“Wish we'd tried 'em sooner!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Dave's Meats and Catering
Ranked #14 of 45 Restaurants in Evanston
Cuisines: American
Evanston, Wyoming
“Wish we'd tried 'em sooner!”
Reviewed 3 November 2011

This place was a pleasant surprise indeed. We always thought Dave's was kind of an old-school butcher shop, dressed game the hunters brought in, etc. My partner was doing some work on the Painted Lady Saloon (coolest bar in Evanston by the way) next door and was looking for a lunch option I could just grab and bring over to him. A friend had said that Dave's had a daily lunch special. I was expecting a cold sandwich, bag of chips and a soda, but instead we got two big toasted sandwiches, AND a cup of soup (2 varieties to choose from, so tried them both) and yes, a bag of chips too, all for a very reasonable price. I had a gyro, which came with cucumber sauce that was fresh and flavorful, and to my utter delight not cut with mayonnaise (YUCK CITY!) like I've seen some other places try to pawn off. My partner had a beef and cheddar which was prepared on Texas-toast size wheat bread (that tasted homemade) with fried onions. We were most satisfied with not only the food, but the value, about $7 each including tax for a lot of food. The service was friendly and efficient. Indeed, the lady behind the counter was putting together a large order for a work crew before we came in and didn't even blink about it.

As mentioned, Dave's is also a butcher/meat shop who does catering for parties, and they can also put together what they call a "freezer plan:" you choose from a list of meats, poultry, seafood, game, and other meets, all frozen and hermetically sealed and for X amount of $$ you get your freezer filled with several months' supply of meats. My partner crunched the numbers and it's a pretty good deal for those with the $$ who want to have their meats stocked up for a season.

Only downside: no indoor dining space to speak of; they have a couple of tables outside, but during Wyoming's notoriously cold winter you wouldn't want to sit there. However, during the more temperate seasons, you have Historic Depot Square just around the corner, and the Bear River Greenway just down the road - all with nice benches. Also, I think they're closed on Monday.

• Visited October 2011