“Where heaven meets earth!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Amangani

Amangani
Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in Jackson
Boston, Massachusetts
“Where heaven meets earth!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2011

The Amangani is a truly perfect resort in every way. To set the stage, my wife and I travel often and we stay in top rated hotels and resorts around the world. We are quite particular about accommodations, food and service. Upon arrival you are greeted by staff and management in a way that makes you feel like you have just arrived at your own estate. You are quickly ushered to a lovely well appointed room with views that seem surreal. Stress just melts away as you begin to realize this will be an outstanding experience. The food, spa, pool, lounges -- everything exceeds expectations. But I must say again, as much as this resort offers in beauty and comfort, the staff is more than one would expect. They are all knowledgeable, friendly, and go out of their way to make you feel like you are the only person at the Amangani. I promise, you will not be disappointed with this place!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Erik_and_Stephanie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

We just returned from a perfect girls weekend at Amangani. The views from the Amangani are truly breathtaking. The property has a zen mountain feel to it. The hotel was spotless and well maintained but had a bit of a worn feel to it. I found it rugged and charming but some might prefer a newer property for the high priced rooms.

The service was perfect--there always seemed to be a handful of friendly employees to help with whatever you should need. They always know who you are and address you by name. They offer BMW X5 shuttle service to wherever you need to go ($35 each way).

We enjoyed breakfast and lunch at the hotel. The menu was varied and interesting. We had massages/facials at the hotel which were excellent. The spa has a nice locker room with a perfectly heated steam room. We booked a private yoga class through the spa and the instructor was good but not great. We spent our late afternoons swimming and soaking in the gorgeous infinity pool/jacuzzi overlooking the valley.

The highlight of the trip was our hiking trip with Hole Hiking Experience on Shadow Mountain. We did an 8 mile loop with a naturalist guide and even spotted a Bison on the trail (fortunately for us, he ran off when he heard our voices). Eating lunch at the top with a view of the Tetons was a perfect way to enjoy the day with old friends.

The Amanagani is expensive but well worth it for Aman junkies like myself. We will definitely return soon.

Room Tip: Suite 35 has amazing views.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank nmieke
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

This property will impress those that expect more than the usual. The surroundings are gorgeous and serene, the property itself is done beautifully, the food is truly outstanding (even the mundane items like french toast and oatmeal at breakfast are raised to a higher level), the spa treatments of high quality, and the staff is probably among the "coolest" I've ever met and it was really stimulating to get into conversations with the various people at the hotel who also represent a wide geographic constituency. Your concierge might have been riding a bronco at the local rodeo the previous night, for all you know. This was my first "Aman" hotel group experience and it probably won't be my last. You get a high level of service and attention here and the whole package is actually rather inspiring. I was expecting more offbeat Asian kinda weird, but it was actually very mainstream and very well calibrated throughout the property and in the room itself. The fact that I felt treated very individually might have been helped by the fact that the hotel was minimally occupied during the time I was there but I think that with only 40 rooms you'd be treated well no matter what. The Grand Teton Suite is gorgeous and you really want to be facing the mountain range if you are going all the way to be at this property; most rooms don't face the Teton mountain range. The Sena suite has the same view but instead of a terrace you are at ground level and it is a better space for a family with up to 2 kids since the hotel doesn't have connecting rooms and the Grand Teton Suite is not really amenable to a rollaway. The bathrooms are pretty standard across all the rooms (I saw about 5 of them). Massages are easy to book; the other treatments more likely need 24 hours advance notice otherwise I found that they have trouble getting people booked to provide them. I also was initially put off at the $35 charge to get into town cited by other reviewers but actually it's not outrageous given that town is close to a 15 minute drive away and the person who takes you one way still has to go back empty. Taxis were not that much less and in town it's not easy to get one and at least you can walk up to the door and have somebody take you into town or call up from town in the rain and have somebody come and get you (at least when I was there in a not so full hotel). They have nice cars and the people driving you are quite interesting to talk to; the guests in the hotel tend to be interesting people too. The jacuzzi and pool are beautiful. The gym was small but adequate; most people come here to be sporty outdoors. There are PC's you can use but I found the internet service rather slow. The safari tour led by a member of the hotel staff was excellent. I found the Four Seasons by the skiing village to be dark and ordinary, and I had to wait 25 minutes for a taxi to leave the hotel. Unless you wanted to be right by the lifts, I can't imagine why you wouldn't stay at this place if you had to choose between the two properties. I was told by other guests that you could do Yellowstone in a day but I personally would want to stay there overnight if I were driving 60 miles each way just to reach the park's entrance. I found plenty of things to like about the surrounding area with its Teton Park without feeling I needed to go to Yellowstone. Jackson Wyoming is a bit like a Northern Exposure episode -- too many too intelligent people stuck in the middle of nowhere mainly because they came by during their college years and fell in love with the place. Your safari guide might have a dual degree in molecular biology and theater. Not an easy place to get to, but actually not so bad either. Within 25 minutes of an airport that can be reached nonstop from Chicago, Denver and Salt Lake City hubs. Two criticisms of this place: 1. In my suite, the hot water tap had to run close to 5 minutes throughout my stay for the water to get hot for bath or shower. I mentioned it but I guess they couldn't fix it. 2. I was given a bottle of wine upon arrival presumably as a gift of the hotel. I mentioned twice at different times that I don't drink. They didn't take it back. Finally, the next day I brought it back. They never replaced it with something else during the remainder of my 3 night stay. Other high-end properties generally replace it with something else such as a plate of chocolate covered strawberries or a pitcher of freshly squeezed juice. For a property that stresses the "individual" over the "customer", I felt they didn't meet their own standard on this type of thing. So those two points keep this kind of place from getting a perfect score but aside from those things you can pretty much gather that this place gets a 95 out of 100. I came here on the strength of 2 hummingbirds from Andrew Harper's Collection on a last minute whim when my trip to beautiful places in France and Italy that week suddenly got canceled due to Air France screwing up my flight reservations and not being to put things back into place -- I did not come away disappointed in the least. I must say that this trip to Wyoming made me rethink my tendency to default to Europe -- the food here was certainly as good as anything I would have had in the hotels over there and the setting was truly beautiful. America has some really great places to visit; Wyoming is one of them. I took a gamble on a total unknown and came away willing to come back again.

Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank 649ic
Keller, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

This resort was an amazing getaway for a couples family get away. We decided at the last minute to take a week away from the TX heat and chose wisely! We actually got into some pretty cold WY weather, though. The resort was so beautiful, tucked up in the hills outside of Jackson Hole. Because of its size, the staff knew us by name and in the 5 days, never forgot who we were. We took advantage of the 24-hour access to the pool, hot tub, and the fitness room, all of which were spotless (not sure when they made sure towels and drinking water were restocked!) The restaurant was very good, but we did take the opportunity to go into JH to try other places as sometimes top-resort food can get old and pricey. Overall, though, great place - great beds, great view, great staff!

Room Tip: Second floor may be best for view of valley.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kalitaylor
Austin TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

I spent two nights at this hotel with a family member. I had heard about it on a TV program about Grand Teton National Park, and the pictures (views of the hotel and from the hotel) looked impressive, so when we decided to make that trip to Jackson, WY, I knew we had to spend some time at this hotel. I wish it were not so expensive ($595 a night, before "supplements", see later note...), as we would have stayed there longer. We booked the room with American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts program (FHR), which provides a room upgrade if available upon check-in, free continental breakfast for two daily, early check-in/late check-out, and a special amenity per stay that varies with each hotel (in this case, a massage treatment per person). While some points in this review may only be interesting for Amex FHR customers, other points apply to every customer.

We were coming from another hotel in the area (a cheaper one..) and therefore wanted to use the early check-in really early... We called the Amex travel service to ask when early check-in was possible, and asked them to confirm the availability (or not) of an upgraded room. Amex called back a few minutes later, with a message from the hotel that we could check-in immediately and that the upgrade was available. This was the first positive point, as I have rarely seen a hotel offer a room before the late afternoon; either their maids work fast, or they were not that busy...

Upon arrival, we were immediately greeted, our luggage taken care of, without even having to tell them our name. We were shown the various parts of the hotel in a quick visit before we were taken to the room. The room was large, with a huge balcony facing the mountains and overlooking a small pond and the pool. Only one king bed (that's a negative point: they do NOT have "suites" with two queen beds, so when you are traveling with your mother-in-law, you either share the same king-size bed, or they can separate the two mattresses that constitute the kind bed, and you have to sleep in a half king-bed, i.e. something not even as wide as a single bed; when traveling with kids, you have to get another room, which makes even more expensive and therefore not such a good place for large families, except if they are millionaires..). A flat-screen TV, not very large but good enough to watch from the bed, with a DVD reader (they have a library with books and DVDs!). A Bose system with an iPod extension, to use as a wake-up system. A small rock table with a few chocolates for your palate, a medium-sized bench to relax, the usual minibar. The bathroom, which has a side with more bench-space and drawers, has two sinks facing each other, a large bath tub along part of the window (just to enjoy a bath as there is no hose to rinse yourself), an additional shower on one side of the bathtub and the toilet on the other side, both with the rest of the window... Therefore, you enjoy beautiful views even in the shower or on the toilet... A cup of huckleberry cider was waiting for us, and was really delicious!

At that point, you sign a note stipulating that 18% combined service and tax will be added to every part of your bill. This is what I called earlier the "supplements". While the bell-hop explains you that when going to their restaurants, you will never sign a bill as they add 18% to whatever you take, bear in mind that the 18% also apply to the full price of the room (read carefully the fine print, which I did not do carefully enough as I listened to that bell-hop...)!!! While the I understand that they add the tax, I have never seen a hotel add a service charge to the room itself. Does hotel not mean anymore that rooms come with basic service? If this is a compulsory service charge, that means it should be part of the room price - but maybe they do not want to scare people with even higher prices - . That was one big negative point. The other inconvenient of not signing a bill when you have a meal is that you never know how much they charge for drinks (water, more cider, etc..) unless you specifically ask, and you may worry that they mix up your dinner with someone else's (which, I think, luckily did not happen, but I wonder how they manage to do that when the hotel is fully booked).

A few other points about the room: the bed was very comfortable, a bug screen is installed so you can open the balcony door without inviting our insect friends. One issue is that the architect certainly wanted a refined environment and therefore hid all power sockets (except those used for the TV system), which makes it difficult to even use them without calling for help to locate them. Some were on the side of the under-sink cupboard, others hidden below the large piece of wood where the telephone stands, together with the cabled-internet socket. By the way... you cannot really have someone call you as you are falling asleep because the telephone (fully wired) is not anywhere near the bed. I think that even though the room was very nice, architectural beauty should not win against practical use. Those were only minor inconveniences anyway. There was initially no coffee machine in the room, but we requested one, and they brought one machine together with freshly-ground coffee. They call the rooms "suites", although there is no real separate lounge, but I agree that they are large and nice.

Dinner at the grill was good. Service was great, and the food was delicious too. I do like game, I often choose elk or venison when available. We had eaten a few days before at the Four Seasons in Teton village, where they had a piece of elk, and I chose the elk again at Amangani. I remember that the elk at one place was more tender but less tasty than at the other place, however I cannot remember which place had the tender and which place had the tasty... The grill (where breakfast also takes place), like everything else, overlooks the valley, and you may catch a glimpse of the occasional woodchuck or red-tailed hawk while eating.

Breakfast was also delicious (tip: they bring some honey yogurt and really delicious berry-"gastrique" when you order a plate a fruits), however breakfast service was horrendously slow, for no real reason we could see, and it is very frustrating to wait and wait and wait when you want to enjoy the beautiful nature of Yellowstone or the Tetons. They bring almost everything at once, when bringing each dish after the other could help reduce the initial wait. They did refill our drinks as needed. Good point is that they are reasonable about the definition of "continental breakfast" (see my review of St-Regis Houston for comparison..): we did order fruits, cereals, toasts and butter, a hard-boiled egg, juice, coffee and a hot chocolate, and everything (but the 18% service charge) was free thanks to FHR.

The massage at the spa was nicely done and very relaxing.

The gym, strangely, is very, very small for such a place. Just a few treadmills and ellipticals and some other tools (dumbbells, etc.) in a very small room. There is another empty gym room used for mat-Pilates and yoga but apparently the instructor was sick or it was too early in the season (cannot remember exactly). The swimming pool is a jewel. A long lap pool, made with natural stones, heated at ~80degF (27deg Celsius), overlooking part of Jackson hole, with a small hot tub (water around body temperature). Swimming in that pool when the air temperature is around 50degF (10deg Celsius), especially when almost nobody else wants to go out in only a swimsuit and you are alone with mother nature, is pure bliss.
The locker rooms are large, with bathrobes provided for gym/spa/pool users in the lockers, a steam room (not used), showers, combs and hairbrushes, blow-dryer, and more. The strange urinals in the men's room however are another example of nice-looking but unpractical design, as they look more like what the Romans had (I will avoid more details..). Once again, the power sockets were hidden, and this time completely at the end of under-sink cupboards. Plugging-in the blow-dryer was almost impossible, and when plugged in, the length of the power cable taken unavailable made blow-drying your hair unpractical. The first time I came in also, locks in the lockers were quite loose.

The management does listen carefully to every comment (except when suggest they add the service part of the 18% supplement on the room to the room price, a policy which they certainly will not change), and after I signaled the issue with the power sockets and locks in the locker rooms, they repaired the locks immediately and plugged-in the blow-dryer so one did not have to crawl under the sink to do it. Very, very reactive, which is rare in a hotel.

One other small negative point: when the maids cleaned up our room (two maids are cleaning up each room to do it faster), they broke the control for hot water in the bathtub, and did not report it to their manager as we could not use it the next day (as this was our last day, we did not have time to have it repaired). Also, they did not replace a few items that had been used: it looked like the bathtub soap was already half-used when we arrived in the room the first day, and we hid one piece of soap that was near one sink so they could replace it and we could use it in the bathtub, but they did not replace it... We do not know if this was the hotel management directions because that was our last day or just the maids not being fully professional.

Last item, the other provides free transfer to and from the airport, in their new BMW X5, which avoids one calling a taxi. On the other hand, if you want the hotel to drive you to or from town, it will cost you $35 one-way (or $70 per hour), which I find really exaggerated.

Summary:
Good points:
- Beautiful views from everywhere in the hotel, including your toilets..
- Very responsive management
- Great personalized service
- Good dinner service
- Amazing swimming pool
- Comfortable bed
- Delicious breakfast
Bad points:
- Much more expensive than other places (but worth it)
- 18% tax+service combined fee also added to room price, which was already high (hence 3* for Value)
- Tiny gym (thus only 3* for spa)
- Hidden power-sockets and generally nice design at the expense of practicality (room-telephone location, etc.)
- Hot water in bathtub broken by the maids who did not report it
- Exaggerated prices for additional services such as transportation to/from town
- Slow breakfast service (thus only 4* for restaurant)
- No rooms with two large beds (thus only 4* for sleep quality)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank TXAustinTravel
Vail, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2011

My wife and I spent the last few nights of our recent trip to JH at Amangani and all I can say is "WOW". Many of the other reviews (positive and negative) of this place seem right on. It is true that the furnishings could use a little TLC, but the service and the overall presentation outshine any minor imperfections. The rooms/property/views are beautiful, but it is the personalized services that set Amangani apart.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rjtrvlr
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

Having been here twice, both times with a large number of family members, this is an amazing resort! Very comfortable rooms, and an amazing outdoor heated swimming pool, which is very relaxing after a long day of skiing and is beautiful when its snowing and you are warm inside it! The resorts location requires transportation to be arranged to go to the ski slopes, however this is organized by the hotel staff wonderfully! Overall both times I had a wonderful stay!

• Stayed January 2010
6 Thank JPiworld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Jackson Hole
Rusty Parrot Lodge and Spa
Rustic Inn Creekside Resort and Spa at Jackson Hole
Hotel Jackson
Hotel Jackson
#3 of 41 in Jackson
Teton Mountain Lodge & Spa- A Noble House Resort
Hotel Terra Jackson Hole, A Noble House Resort

Been to Amangani? Share your experiences!