“A great stop!”

Fort Bridger State Historic Site
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Established in 1843 by Jim Bridger and Louis Vasquez as a trading post for travelers along the Overland Trails. Between 1853 and 1857 it was a Mormon Trading Post for emigrants to Utah. From 1857 to 1890 it was a US Army Post with several companies of infantry assigned to frontier protection. In addition to an authentic reconstruction of the Bridger-Vasquez fort, many historic structures from the military period still exist on site and are open for tours daily 9-5 from May 1 through September 30. In the off season from October 1 to April 30, the Museum building and grounds are open Fri-Sun 9-5 (weather permitting).
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Vancouver
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A great stop!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

On Hwy 80 a great stop is good to know about. I decided to stop at Ft. Bridger since I like history. I wasn't disappointed. There were reenactors in at least two locations who were very well informed and easy to talk with. The replica of the original Ft. Bridger trading post also had items for sale, so it felt like you had stepped back in time to be part of the action. There is a huge museum with a 30-minute film, many displays, interactive computer displays and maps. I am very glad i stopped.

Visited August 2014
3 Thank Kay E

England, United Kingdom
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“What a gem”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stumbled across this lovely attraction by chance. The site has been lovingly care for and the staff were very approachable and knowledgable. As Brits abroad, we only knew a little of the history of the area and we came away with a far greater understanding and respect for the pioneers/people who travelled through and worked in this fascinating landscape. I urge you to visit this lovely museum and venue, it deserves your attention, as do the dedicated staff.

Visited August 2014
Cabool, Missouri
101 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Great stop on long road trip”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stopped at Fort Bridger, toured all of the original buildings, then toured the reconstructed Fort Bridger, found all of the history, very interesting.

Visited July 2014
The Villages, Florida
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Extremely friendly people very knowledgable about history of he fort”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Unfortunately we were not here for one of there celebrations and we really stumbled on this place while driving on I-80 heading back home after a 2 month trip out West including the Lewis and Clark trail from St Louis to Oregon . From the time I pulled up to the admission gate where I meet one of the nicest men-found out later he was the father of a person in the gift shop and our guide through the exhibit-but he was so freely giving us information I felt like I saw the Fort before we started. The fort was somewhat spread out and not as easy to negotiate as I was using a walker and a lot of the trails were gravel but much was easy to get to by car- The daughter in the Gift shop exhibit center was very knowledge about the fort and made you feel like you were living the age-I was unable to get to the old fort because of walkways which I hope they someday pave as I really would nave liked to get there. The buildings were well keep up and in the old store was a young lady who also was very knowledgeable of the activities in the old fort The fort also had history of the Oregon Trail which we had started on once we got into Oregon and was a part of it-

Visited June 2014
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Don't miss! Worth your time and very interesting.”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We were surprised there was so much to see and learn at Fort Bridger. Only 3 miles from I-80.
Great historic site! We are pioneer trail history buffs, yet we learned a lot that was new to us, Take the time to watch the short film in the museum visitor center. Site is open April - Oct, but from June to Labor Day, costumed interpreters in various buildings gladly share their knowledge if you ask questions.
You can buy great souvenirs in the trading post, very interesting and affordable - beyond the usual trinkets for children. For example, the "trade bead" necklaces hanging from ceiling are authentic. Some are antique, like the cobalt blue and venetian glass beads, and being sold at very low prices. (We were in the bead business for 15 years and we were impressed!)
Plan on at least an hour, up to several hours. Good family outing.
A great place to stop and stretch, with restrooms, water fountain. Picnic area - bring your own food & drink. No overnight camping.
NOTE - this is a Wyoming STATE site, so national park pass, including Golden Eagle, does not apply. There is discount for Wyoming residents.

Visited June 2014