“Fine, but Travel & Leisure Magazine is way off.”

Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Jackson
Washington D.C.
“Fine, but Travel & Leisure Magazine is way off.”
Reviewed 8 May 2006

We went to The Rusty Parrot in large part because Travel & Leisure magazine rated it the best hotel in America, or something along those lines. Upon checking in, we were truly baffled. The hotel is nice -- the rooms are pretty, the food is really good, and the service is friendly. But best hotel in America???? There is just no way that can be true. The hotel is located on the edge of the town, without any spectacular views, and the rooms are just average-sized (we stayed in a King room upstairs), with nice furniture and linens. The tub was slightly oversized, but the bathroom was generally pretty standard. If you are looking for a nice inn in Jackson, this is a good choice. If you are looking for something spectacular, as the reviews in Travel & Leisure suggest, you may be disappointed, as we were. In fact, we kept joking with each other all week -- "Well, we don't have a fridge in the room, or a view of anything but the parking lot, but it's the best hotel in America!" I don't want to disparage the place, as it was perfectly nice, but certainly did not blow us away as we were expecting based on what we'd read. Maybe if you stay in the fanciest room of all, you might feel differently, but we were left wondering how on earth Travel & Leisure gave it the review they did.

12 Thank King2502

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Reviewed 6 May 2006

Not impressed simple as that. It didn't help my experience that it was Jacksons WY off season and there was no where to eat, shop or go to the parks. Motel lacked off season service.

• Stayed May 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 May 2006

I heard great things about the Rusty Parrot but I wasn't very impressed. We wanted more of a mountain western feel and the Rusty Parrot was quite stuffy. It is just your average hotel setting where you share walls with loud skiers. It was just Blah! Like all the other motels. For the price I expected a little more which resulted in disappointment. Don't get me wrong it was nice but just stale atmosphere. Food is great and that is about it. I would next time try to find something with more of a western flare. Next time I am going to find a locally owned with more relaxation.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 April 2006

I first heard of the RPL on the Today show when it was named best small hotel in the US. Jackson Hole was not a place I ever considered traveling to before but a business trip to Salt Lake City found me only a 45 min flight away so I had to try it. It turned out to be one of my best vacation experiences ever! The staff catered to our every need from arranging snowmobiling, snowshoeing and transportation to and from our activities. As others mentioned the breakfasts were amazing and as an East Coast'r I loved the friendliness of everyone. Although I was somewhat disappointed there was no "main" spa they also went out of their way to meet our needs. We requested an impromptu message on the night we had arrived and they were able to deliver. There was nothing better then being picked up at your door to get a massage and then just walk across the hall back to your room when it was over! My idea of Heaven! The beds were cozy and plenty of pillows! I highly recommend the Rusty Parrot Lodge to anyone staying in Jackson Hole.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 April 2006

My wife and I and our two teenage boys stayed for three nights in late March. Everyone absolutely loved the Rusty Parrot. My wife loved the room, the spa, the creative and delicious breakfasts included with the room rate. I had to pry my sons out of the comfy beds, and I loved the staff of truly friendly and helpful people. The Wild Sage was intimate and warm with a big fireplace (both for dinner and for the breakfasts). The Rusty Parrot is a special place and follows in the great western tradition of friendly hospitality. Clearly the owner takes great pains to hire the best staff and maintain a very high level of quality. Even the location is great---on a quiet side street close but not too close to the square and across from a lovely little park. Ideal for skiing (a short drive to the hill) or summer activities. We look forwards to a return soon.

Stayed March 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 March 2006

After reading great reviews of the Rusty Parrot, our expectations were high. We took a trip in January to do some skiing & snowboarding - however, looking back we would have been just fine staying at the inn the entire time. We were not disappointed! From the moment we walked in, the service was top notch. Not the type of service that staff gives just because it's their job - but first class service from some great people. The room was wonderful...if it wasn't for the fabulous breakfasts that got us up each morning, we would have slept in all day in the comfortable beds. The free breakfasts are not like any others out there (i.e. continental). Creative, delicious entrees. We aren't big breakfast eaters, but we did not miss one. We dined at the Wild Sage for dinner, and it was one of the best meals we ever had. The spa was excellent as well. We can't wait to go back!!!!!

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank Heather S
London
Reviewed 13 March 2006

We just returned from a 17 night stay at the Rusty Parrot Lodge and it was wonderful.

We found the front desk (and all of the staff) to be extremely competent and very helpful. No request was too much - they even returned a pair of boots that had been mis-matched so that I could enjoy my time out on the slopes. Recommendations on dining options and activities were excellent, any problems - such as a refund when one of the snowmobiles broke down on a Yellowstone tour were smoothly handled by the front desk and on top pf it all everyone was so warm and friendly - even greeting us on the slopes when they saw us.

The rooms were extremely comfortable - good mattresses, pillows, etc. And the food was superb! Particularly the breakfasts! Sadly after 17 days our waistlines clearly demonstrate that we enojyed them a bit too much.....

We can't recomment this hotel enough - we loved it and will definitely be back!

2 Thank kbynottinghill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Hotel Jackson
Huff House Inn and Cabins
The Wort Hotel
The Wort Hotel
#11 of 40 in Jackson

Been to Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!