“Terrible!”

JB's Family Restaurant
Ranked #32 of 48 Restaurants in Evanston
Cuisines: American
Description: Restaurant is located right next door to the Days Inn hotel in Evanston.
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This place was recommended by the inept desk clerk at the Super 8 motel up the street.

When I walked in, I was quickly greeted by my hostess, who would also turn out to be my server. Another patron had just been served Spaghetti and Meatballs, and that sounded pretty good.

My salad was cheerfully served and not bad at all. After about 3 minutes, my entree arrived. This is NOT acceptable when your patron has barely even started his salad. The spaghetti had three meatballs that were burned. How do you burn meatballs? The sauce was outrageously salty, making this some of the worst spaghetti I ever tried. As a postscript, the woman at the next table sent her spaghetti back. The manager cheerfully credited her bill and she left without dining. Wish I did!

Lousy restaurant. Criminally inept hotel. Thinking of stopping in Evanston? KEEP DRIVING!

1  Thank horizonbound

Reviewed 6 May 2014

The food was good. The service was fine. The place was very clean.
Salad bar was so-so.
We were there at 5 p.m. and there wasn't a crowd.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

JB’s breakfast menu is excellent. We had breakfast prior to leaving town and ordered the stuffed French toast. Probably ½ a day’s calories in one meal but once in a while it is SO worth it. The service was friendly and folksy also.

1  Thank foto_monkey
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Excellent front end gal.. Working during her vacation from Westminster College...Took sandwich and salad bar back to the hotel.. All extras in the bag...French dip sandwich hot and tasty.. Salad bar with plentiful options.. to include 3 soup choices..

1  Thank lynneelu
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Well, when you eat at JB's I hope you know what to expect. This is diner food through and through. Breakfast all day, more limited choices for lunch and dinner.

We went in for lunch. Our server was very nice and prompt. Kept our drinks refilled. The food was good. The french dip sandwich was tasty and served with a really good au jus. The grilled cheese was perfectly cooked and the sweet potato fries were awesome.

So, if you're driving through Evanston and want a solid inexpensive place to eat, try JB's.