“Outstanding Service”

Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Jackson
California, Maryland
“Outstanding Service”
Reviewed 26 December 2006

We recently had a family gathering before the holidays in Jackson, Wyoming and chose the Rusty Parrot for all to stay. We have been in Jackson Hole area many times and have stayed at a wide variety of places between downtown and the Teton Village ski area. If you want to try staying in town for the convenience of shopping and restaurants, the Rusty Parrot by far exceeded our expectations mainly in the level of service they provided to us as visitors.

We had difficulty (as many do) getting into Jackson in the winter months making it necessary to drive in from Salt Lake vice the flight we expected to take. Not only did the front desk give us the best directions and weather enroute, but had a lovely bottle of wine and fresh fruit waiting in our rooms upon our late arrival into Jackson.

The rooms were exceptionally comfortable with down comforters and fireplaces making a winter trip there even more enjoyable. The room includes breakfast each morning in their fabulous seating area off of the lobby with a large river rock fireplace blazing away each day. The chef that we had mainly was "Edmond", and he was fantastic. Besides the specials available to pick from, he would make anything asked to accomodate your appetite that morning. The breakfasts were superb and the hospitality of the breakfast wait staff impeccable. Although we did not take advantage of dinner in the restaurant, it is lauded by all locals as one of the best places to eat in the town for a truly gourmet meal.

We did use the spa services, which - while not as "fancy" as the services you'll receive up in the Teton Village at the Avanyu Spa or others - were very convenient and relatively cheaper than most boutique spas for the services provided for great massage and therapy services.

Concierge and bell staff provided outstanding services by clearing cars on snowy days prior to our departure and arranging and recommending a large variety of activities....some at a much better rate than you could get on your own. What more could we expect?!

The only problems encountered was that one of the rooms occupied by our family was on the top floor, but still above the kitchen -- when in operation, it could be noisy as it appeared that the kitchen shared the same flue as our fireplace flue when the ventilator over the grill/oven was turned on (this was room 301 -- comfortable room, but had this issue between 6/7AM and restaurant closing). Now to become independently wealthy to become a full-time resident at the hotel!

The Rusty Parrot has it over all the others for the level of service provided in a western quaint and very comfortable environment.

• Liked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for room on third floor to minimize noise heard from others in hotel
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank holwin4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 28 September 2006

Easily lived up to our expectations of a very classy place to stay and we stay in upscale properties wherever we go. There are no negatives. Would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carlybaby1
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 September 2006

We recently stayed 3 nights at the Rusty Parrot. We were very pleased with the lodge and particuarly the staff. This is a lovely, small hotel. The decor is "refined western". Our room had a fireplace that we used every night. A call to the front desk and literally minutes later someone appeared to light it. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slep in and the bathroom was wonderful. This really feels like a place for adults. It is very quiet. We wanted to see wildlife and the staff was so helpful in telling us EXACTLY where and when to go to find bison and moose. We loved not needing reservations for breakfast or having to sign a check. We wanted to get up and out the door to explore. How nice to grab a cup of coffee and juice while your entree is being cooked. The whole place is very low key, but that doesn't mean the service isn't excellent AND friendly. We could stay at a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton in almost any city . But we wanted a place that felt like the west and not a cookie cutter resort. We found it at the Rusty Parrot. Is this "the best" hotel in the U.S.? Everyone has their own criteria. All I can say is that it is lovely, warm, comfortable, with terrific service and the friendly attitude of Wyoming. We really couldn't have been happier there.

5 Thank DaisyM03
Virginia
Reviewed 16 September 2006

We spent the previous 3 nights at more "rustic" accommodations in the National Parks so we were very pleased with our room at the Rusty Parrot. The room was spacious and the bed was so comfortable that we slept like babies. The hotel is expensive but for the most part it earns its "luxury" status. I disagree with the previous poster's comment about the bathrooms -- we definitely had a door on ours and the towels were very thick and soft. The hot tub was not operating when we were there, but they explained that and offered us the use of a hot tub in an adjoining property.

The staff was always friendly and helpful. The dining room was beautiful and inviting and the common room on the upper floor was a nice place to sit and read. The breakfasts were excellent with a variety of gourmet entrees on the menu each day. Although it was not advertised, they would make anything that you requested even if it wasn't on the menu. All in all we had a positive experience at the Rusty Parrot. The hotel had an elegant feel even though it was in a rustic area. We didn't really expect a fantastic "view" so we were not disappointed. We really liked being able to walk out the front door and into the downtown area in a few minutes.

Nothing is perfect, and there were a few things that could be improved -- relating to the dining room. The first morning at breakfast was very confusing -- some "instructions" would have been appreciated. Cups and glasses were hanging from above the counter, but not readily seen. People were walking around trying to figure out what to do. There are limited tables (only 6), and its not clear if newcomers are free to join others if there is space at their table or if they are supposed to sit around and wait for a table to be free. Other options for seating (the sofa in the dining room, upstairs in the sitting room, or even in one's own room) were not mentioned, but I saw prepared food being delivered upstairs so maybe they were options. We would have preferred some sort of reservation system or publicized instructions of the breakfast procedures so we could have planned our morning better.

We ate dinner in the dining room one night, but canceled our 2nd reservation. The setting is beautiful, the food is beautifully presented, service is friendly and prompt, but the menu is very limited. We loved the appetizers but were disappointed in our main entrees and there really wasn't anything else on the menu that we would have wanted to try another night. I ordered the beef tenderloin for dinner but had to send it back twice because it was too rare. Each time they started with a brand new piece of meat Instead of just cooking the one I had a little more. They were probably trying to do the right thing so the plate would be presentable, but it just made it worse because the meat never got to the medium state that I ordered. Since my husband was finished with his meal by the time got mine, I ended up just letting him eat the most of it since it was still too rare for me!

If we visit the Jackson Hole area again, we would definitely stay at the Rusty Parrot. Yes it was expensive, but for the most part it was worth it.

• Liked — comfortable bedding
  • Disliked — small dining room
3 Thank dsarah
Evergreen, CO
Reviewed 15 September 2006

We stayed at Rusty Parrot the last two nights of our weeklong Yellowstone trip. I wanted to end the trip in luxery, with a worldclass hotel stay, fancy dinner and spa treatment.
We were disappointed from the start in the accomodations. I had read that R.P. had been named #1 small hotel in the USA by Travel+Leisure magazine, so maybe my expectations were too high.
There are no balconies (at least not on our top-floor room). The view is of a run-down house in front of a big hill. The R.P. is located on a side street, so it's nice to walk downtown Jackson, but there are no views and no outdoorsy feel to it. I don't see how they won such a prestigous award since you look down on a parking lot.
The staff was very, very attentive. But the room was very mediocre. We spent $375/night and felt we'd way overspent. Our room was just a large hotel room with sparse decorating.
The bathroom was nice, but not fantastic like I expected. I've stayed in other places that go the extra mile with slate tiling and a mountain-y feel, but this is just regular cheap white tile, with no door. So, you freeze while you shower because you can't shut off that room. The towels reminded me of the stiff, cheap ones you get at a Motel 6. Why they can't splurge for higher thread-count towels seemed weird to us.
The spa isn't actually a spa. It's a room on the bottom floor. I was disappointed in that, but I did have a wonderful massage (one of the best ever) from Anna, so it made up for the lack of an actual spa experience.
We ended up cancelling our dinner reservations because the menu was so limited. We don't eat much red-meat and you only get a choice of 5 items. My brother had eaten there just weeks before we were there, and he said it was fantastic (just be prepared to pay $45 an entree).
We just didn't expect to have the problems that cheap hotels do. The hottub was broken our entire stay with no word and when it would be fixed. And taking a shower was an adventure because the water went from luke-warm to freezing several times while we showered. You'd expect them to have a better hot water heating system.
We aren't super-picky travellers and try to have a good attitude about things when they don't work quite right, but this was just such a big disapointment.

• Liked — Staff is excellent.
  • Disliked — Very mediocre for the money.
15 Thank mpaden01
chicago
Reviewed 2 July 2006

My wife and I just spent five nights at the Rusty Parrot. Our time there was great. The breakfasts there were fabulous, better then any B&B we have ever stayed at. The beds were VERY VERY comfortable, after long days in the Tetons and Yellowstone, we had no problems with the fantastic linens and pillows, probably the best we've ever had. We've stayed in the Bellagio and several other top notch facilites in Times square and Carmel, and this had equivalent quality beds.

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank petechicago
Temecula, California
Reviewed 23 May 2006

To start I don't like huge hotels. This lodge has only 32 rooms and never once did it feel like there was even that many. We stayed for 3 nights, May 11-14 and had a wonderful time, the little time we spent in the room. This trip was for seeing Yellowstone for the first time, and we wanted to be there when the south entrance opened. When we arrived at the Lodge we were greeted right away, and felt very welcomed. I booked us a King/Fireplace/Jacuzzi room, and got room 111. I had asked for the one on the 3rd floor but unfortunately it was not available due to some work being done it. There are only three of these kind and ours being on the first floor was half below ground. Although, you would never really notice because the window lets in lots of light. The bellman had us leave our bags for a moment while he gave us a nice tour of the lodge and all it had to offer, the library had some good books (but didn't read any), the deck on the upper floor was nice to hangout on, and the dinning room / common room was quite cozy. Not a whole lot of tables, and comfy couches in the center in front of a huge fireplace. They have a spa there but it's not your typical spa where it's all on it's own, we had two treatment rooms right next to our room. I looked around and wished I had some time to get a massage, maybe next time. We followed the bellman back to our bags then to our room. Nice! I like it! It was what I thought it would be when we walked in. A HUGE, HUGE tub in the room, (how about a swim..). I had previously ordered some chocolate strawberries and a dessert wine to be in the room, I was nicely surprised with their choice of wine. The bed was to die for and big, didn’t want to get up. We ate breakfast there every morning, since it was included and the food was good with small portions. But you can get more if you like. The only thing for me was that the Crème Brulee French Toast was not what I expected, but otherwise they were more than accommodating with all my breakfast requests and the potatoes were awesome! They have set out muffins, fruit, yorgurt and granola where you help yourself, and juices too, you go up to the counter and order your hot food and they bring it to your table. It's open seating for breakfast. Their menu changed every morning with good choices, but I always asked for something not on it and they were nice enough to make it for me. We had dinner there also, twice. On our first night I asked if they could make me some prawns for an appetizer, they were very nice in making them for me and they “hit the spot!” What a show, since the kitchen is right there in the open you can watch the chefs slave over your plate to make sure it's perfect. I had the Beef Tenderloin twice because it was delicious! I wanted more. Needless to say my plate was clean. The greens salad was very good too. I learned then that what I thought were "onions" were actually leeks..oops! I asked for some extra of those crispy leeks on the second night…good stuff. The front desk people we very helpful even when we came back late one night and needed help finding a place to eat. The room was always nice and tidy and when we came back it was turned down. They offer wireless internet, and room service. We used the wireless, but didn’t get a chance to order room service. They have several items that are in the room for sale if you like. When it came time to go, they set me up on their computer to print out our boarding passes and we checked out. They gave me this spicy snack mix that was perfect for when we were at the airport and on the plane. When we were out killing time before our flight and didn't know where to eat, we came back and asked for their help and very nicely the gal directed us to two places. We picked her favorite and we liked it. We really enjoyed our time there, and it’ll definitely be my choice whenever we go back to Jackson.

• Stayed May 2006
13 Thank Veroaleli
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Hotel Jackson
The Wort Hotel
The Wort Hotel
#11 of 40 in Jackson
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole

Been to Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!