“If the Website Advertises 'Economical and Rustic', Run” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jackson Hole Lodge

Jackson Hole Lodge
Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Jackson
Telluride, Colorado
“If the Website Advertises 'Economical and Rustic', Run”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

Business travel is tough - my company will only pay a certain amount per night. Jackson is so popular in the summer that the rates for even the most substandard lodging are astronomical. I made my reservations late, and had a limited number of properties to choose from . Since this one was within walking distance to Town Square, I hit submit.

I opened the door to a musty odor. The place is old and outdated. The weird bookcase things that surrounded the headboard were odd. The carpet had strange wet spots and came and went by the door, like some sort of poltergeist. I had a wood burning fireplace but dang, I left a cord of wood at home. There is a charge to dial even a toll free number. The cleaning staff didn't empty my trash every day and I got one bath towel, one face cloth and one hand towel per day. If they are afraid guests will run off with those, they can forget about it. You can get that same set for a couple of bucks at the dollar store - and more plush to boot.

If you have to choose this place, the upside is that the front desk staff is super friendly and housekeeping makes the bed quickly. There is an indoor pool and the hot tubs are large. Its also within walking distance of Town Square, so you don't have to navigate traffic and pedestrians or worry about driving home after a few drinks at nice downtown restaurants. And if you just need a place to flop after a long day in court, at least its clean and the bed was comfy.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor. Both front and back face streets, but you can see Snow King from a back room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Secretariat1973
Stuart L, General Manager at Jackson Hole Lodge, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
It sounds like some positive resulted from your stay. Thank you for mentioning the front desk staff and housekeeping's quick bed making abilities. Due to limited storage, extra linens and wash cloths are stored in the cabinet under the bathroom sink. This sometimes goes unnoticed. Regarding the bedside shelves, we are in the initial stages of removing them and recarpeting.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

I think they need to concentrate on updating their rooms rather than redoing their lobby! Our room was musty and the carpet was wet by the door. I didn't even feel like walking on the carpet. Would rather have slept in my vehicle. Not my idea of an expensive hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank MontanaBJ
Ocassionally our housekeepers are presented with cleaning challenges that require extra muscle power. We do our best to extract water from carpets after shampooing, however with the heightened pace of summer we are sometimes caught off guard. Sorry you had to experience wet carpet underfoot. Please give us a second chance and by all means contact me directly. Thank you for your feedback.

Travellers are raving about these Jackson hotels

Heidelberg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

Check that your deposit is credited correctly on your bill!

The room was really dated and dirty. The AC unit sounded like it was about to fall apart. It was a pet room, so I was charged an extra $10 (actually $20 because I was overcharged) for the filth and deferred maintenance.

When I called to book, I was given an estimate of $153.64 + $12.29 taxes. The $153.64 was charged immediately as a deposit. However, on the final statement the deposit was listed as $143.64 ($10 less than what I was actually charged). The effect was I was overcharged by $10. Oh well, mistakes like these happen.

When I called to clear this up, the receptionist was very defensive and kept coming up with excuses like, "reservations just does that," "reservations only charged you $143.64," (not true based on my bank statement and their reservation confirmation) and finally "that's a pet fee." Fine, whatever, just post my deposit as the right amount... So I'm filing a dispute with Mastercard.

You have other options. Stay somewhere else. It's not worth the hassle and the dirty room.

Room Tip: Request that you not be put into any pet rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank odessa131
Sounds like there was some confusion regarding the room deposit and $10.00 pet fee. I'm sorry that was not spelled out more clearly. At the end of the day we dropped the ball and you suffered. I assure you that this is not how we typically do business. Great training tool. Thank you and please accept my sincere apology.
Near DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

Ratings and photos suggest big differences from one room to another. We had a second-floor room in the 200 building which cost about $200 per night. The room was dark with little light from the one window. The bathroom was tiny and badly in need of renovation and updating. There was a small but complete kitchen that we didn't need. The room had one queen-size bed which is pretty minimal by today's hotel standards.

Whether you think the location is convenient to downtown depends on your personal preferences. The reviewer who said "long but easy walk" had it right IMHO.
Street noise in the room wasn't too bad.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Stuart L, General Manager at Jackson Hole Lodge, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We do have a wide range of room types with bedding packages that range from single queens to kings. You stayed is a Deluxe Queen Suite and although you had no need for a kitchen many of our guests on extended stays find them very useful. On your next visit to Jackson please call me ahead of time and I will be happy to help you find accommodations, that fit your needs, either here or at a neighboring property.
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

We loved our stay in the Jackson Hole Lodge! The one bedroom suite is very spacious and comfortable, including a FULL size kitchen. It is about two blocks to the beginning of the town square, not at all bad to walk there. Across the street is a Sports Authority and Ace Hardware, across another street is the best Dollar Store I've ever been in. You can get just about anything you need there!

The property is being renovated (July 2013) but they are very aware of the noise and never start pounding before 9 AM. The rooms are much nicer than the outside appears.

There is a little noise from the streets (it is a corner property), but I would expect you'd have that at any hotel in the downtown area.

Christy and Stuart were very helpful and gracious. If you can do the one bedroom suite I would. If you are staying in the hotel rooms you may want another closer to town. I think the pricing would be very comparable to a lot of other properties, but check the amenities as most of the hotels in the downtown will not have the pool and spa that this property has.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sandra K
Sounds like you had a great Jackson Hole experience. The road construction on Broadway is wrapping up and the project is really taking shape. Being a downtown property, depending on what's going on in town, it can be a little noisey. Thank you for mentioning our great location. Hope to see you again on a future visit.
San Luis Obispo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed two nights in a 2nd floor suite and were very pleased. The kitchen was well appointed and had everything we needed. A huge whirlpool bathtub, two TV's and very comfortable decor made the accomodations very livable. The indoor pool area was top notch with two whirlpools, a lap pool, showers and locker room. Our only complaint was the noisey road construction from 8 to 5 but that should be completed soon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank James J
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Just spent three days, two nights at the Jackson Hole Lodge. On entry, was initially disappointed since construction in the area prohibited easy access. Shared my disappointment with Christy and Stuart at the reception desk. They were quite gracious, handling my complaint with complete professionalism. They explained their situation and upgraded our room! The accommodations were clean, neat. Close enough to sites we visited. Would return when up in the area.

Room Tip: Just keep in mind that entry will be a challenge
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family