“Exceptional rooms and beautifully, thoughtfully restored hotel"”
Review of The Wort Hotel

The Wort Hotel
Ranked #9 of 40 Hotels in Jackson
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 June 2009

From the moment you enter your room and are greated by the plush, cuddly toy grizzly bear on the bed, you know you are in for a wonderful stay. The bed was so comfortable we slept for 11 hours straight (the previous day we had hiked 10 miles in The Grand Tetons) Housekeeping did an exceptional job of cleaning the room and it was a wonderful cosy environment to relax in. Reception staff were friendly and helpful throughout our four night stay.

On Tuesday evening a live band performed and they were fantastic- One Ton Pig. Highly recommended, especially if you like to get up and dance-country style. The food in The Silver Dollar Bar is good value too. The Restauarant is a quieter setting.

The Hotel is located in the centre of town and it has ample parking in a nearby over-spill car park.

We will most definitely stay there again and have just written to the manager to offer our thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FionaWashingtonDC

Reviewed 20 March 2009

The staff was totally rude to me because my son was under 21 years of age. So, unless you want to be done with dinner before 6:00 p.m., you will be asked to leave the restaurant. When I objected to management, they totally ruined my stay there.
It's true that the rooms are nice, however this hotel is only 50 or 60 years old. It is hardly old enough to be a landmark. Besides, Auschwitz is a landmark also. Big deal.
As for claiming to be a ski resort, they are 12 or 13 miles from the Jackson Hole Ski Resort. There are many much nicer places substantially closer to the main mountain.
Please don't stay at the Wort Hotel, they are bad people.
As for the town, they are close to every schlock t-shirt joint you can imagine.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank ArtyP
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I was so impressed with the Wort Hotel from the amazing location, right in the heart of downtown Jackson, a block from the center square, to the rustic decor and amazing staff!! This hotel is part of the National Historic Hotels and has been recently renovated. My boyfriend and I went for a a 5 night stay and we felt right at home. We were within walking distance of great restaurants and nightlife!! The hotel provides a shuttle bus up to Teton Village for skiing and will take care of reserving other activities, if interested.

Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iheartmt
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We got a big, nice room with two queen beds. The hotel is located right in the center of Jackson. We were impressed with the cleanliness of the rooms. The housekeeping would even fold our clothes and put them away every day! :-) The breakfast (free), served in the hotel restaurant was also excellent!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EVO1234
Reviewed 15 November 2008

As a former hotel executive, I didn't know what to expect when my husband and I made a last minute decision to get away last night when our power went out. My husband found a "locals" package at the Wort Hotel which included 1 night's lodging, dinner for 2, and movie passes for 2 for $119 total (not per person). Since we live on the other side of the mountain pass from Jackson, it was an only an hour's drive away.

We were given a very quiet room on the top floor (207). The helpful desk clerk told us that the 59 rooms at the Wort have gone through a recent renovation. The place is beautiful! The furniture was all handmade and studded with actual old silver dollars. It was very obvious that much thought was given to the decor. From the Starbucks coffee in the room, to the generous supply of Aveda amenities, free bottled water (a rareity anymore!), "recycle or waste" trash containers, FREE internet, upscale linens and thick towels, we felt incredibly spoiled.

Since part of our package included dinner for 2 at the adjoining Silver Dollar Grill restaurant, we were worried that we would be limited to a plain burger and maybe jello for dessert. We were totally suprised when our waiter told us that although we were both limited to 2 course meals, we could order anything on the menu. For my 1st course, I ordered the unbelievable (and "famous", it was featured in Bon Appetit magazine) corn chowder. I was not disappointed! It was simply the best I've ever had with potato and bacon chunks, creamy sauce and lots of corn, all covered with a thick melted piece of cheddar and homemade croutons. By the way, they will give you the recipe if you ask. My 2nd course was a beef tenderloin filet with a cherry/cabernet reduction. It was incredibly tender and tasty! I paid for dessert, a homemade apple/caramel pie ala mode which I would eat every day if possible (and would not cause weight gain!!!). My husband ordered a caesar salad and blackened Idaho trout, which, unfortunately, were just slightly better than mediocre.

We didn't have time to use the movie coupons last night, but it gives us an excuse to go back. Of course, we'd definitely stay at the Wort again!

Having stayed a hundreds of hotels during my lifetime, I would highly recommend the Wort Hotel. Jackson Hole is typically very expensive and we got a great deal only because it was off season. During the summer and ski season, most of the rooms average $300 or more per night. Amangani and 4 Seasons are both terrific hotels but they are not on the main drag like the Wort. If you want to stay in a great place with a lot of history, wonderful adjoining restaurant, and in the middle of town, this is the place!

Linda
Tetonia, Idaho

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank MsSunriver
Reviewed 2 October 2008

After reading some so-so reviews on here before we left, I was a little concerned about what we might find. I am so glad I didn't listen to the complaints. Our room was amazing. Granted, we were staying there after 5 nights in national park lodging, which isn't known for its luxury, but I was seriously impressed by the Wort. We stayed in a king room on the main floor of the hotel. The quality of the room rivaled those of the best rooms we've had in posh hotels from Chicago to San Francisco -- the linens, the furnishings, the size and cleanliness of the room, the lighting, the leather chairs and marble coffee service, and gorgeous bathroom. All of it was outstanding. The only complaint I would have is concerning noise from the restaurant/saloon and from the street, but we travel with a white noise machine anyway, so all was well. Parking is not that big a deal. We found spots on the street immediately out front every day.

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank madcityssl
Reviewed 24 July 2008

Great place to stay. Clean and a great location to shopping and downtown. Staff was very pleasant and courteous. After reading some of the reviews we asked to make sure that the room was not by the bar area, our room was very quite. Parking can be a pain being that its a block or two from the hotel if you don't get the few street parking spot available, we did so it was not a pain.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa
Hotel Jackson
Hotel Jackson
#3 of 40 in Jackson
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole
Rustic Inn Creekside Resort and Spa at Jackson Hole
Teton Mountain Lodge & Spa - A Noble House Resort
Hotel Terra Jackson Hole, A Noble House Resort

Been to The Wort Hotel? Share your experiences!