite a bit more for a full time breakfast attendant. We do try to clean up after guests when possible, but naturally mornings are our busy times.

I'm not sure what you expect from a "Continental Breakfast", but we have two kinds of cereal, mini-muffins, sticky buns, waffles, wheat bread, and bagels. We have coffee, orange and apple juice, and milk. We always have hot water for coffee, tea, or anything else you'd like to use it for. There's a red hot water spigot on the coffee machine (the same location most all coffee machines have one), and had you asked we would have been happy to point it out to you. It would be silly not to have hot water, since we have tea bags, and decaf instant coffee supplied in our breakfast room as well.

I'm sorry you're stay was frustrating and not up to our usual standards. I hope you'll give us another chance to show you that wasn't the norm.

Reviewed 24 July 2011

The motel is located across the street from a nice pathway that takes you along the Bear River and the Ice Ponds (not icy in the summer). There are row boats available for rent if you want to paddle around the ponds.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank LoneGuzzi

Thanks for your kind words.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we'll look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 22 July 2011

This older hotel has been remodeled and is great for the price. Quiet, clean rooms, friendly staff, and easy access to Walmart and several restaurants. I loved walking along the Bear Paw Rver in the evenings. There is also a computer room equiped with a printer for business purposes; and printing is free. Manager is on site- so things get done efficiently.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank CarolineOYM

Thank you for your kind review. I love the river walk as well, its very pleasant, and the city has done a great job with it.

I'm glad you got a chance to use our business center, I know many people bring a laptop, tablet, or smart phone these days, so its always nice to hear that people still use the computer in there and find it convenient.

Reviewed 10 June 2011

Granted, my wife and I were looking for a simple, no-frills place to lay our heads on our trip back from Portland. Still, the hotel looked like government subsidized housing, the clerk made me wait until he had completed a housekeeping report before he checked me in (and did not talk to me until it was done to explain why I was waiting) and the bed was like plywood with a thick quilt for padding. I scoped on the other options in the town and think I will try the Best Western next time as it looked very respectable. If you are pinching pennies, this place is okay, but you really get what you pay for (or maybe a little less?)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Good, basic motel. We felt safe. The room was clean. Not far from downtown. No complaints.
Pet friendly too.
Only drawback - the heating/cooling unit is one of those that has no thermostat so you have to turn it on/off as you get warm/cold.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yellowtrike
Evanston_Econolodge, General Manager at EconoLodge Evanston, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2011

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I apologize that you had a problem with the heating/cooling unit in your room. All of the heating/cooling units in the rooms are currently equipped with a thermostat allowing you adjust the temperature to your liking.

Thank you again for your kind words, and I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2009

I booked a night here via Hotwire, which proclaimed I was purchasing a night at La Quinta, Comfort Inn, Days Inn "or equivalent reputable hotel chains" (or some such language). This facility in no way measures up to the motels/hotels of these other chains on the other side of town. I suspect if you book through Hotwire you will always get this place. It is pretty awful. The people were nice enough and the room clean enough. But it is clearly the very low rent district. If you need a cheap night's stay, be sure to book directly from the motel's own web site (Americas Best Value Inn & Suites). You'll save $10/night over Hotwire.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Double0Seven

I'm sorry that you had a problem with booking your stay via Hotwire. Hopefully by now they've fixed that problem, and you have a better idea of where you're staying. Since your stay many things have changed including management, brand (we're now an Econo Lodge) and several renovations.

I hope you'll give us another chance in the future to fulfill your lodging needs.