“It was just okay”

Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Jackson
Oregon
Reviewed 6 May 2006

I heard great things about the Rusty Parrot but I wasn't very impressed. We wanted more of a mountain western feel and the Rusty Parrot was quite stuffy. It is just your average hotel setting where you share walls with loud skiers. It was just Blah! Like all the other motels. For the price I expected a little more which resulted in disappointment. Don't get me wrong it was nice but just stale atmosphere. Food is great and that is about it. I would next time try to find something with more of a western flare. Next time I am going to find a locally owned with more relaxation.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Hamden CT
Reviewed 19 April 2006

I first heard of the RPL on the Today show when it was named best small hotel in the US. Jackson Hole was not a place I ever considered traveling to before but a business trip to Salt Lake City found me only a 45 min flight away so I had to try it. It turned out to be one of my best vacation experiences ever! The staff catered to our every need from arranging snowmobiling, snowshoeing and transportation to and from our activities. As others mentioned the breakfasts were amazing and as an East Coast'r I loved the friendliness of everyone. Although I was somewhat disappointed there was no "main" spa they also went out of their way to meet our needs. We requested an impromptu message on the night we had arrived and they were able to deliver. There was nothing better then being picked up at your door to get a massage and then just walk across the hall back to your room when it was over! My idea of Heaven! The beds were cozy and plenty of pillows! I highly recommend the Rusty Parrot Lodge to anyone staying in Jackson Hole.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis, Mn
Reviewed 16 April 2006

My wife and I and our two teenage boys stayed for three nights in late March. Everyone absolutely loved the Rusty Parrot. My wife loved the room, the spa, the creative and delicious breakfasts included with the room rate. I had to pry my sons out of the comfy beds, and I loved the staff of truly friendly and helpful people. The Wild Sage was intimate and warm with a big fireplace (both for dinner and for the breakfasts). The Rusty Parrot is a special place and follows in the great western tradition of friendly hospitality. Clearly the owner takes great pains to hire the best staff and maintain a very high level of quality. Even the location is great---on a quiet side street close but not too close to the square and across from a lovely little park. Ideal for skiing (a short drive to the hill) or summer activities. We look forwards to a return soon.

Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 March 2006

After reading great reviews of the Rusty Parrot, our expectations were high. We took a trip in January to do some skiing & snowboarding - however, looking back we would have been just fine staying at the inn the entire time. We were not disappointed! From the moment we walked in, the service was top notch. Not the type of service that staff gives just because it's their job - but first class service from some great people. The room was wonderful...if it wasn't for the fabulous breakfasts that got us up each morning, we would have slept in all day in the comfortable beds. The free breakfasts are not like any others out there (i.e. continental). Creative, delicious entrees. We aren't big breakfast eaters, but we did not miss one. We dined at the Wild Sage for dinner, and it was one of the best meals we ever had. The spa was excellent as well. We can't wait to go back!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank Heather S
Reviewed 13 March 2006

We just returned from a 17 night stay at the Rusty Parrot Lodge and it was wonderful.

We found the front desk (and all of the staff) to be extremely competent and very helpful. No request was too much - they even returned a pair of boots that had been mis-matched so that I could enjoy my time out on the slopes. Recommendations on dining options and activities were excellent, any problems - such as a refund when one of the snowmobiles broke down on a Yellowstone tour were smoothly handled by the front desk and on top pf it all everyone was so warm and friendly - even greeting us on the slopes when they saw us.

The rooms were extremely comfortable - good mattresses, pillows, etc. And the food was superb! Particularly the breakfasts! Sadly after 17 days our waistlines clearly demonstrate that we enojyed them a bit too much.....

We can't recomment this hotel enough - we loved it and will definitely be back!

2  Thank kbynottinghill
Memphis, Tn
Reviewed 18 October 2005

The Rusty Parrot is a very nice hotel. The staff was cordial, the beds were great and the food was very good, however, My husband and I smoke and the hotel is smoke free. We knew this when we made our reservations. They do offer a smoking pot out by the storage area but do not have any seating (bench, chairs etc.) We ordered room service our first night. We did not smoke in our rooms. Our cigarettes were in plain view on the desk and obviously the delivery staff saw them. Not 30 minutes later we received a knock on the door telling us that we were disturbing the other guests by smoking in our rooms and that if we did not quit we would be fined $250.00 and asked to leave the hotel. Needless to say, this was very disturbing to be accussed of something we did not do. The next morning I asked the front desk staff why we were treated this way. One young man told me that they wanted to discourage people from smoking. I told him that we would always adhere to the rules of the hotel but it is not his place to dictate lifestyle for anyone. Afterall, they know they have smokers staying at the hotel or they would not provide the smoking pot.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 October 2005

I made my reservations at the RPL back in August after seeing the glowing Travel and Leisure review and other reviews here. I asked if we could stay for two days and was told the minimum was three days, but we could stay for two if we accepted a "seamless move" meaning we would stay in one room one night and then the staff would move our belongings to a second room when the latter room was clean. We were offered a discount for the inconvenience. I requested a top floor room and was told we would have "upper level" both nights.

There are three floors. RPL defines "upper level" as floors two and three. Lesson number one. If you ask for the top floor to avoid the elephants walking above you, don't accept "upper level."

We loved our Friday stay, although the restaurant took an hour and a half to bring our entrees. We were given complementary glasses of wine for the inconvenience. The food was quite good, but you can get a similar quality or even better quality meal at Stiegler's where the service smothers you with attention. To be fair, the breakfast at RPL can't be beat.

Seamless move? Try seam-filled move or what we call Grand Canyon Move. On Saturday morning, we received a letter confirming our belongings would be moved when the second room became available. We left the hotel Saturday morning, came back midday to freshen up only to find we had no room. Our belongings had been put in storage. Our first room was already cleaned for people who were checking in hours later, but our second room was not yet cleaned. The gal at the front desk told us to go to lunch. Not helpful.

We spoke to the assistant manager, told him we were roomless, where he told us no, we were NOT roomLESS, emphasis on less. And yet we had no room, our toothbrushes were stored away somewhere, and we had no sink even if we had our toothbrushes handy. Heaven forbid we were to get ill. We would have been better luck getting a bed at the local hospital than at the hotel where we had already paid for a bed.

They did make an effort to hasten the process. We waited at the hotel for a while then went to lunch (though we weren't hungry yet) then returned to find the room getting a last minute inspection. That inspection failed to find somebody's used shower cap hanging on the door of the bathroom. Go figure.

You would think return business would matter to RPL. And we live in Idaho. We can fill beds that with a three-night minimum stay would otherwise go empty. Next time, we're heading to the Four Seasons.

• Stayed: October 2005
10  Thank Jannel43
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Hotel Jackson
1 mi away
Wyoming Inn of Jackson Hole
Hotel Terra Jackson Hole, A Noble House Resort
Huff House Inn and Cabins

Been to Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!