“Loved it and highly recommend!”
Review of The Wort Hotel

The Wort Hotel
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Jackson
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego
“Loved it and highly recommend!”
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I was so impressed with the Wort Hotel from the amazing location, right in the heart of downtown Jackson, a block from the center square, to the rustic decor and amazing staff!! This hotel is part of the National Historic Hotels and has been recently renovated. My boyfriend and I went for a a 5 night stay and we felt right at home. We were within walking distance of great restaurants and nightlife!! The hotel provides a shuttle bus up to Teton Village for skiing and will take care of reserving other activities, if interested.

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iheartmt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Norway
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We got a big, nice room with two queen beds. The hotel is located right in the center of Jackson. We were impressed with the cleanliness of the rooms. The housekeeping would even fold our clothes and put them away every day! :-) The breakfast (free), served in the hotel restaurant was also excellent!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EVO1234
Tetonia, Idaho
Reviewed 15 November 2008

As a former hotel executive, I didn't know what to expect when my husband and I made a last minute decision to get away last night when our power went out. My husband found a "locals" package at the Wort Hotel which included 1 night's lodging, dinner for 2, and movie passes for 2 for $119 total (not per person). Since we live on the other side of the mountain pass from Jackson, it was an only an hour's drive away.

We were given a very quiet room on the top floor (207). The helpful desk clerk told us that the 59 rooms at the Wort have gone through a recent renovation. The place is beautiful! The furniture was all handmade and studded with actual old silver dollars. It was very obvious that much thought was given to the decor. From the Starbucks coffee in the room, to the generous supply of Aveda amenities, free bottled water (a rareity anymore!), "recycle or waste" trash containers, FREE internet, upscale linens and thick towels, we felt incredibly spoiled.

Since part of our package included dinner for 2 at the adjoining Silver Dollar Grill restaurant, we were worried that we would be limited to a plain burger and maybe jello for dessert. We were totally suprised when our waiter told us that although we were both limited to 2 course meals, we could order anything on the menu. For my 1st course, I ordered the unbelievable (and "famous", it was featured in Bon Appetit magazine) corn chowder. I was not disappointed! It was simply the best I've ever had with potato and bacon chunks, creamy sauce and lots of corn, all covered with a thick melted piece of cheddar and homemade croutons. By the way, they will give you the recipe if you ask. My 2nd course was a beef tenderloin filet with a cherry/cabernet reduction. It was incredibly tender and tasty! I paid for dessert, a homemade apple/caramel pie ala mode which I would eat every day if possible (and would not cause weight gain!!!). My husband ordered a caesar salad and blackened Idaho trout, which, unfortunately, were just slightly better than mediocre.

We didn't have time to use the movie coupons last night, but it gives us an excuse to go back. Of course, we'd definitely stay at the Wort again!

Having stayed a hundreds of hotels during my lifetime, I would highly recommend the Wort Hotel. Jackson Hole is typically very expensive and we got a great deal only because it was off season. During the summer and ski season, most of the rooms average $300 or more per night. Amangani and 4 Seasons are both terrific hotels but they are not on the main drag like the Wort. If you want to stay in a great place with a lot of history, wonderful adjoining restaurant, and in the middle of town, this is the place!

Linda
Tetonia, Idaho

• Liked — Beautiful, clean, upscale accommodations in the middle of town.
  • Disliked — Nothing...it was PERFECT!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MsSunriver
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 October 2008

After reading some so-so reviews on here before we left, I was a little concerned about what we might find. I am so glad I didn't listen to the complaints. Our room was amazing. Granted, we were staying there after 5 nights in national park lodging, which isn't known for its luxury, but I was seriously impressed by the Wort. We stayed in a king room on the main floor of the hotel. The quality of the room rivaled those of the best rooms we've had in posh hotels from Chicago to San Francisco -- the linens, the furnishings, the size and cleanliness of the room, the lighting, the leather chairs and marble coffee service, and gorgeous bathroom. All of it was outstanding. The only complaint I would have is concerning noise from the restaurant/saloon and from the street, but we travel with a white noise machine anyway, so all was well. Parking is not that big a deal. We found spots on the street immediately out front every day.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank madcityssl
Idaho
Reviewed 24 July 2008

Great place to stay. Clean and a great location to shopping and downtown. Staff was very pleasant and courteous. After reading some of the reviews we asked to make sure that the room was not by the bar area, our room was very quite. Parking can be a pain being that its a block or two from the hotel if you don't get the few street parking spot available, we did so it was not a pain.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Glendale, WI
Reviewed 16 July 2008

Booked a standard room for 4 nights via Hotels.com at last minute and was given a first floor room next to the gift shop - very quiet location. The room was perfect in every way. Great staff from the door people to the front desk to the concierge: cheerful, helpful, and personable. Highly recommended!

• Liked — Great beds, great location, great staff
  • Disliked — off site parking, a block away
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas
Reviewed 11 July 2008

Just back from Jackson Hole. Booked the Wort and paid an outrageous $300/night since I knew it was a historic hotel in a central location and it was the 4th of July Weekend.

Boy, have they ruined the Wort. Any sense of history has been carpeted over in rennovations. The hotel looked like any other contemporary hotel. What a shame! I was expecting something out of the Old West. Clearly they did not have any sense of preservation when they redid the hotel. There are photos on the wall showing the hotel in it's heyday. It looks so amazing. Maybe future owners will restore the hotel to its former glory. So don't be fooled that you are paying for any history or charm! You are paying for a name and location but that's it.

Our room, although it was on the "first" floor felt like it was in a former basement storage area. Our window was very small and overlooked the side of the huge metal A/C unit. NO View. The room was so small that you could not access more than one side of either queen bed.

There are no deadbolts on the door. Our handle lock was in such poor shape that I could have easily kicked the door in If I desired. We left our valuables in the car as I felt it was safer there.

Now, the staff was awesome!! Friendly and gracious. Gave us good advice about what to see in Grand Tetons and where to eat in Jackson. They made the hotel palitable.

The Grill is SO overpriced. A kids pasta dish is $9. Don't know about you, but I'm not used to paying $18 for my kids to eat mac and cheese! Not Grill prices that's for sure.

• Liked — The Staff was great!
  • Disliked — They've ruined any sense of history and Old West charm in "rennovations"
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank letstravelwithtwins
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa
Wyoming Inn of Jackson Hole
Rustic Inn Creekside Resort and Spa at Jackson Hole
Hotel Jackson
Hotel Jackson
#3 of 40 in Jackson
The Lexington at Jackson Hole
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole

Been to The Wort Hotel? Share your experiences!