“Outdated, loud”

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Evanston
Omaha, Nebraska
“Outdated, loud”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We reserved this room ahead of time knowing we would be staying after a 13 hour drive. We went cheap knowing we wouldn't have time to take advantage of any amenities. The bathroom was up-to-date and clean. The rest of the room was outdated. It had old hunter green carpet and an old bed with flat pillows. We fell asleep at 11 pm and were woken several times by the train, cars starting in a parking lot out back, what sounded like an after bar closing party above us, and vacuuming in the morning. In other words thin walls. Breakfast had cereal, toast, toaster waffles, frozen bagels, packaged muffins. No fruit or yogurt. You get what you pay for. I didn't get bedbugs, would have gotten plenty of sleep if not for party, and got breakfast at McDonalds for $5.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank A_from_Midtown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
michigan
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We were stranded as highway 80 closed to the East. The Econolodge room was small but adequate for our needs. The linnens were clean but threadbare with a few holes.. but it was clean enough to meet my standards. We were comfortable and slept well. There was a refrigerator in the room but we didn't use it as we were just there for the night and left early in the morning. The breakfast was adequate but the milk and things weren't refrigerated. The price was fairly low for the 2 adults at $44.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Evanston_Econolodge, General Manager at EconoLodge Evanston, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review.

I have passed on your comments to the owner, who has promised us new bedding will be ordered soon.

Thank you for your concern about the milk. The pitcher that the milk sits in is somewhat deceptive in appearance. It may not look like the milk is being kept cold, but the lid of the pitcher actually has an ice core that sits down in the center of the container keeping the milk cold for several hours. We have more then one, so if we had a particularly warm day, I'll swap out the lid with another, to make sure the milk stays cold and doesn't sour.

Thanks again for staying with us, and hopefully the next time you're in town, it won't be because you were stranded.
Roy, Utah, United States
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stay here every year, for the last 4 years now over Memorial Weekend. I really like it, I love the river walk way across the street, the continental breakfast, the upgrades they have been doing and the price is great! I can walk to main street from here. I don't need to spend hundreds of dollars to sleep and take a shower somewhere, this is just the place for me. I have always had AMAZING service. I would not stay anywhere else in Evanston!
LG

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank 1Hippiechic
Thank you so much for your kind words, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again on Memorial Day!
Western USA
Reviewed 7 November 2011

After checking the web for the prices, I was ready to not stay here but then their sign said, New Lower rates or something like that so I stopped and asked and was pleased that the price was $37, less than the price of Motel 6, where I had stayed the night before and was ready to stay at again. The room was fine, the shower clean and hot and the TV.

The exterior door on the south side would not open with my key so I had to walk through the lobby each time. Not a big deal, but was a surprise when I was loaded down with luggage.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JRC417
Evanston_Econolodge, General Manager at EconoLodge Evanston, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to leave a review.

I'm sorry the outside door was a problem for you, it has issues in the winter. When the temperature consistently stays below about 20 degrees, and then the wind and snow on top of that, causes it to stick. We are working on a plan for creating stairs on the inside of the building, and then framing that outside door to protect it some from the harsh Wyoming winters.
Michigan
Reviewed 7 October 2011

We made reservations for this hotel through Choicehotels.com. It was convenient and the reviews were not that bad, so we made a reservation for a non-smoking room. When we got to the hotel, (after the deadline to cancel and not have to pay), the man at the desk said we had made a reservation for a smoking room, but he changed it when we told him absolutely not. We were given a room upstairs but it was across the hall from a smoking room. The next morning our room stunk like smoke and it smelled so bad of smoke in the hallway that I could hardly stand it. The room was ok, but you could tell it had been a smoking room. There were burn marks in the bedspreads, the pillows stunk like smoke and there were burn marks in the bathroom. The lobby was filthy and the breakfast room filthy, not much for breakfast either. It did have hot water for coffee and tea. I would not recommend this to anyone unless you need something cheap and can deal with smoke smell. I would never stay here again. I'd pay twice the price and stay at the comfort inn.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank actnew
Evanston_Econolodge, General Manager at EconoLodge Evanston, responded to this review, 9 October 2011
I think the slip in the title really says it all. The title actually says to stay here if you want something clean...

I'm sorry for the problems with the smoke smell. Unfortunately on the night you were here, we had a guest that kept smoking down the hall from you, with his door open. He also kept going down to the ice machine with his lit cigarette. After talking to him several times, I had to ask him to leave. As a non-smoker I'm also very sensitive to smoke, and don't tolerate that type of behavior. We are planning to eliminate smoking from the hotel entirely in the near future.

I have never seen our lobby "filthy" in the entire time I've worked here. During inclement weather some of our guests will track in debris from outside, and it is always cleaned as soon as possible. Unfortunately for the breakfast room, some of our guests don't clean up after themselves when they make a mess, and you'll have to pay quite a bit more for a full time breakfast attendant. We do try to clean up after guests when possible, but naturally mornings are our busy times.

I'm not sure what you expect from a "Continental Breakfast", but we have two kinds of cereal, mini-muffins, sticky buns, waffles, wheat bread, and bagels. We have coffee, orange and apple juice, and milk. We always have hot water for coffee, tea, or anything else you'd like to use it for. There's a red hot water spigot on the coffee machine (the same location most all coffee machines have one), and had you asked we would have been happy to point it out to you. It would be silly not to have hot water, since we have tea bags, and decaf instant coffee supplied in our breakfast room as well.

I'm sorry you're stay was frustrating and not up to our usual standards. I hope you'll give us another chance to show you that wasn't the norm.

Travellers are raving about these Evanston hotels

Washington State
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The motel is located across the street from a nice pathway that takes you along the Bear River and the Ice Ponds (not icy in the summer). There are row boats available for rent if you want to paddle around the ponds.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank LoneGuzzi
Thanks for your kind words.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and we'll look forward to seeing you again.
Lake Ozark, Missouri
Reviewed 22 July 2011

This older hotel has been remodeled and is great for the price. Quiet, clean rooms, friendly staff, and easy access to Walmart and several restaurants. I loved walking along the Bear Paw Rver in the evenings. There is also a computer room equiped with a printer for business purposes; and printing is free. Manager is on site- so things get done efficiently.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank CarolineOYM
Thank you for your kind review. I love the river walk as well, its very pleasant, and the city has done a great job with it.

I'm glad you got a chance to use our business center, I know many people bring a laptop, tablet, or smart phone these days, so its always nice to hear that people still use the computer in there and find it convenient.